Home – New Forums Starting your journey Good Idea How to execute

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sydney1234
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi, I think I have a good idea for a niche product from manufacturer in china. They dont have an AUS distributor, so wanted to try become one. Unfortunately I have no idea of the market but feel there is definately but how big.
    Basically my strategy was to market this product to get a feel for interest before I spend capital. Become a gateway between manufacturer and consumer. My concern is that I dont want to market a product for someone else with the upfront resources to take my idea. I stumbled across this idea and am trying to run with it. If anyone could offer some advice or address any of the above concerns it is much appreciated.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Sydney1234,

It’s a very good, and big, question you ask :) With the global nature of distribution online these days products that are in demand tend to find a market pretty quickly, so having the idea is less important than implementing the sales/marketing/distribution channels. One thing I’ve heard a few times is that ‘you can’t sell a secret’, so I don’t think you can worry too much about someone else running with the idea, as it needs to come out eventually.

One low cost option could be set up some sales in an online marketplace like eBay or Etsy (depending on product type) to test the market and demand, before investing further.

Before that researching the product/market/competition etc and contacting the manufacturer for more information would also seem a good next step.

Cheers
    Peter

sydney1234
    Up

Hi and Thanks for your reply much appreciated
    I have been in contact with the manufacturer and have permission to use / link to their site, any images and logo etc. Basically set myself up as the AUS distributor.
    I have samples arriving today, and was thinking to prepare an e-pamphlet for marketing to some large retailers etc. I bought some hosting to play with, I didnt really wish to lose a fair % of the profit to the likes of ebay.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction for links to threads about how to approach / market to retailers etc.
    Any advice on a beginners e-commerce platform for a massive 5 products to start with.
    Thanks again

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    sydney1234, post: 221560, member: 71716 wrote:
    I didnt really wish to lose a fair % of the profit to the likes of ebay.

Hi Sydney1234, I must say I have a good laugh whenever I see this comment, it gets repeated often so don’t worry.

But when you sit down and go through some of the costs which are run out on this forum alone for setting up your own website, than I start thinking well are EBay’s (or others) fee’s really that high. In particular when you are just setting out. And if you think about it using Ebay , if you actually set it up right there is absolutely no charge (did I say zero) from Ebay unless you actually sell an item. And than have you actually checked out their fee’s once you do sell.

Now let me think of the costs of setting up your own sales channel (oh and that’s before you sell one item).

No I don’t work for Ebay, but just a thought that it is actually a good and I’m even going to say Cheap, method of starting and trialing a new product.

sydney1234
    Up

Hi and thanks for taking the time to respond to my Newb question.

You are probably right about E-bay, probably have to investigate that, afterall I dont have to stay forever right and % can be offset with a slight markup I suppose plenty of room for that.

My marketing / sales channel was to visit FB groups and appropriate forums etc and mention the product and drop a link to manufacturers site.
    Is this a feasible way to attract initial attention is this appropriate online etiquette ?
    I literally have 4 products to start with but only 1 I wish to market to large chemist retailers.
    Once again thanks to all those that offer assistance.
    Much appreciated

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    sydney1234, post: 221572, member: 71716 wrote:
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to respond to my Newb question.

You are probably right about E-bay, probably have to investigate that, afterall I dont have to stay forever right and % can be offset with a slight markup I suppose plenty of room for that.

My marketing / sales channel was to visit FB groups and appropriate forums etc and mention the product and drop a link to manufacturers site.
    Is this a feasible way to attract initial attention is this appropriate online etiquette ?
    I literally have 4 products to start with but only 1 I wish to market to large chemist retailers.
    Once again thanks to all those that offer assistance.
    Much appreciated

I have no idea how you would go using FB and forums,

The question I would be asking myself, is how would I plan on making the financial transaction that goes with the sale.

And do I really want my potential clients going direct to the manufacturers website, one of your concerns in your original post was you doing the promoting and someone else stealing the idea. And now you are planning to give them the key to the door. I know they can most likely find the key if they really wanted to, but do you want to tell them which door mat to look under.

sydney1234
    Up

Again you are correct & Again I contradict myself :)
    No I do not wish to give them the key. I wish to facilitate sales and make a cut inbetween
    This is the conundrem I face and the how do I do it to benefit ME !
    Could you further elaborate on the below statement please, I am lost as to whether you mean what sort of payment system I wish to implement or Would I buy that product myself ?

“The question I would be asking myself, is how would I plan on making the financial transaction that goes with the sale.”

Thanks again for your time

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    sydney1234, post: 221575, member: 71716 wrote:
    Could you further elaborate on the below statement please, I am lost as to whether you mean what sort of payment system I wish to implement or Would I buy that product myself ?

“The question I would be asking myself, is how would I plan on making the financial transaction that goes with the sale.”

Thanks again for your time

It was aimed at how do you plan on collecting the money from the client, if you are only promoting on FB or through forum, somewhere somehow the client needs to be able to make a payment to you.

From what I understand of your proposed sales, you advertise on forums and FB, send the client to the manufacturers website to view the product. But some where from there they need to make a payment to you. ie. shopping cart or some other payment platform.

MaraRoberts
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Most Facebook groups won’t want you to be selling in their group. Groups that do allow selling get bombarded with posts and people stop reading them in any case.

I would look at building a website for you to drive traffic to. With WordPress this is quick and inexpensive.

Also, find a way to add value for your local suppliers. I am not sure what you are selling but maybe consider having a website with training videos or how-to style videos.

Best of luck!

sydney1234
    Up

Hi again

Yeah the idea was to send to the manufacturers site which is pretty bl%$dy good and professional. There is NO option for purchases on their site, for me to get some samples sent I had to email [USER=32116]@Sales[/USER] and get PayPal details. They are not setup for that.
    So then the customer would have to come back to my site, which is basically a small store and the transaction takes place and I organise delivery etc.
    Thats pretty much my plan
    I will look into E-bay, thanks for your assistance bb1
    Any further thoughts would love to hear.

sydney1234
    Up

Hi thanks

I dont want to be annoying people on FB Twitter etc purely just to throw it out there and thats it.
    I have had a wordpress suggestion will. look at that again. I am still playing with a site but never done this so is beating me at the moment.
    A web page with 4 products and a place to take tranactions should have had something up 5 days ago. :(
    Thanks again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.