Home – New Forums Find the help you need Good, reliable Apple Mac tech needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any recommendations of who I can contact to get my aging iMac up to speed?

Its an early 2008 iMac with 2GB of DDR2 Ram and a 320GB Hitachi SATA HDD, currently running OSX Yosemite – bought from someone off Gumtree. Works perfectly, just a little slow.

Looking to upgrade to as much RAM as I can stick in it, and replace the old 320GB SATA HDD with an SSD maybe?…

I’m in Forest Lake, QLD, so Ipswich, Springfield etc would be good.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers
    Brad

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Brad,

We’ll put a shout out on social media for you and see if we can rustle up any recommendations – stand by, and apologies in advance if you don’t hear back from us till Monday or Tuesday… things will get busier again then.

Cheers,
    Jayne

bradzo
    Up

Thank you Jayne!

I love Flying Solo!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Brad I would ask is it worth upgrading a 2008 anything (mac or PC), with RAm and HDD, as the technology and CPU is still 2008 vintage. I know in $ terms you will be better off, but the underlying technology is still 7 years old, and technology has moved many many times in that timeframe.

bradzo
    Up

Hi Bert

Yes I agree – but this current iMac was $300 !!
    And it runs Yosemite (the latest) so loathe to chuck it out.
    :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Bumping up the RAM is pretty straight forward … I took an iMac from 4GB of Ram to 12GB, took about 5 to 10 minutes.

Hard drive might be challenge though, probably need some secret tool to even get inside it.

Got any certified Apple repair guy’s nearby? I don’t know if they’re typical but we have a computer store in a nearby regional town, they do PC stuff too, but are certified to get their hands dirty inside a Mac. I’ve had a couple of things done and the price wasn’t outrageous (certainly a lot cheaper than a new iMac).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.