Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Adwords

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bubbling With Energy
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

My business Bubbling With Energy Entertainment is one of the largest amusement and entertainment companies in Sydney and we hire Jumping Castles, Clowns fairies etc.

We are a huge user of Googleadwords and have had great success in the past. However we are seeing some pressure on our cost per click of late and some click costs are well above $5 a click. I had a telephone chat with Google (yep they called me) and the guy I had running my adword campaign in my office had not realised that you could have negative keywords. I was then presented by the google rep with 23000 keywords that google had added, supposedly relating to the keywords we had added over the years. We were getting enquiries from Tuscon Arizona wanting to hire a jumping castle which we only hire in Sydney and wollongong. We also noticed that we were being charged for keywords such as “mansions for rent” and “houses for rent sydney” which I assume Google’s computer had seen the word “castle” and related it back to “mansions” and “houses”. Those clicks were costing us more than $5 a click.

As a result I paused all campaigns and have painstakingly gone through the 23000 keywords and deleted many. I am guessing my costs will come down by around 38%. Has anyone had this problem ?

By the way if you would like to promote your business in sydney or wollongong there is nothing better than a Jumping Castle out the front of your business.

iamsparro
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hi Bubbling. Missing negative keywords can hurt, that’s for sure.

You might also like to try exact and phrase match keywords, rather than broad match (which I assume you are using?).

Exact match is exactly that – it’ll only trigger for the exact phrase. Phrase match only triggers if the phrase is exact or included in a longer phrase.

That allows you to greater monitor which keywords are converting.

You could also try phone tracking – it’d probably suit your business. I recommend Jet Interactive – http://www.jetinteractive.com.au/

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

not setting your geographical preference and using broad match without constant monitoring of your search query reports for (and adding) negative matches are very basic errors. There are others such as having too many keywords and a small budget!

Try what iamsparro suggests until you know what you are doing. I’d also suggest switching on the view of your keyword quality scores and working on your adgroups – you should not have to pay that much per click for those keywords, improving your quality scores will bring the cost down, you can see more on that: Understanding Your AdWords Quality Score

iamsparro
    • Total posts: 65
    Up
    Aidan, post: 84566 wrote:
    Hi there,

not setting your geographical preference and using broad match without constant monitoring of your search query reports for (and adding) negative matches are very basic errors. There are others such as having too many keywords and a small budget!

Good point – I forgot the geo settings: that’s an obvious one if you’re getting leads from outside the country / region.

Bubbling With Energy
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi All,

Great work by you all, thanks so much for your input. I will take all of that on board.

Regards

Mark

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Something simple and easy that should be done with EVERY AdWords account as well is automated report emails.

Just go into your Analytics (that should be tied to your AdWords account and if it isn’t… SHAME), click on the AdWords stuff until you find one that shows you keywords and costs (or just create one in the Custom Reports tab) and then choose to have that one emailed to you every day.

BAM! You get a PDF dropped into your inbox every morning that tells you how you’re doing.

Keep track of this stuff is going to make your life much, much simpler.

Good luck!

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

The simple moral to this story – be very careful in adopting Google’s recommendations. They are generated by machines, and if broadly adopted can rapidly turn your Adwords account to crap.

I agree with Aidan’s suggestions about quality score, bid price etc
    There are two ways to tackle geographic targeting – and you should do both.

1) set up a campaign (or campaigns) that runs Australia wide, but includes a place name with every keyword string e.g. ‘jumping castle wollongong’, ‘jumping castle sydney’. Make separate ad groups and ads for each keyword theme and place name.

2) set up another campaign (or campaigns) that are targetted only at your geographic service area but use generic keywords e.g. ‘jumping castle’

All local businesses should adopt this approach when running PPC campaigns.

PowerofWords
    • Total posts: 179
    Up
    Aidan, post: 84566 wrote:
    I’d also suggest switching on the view of your keyword quality scores and working on your adgroups – you should not have to pay that much per click for those keywords, improving your quality scores will bring the cost down, you can see more on that: Understanding Your AdWords Quality Score

Improving Quality Score can be simple. If you look overall at the triangle:

Keywords (relevance for searchers) – Your ad (keywords are in your ad) – Page (keywords/subject is on your page)

This triangle – particularly the relevance of the words on the Landing Page – is what determines quality score.

