Home – New Forums Get productive Good secret, or just poorly sold

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

Is the small business festival a well kept secret or just poorly advertised.

I have just started noticing the advertising on Flying Solo, but otherwise I and many others I have spoken to had no idea it was on, and when you consider over a third of the festival is gone, not sure if many people have turned up.

It reminds me of the event the Victorian Government put on last it it also was poorly advertised, and when I enquired, it was not available to 70% of the small business community.

Great to see it advertised here, and hopefully they actually consult small business next year so that it is relevant, useful and better advertised.

Sorry FS if I am breaching one of your guidelines, I will understand if this one disappears..

Bert

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    bb1, post: 197252 wrote:
    Is the small business festival a well kept secret or just poorly advertised.

I have just started noticing the advertising on Flying Solo, but otherwise I and many others I have spoken to had no idea it was on, and when you consider over a third of the festival is gone, not sure if many people have turned up.

It reminds me of the event the Victorian Government put on last it it also was poorly advertised, and when I enquired, it was not available to 70% of the small business community.

Great to see it advertised here, and hopefully they actually consult small business next year so that it is relevant, useful and better advertised.

Sorry FS if I am breaching one of your guidelines, I will understand if this one disappears..

BertI agree that there is more that could more done from the government.

However, our event was very well attended, but most of these people came from our marketing.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Bert

Thanks for your comment. It’s a little hard for us to judge as we know and see LOTS to do with the festival as Supporting Partners.

I know the Vic.Gov people plan the Festival events very carefully and have a thorough campaign of promotion. From what I’ve heard, events have been very well attended…but they’ve missed you in their marketing it seems!

So far we’ve been involved in a couple of webinars (with one more to come) and they’ve been hugely popular. This Wednesday’s had over 800 registrations, with 400+ joining live.

Anyways, it’s certainly harder and harder to get us soloists out of our businesses and to events, but personally I still love a face-to-face gathering.

Perhaps you can join us at the upcoming Small Business, BIG Marketing event, the line up of speakers is v impressive and Peter and I will be there.

Details and a special member offer here.

Robert :)

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up

I just attended an event today put on by the New York area director of a major email service provider. She flew to Perth, and there were 20 businesses who turned up.

Robert, I remember when you came to Perth last year, and about half the expected businesses showed. By the way, you were an excellent speaker.

This is typical of small business owners.

Too busy working in their business, to pull back and work ON their businesses.

After 10 years in business (sold that one), and now on my second, I think the biggest culprit is the distraction of social media.

Social media marketing anxiety is rife.

I think business owners are too distracted by too many ‘should I do that’ and are spreading themselves too thin. And one of the problems is that they are missing their excellent events, and places where real experts can help them with their business.

Jenny

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 197366 wrote:
    IAfter 10 years in business (sold that one), and now on my second, I think the biggest culprit is the distraction of social media.

Social media marketing anxiety is rife.

I solved that problem 2 years ago, no social media its bliss

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks for your kind words Jenny.

I’m not sure we can level all the blame on social media. Events have long been a bit hit and miss and the truth is we all book our places with the best intentions, but on the day other priorities can take hold.

The main thing I guess is we should acknowledge that we’re fortunate there are so many good quality events going on and as long as we choose carefully we can benefit in so many ways.

I feel sorry for the NY person you mention, at least she/he got to visit Perth!

Robert

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.