You should also set up a conversion goal or two inside of Analytics. Then you have the whole picture of how many people are clicking, staying (not bouncing), and email contacting. (Combining with the phone monitoring)
    You can then work out your cost per new customer.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    PowerofWords, post: 84834 wrote:

This triangle – particularly the relevance of the words on the Landing Page – is what determines quality score.

mmhh,

I can’t agree with that at all, the landing page part is largely a pass or fail and most pass, its been estimated at about 5% of the equation!

Both Google itself and countless experiments tell us that CTR is the biggest driver of quality score by a long shot.

Posh
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi Bubbling with Energy,

are you sure this Google guy was really Google? We have our own account manager and had a few before and to be honest, they are good. They know what they are doing.

1. you can complain (let’s assume it is a Google guy)
    2. you can ask for refund (the spend went up because of their suggestions)
    3. you have plenty of ideas here, so I am not going to repeat them. However, I suggest you turn off all network campaigns and make everything Search only (at least for now)

Patto
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    Aidan, post: 84953 wrote:
    mmhh,

I can’t agree with that at all, the landing page part is largely a pass or fail and most pass, its been estimated at about 5% of the equation!

Both Google itself and countless experiments tell us that CTR is the biggest driver of quality score by a long shot.

Totally agree with Aidan, and his previous post. Local PPC campaigns can bring their CPC down and improve the QS with great CTR, and if you use the strategy that Aidan suggest, you can achieve this.

Another tiny thing worth noting is to make sure you run you campaign specifically for the search network (and Google partners if you like).

I know this is pretty obvious for some, but I can tell you that lots of people forget this very simple step (unless you WNAT ads on the display network, in which case a new campaign should be set).

Avoid targeting mobile devices, unless your site is ready to receive mobile traffic. If so, then create separate campaigns for that.

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

This sounds like a great story I should re-post on my website.

I’d really like to know why you’re doing your own PPC campaign when you would get a better result using a service provider which would provide you a much greater return on your investment.

Our PPC clients have their incoming calls from their PPC campaigns recorded so they can listen back and ensure they’re not losing money from internal problems or missed calls etc… We also monitor for ROI and then hone in on keywords that are actually working, IE: conversions, then focus your budget on those only.

As a side note; I would have thought your business niche isn’t overly competitive, so you should be actively pursuing organic rankings over PPC first and foremost (unless you need instant results).

I recently did a comparison for one of my clients who does ‘lead generation’ and found a PPC campaign would cost her $18,000 p/month to generate 3000 visitors and in our estimate we could achieve the same result using an SEO strategy for $2,000 p/month.

ROI is such an important factor which shouldn’t be overlooked!

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    Posh, post: 84993 wrote:
    Hi Bubbling with Energy,

are you sure this Google guy was really Google? We have our own account manager and had a few before and to be honest, they are good. They know what they are doing.

1. you can complain (let’s assume it is a Google guy)
    2. you can ask for refund (the spend went up because of their suggestions)
    3. you have plenty of ideas here, so I am not going to repeat them. However, I suggest you turn off all network campaigns and make everything Search only (at least for now)

We regularly get calls from people who are supposedly representing Google who want us to pay them to manage our Adwords account. Always sounds a bit dodgy to me.

nearbygalaxy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

A lot of really great posts on here have to say totally agree with Tony. You really need to start sectioning your keywords into smaller groups and making sure the headline of the add is directly related. You really want to think of your keywords as questions and the add is the answer. Psychologically people are more likely to click on an add that matches what they’ve typed and if your competitors appear above and below you and their headline or adds are more relevant they’re more likely to click on your competitors.

Don’t forget to check the keywords people have entered to find you by going to see search terms and if there is anything irrelevant in their find a way to put it on your negative keywords list. You can be amazed at how irrelevant some of the terms can be that people have searched and you had to pay for them clicking on your add.

I used to work for an internet marketing company and I remember going through an account once for a removalist company and that had all these irrelevant clicks from search terms like “mole removal” ” hair removal” and things like that because they hadn’t set out their keywords and negative keywords correctly and they really had wasted so much money on irrelevant clicks.

Also you should use a mixture of normal keywords, exact match keywords and phrase match. You don’t want to be too targeted though or you wont show up enough. As below comment said having your display network turned off is a good idea, as it means your add is showing up on third party sites and generally to people aren’t actively seeking your products or services or in the motivated buying cycle. Display network generally works for larger companies like Maccas or Nike.

Because if you do have a low quality score it means Google is penalising you and that they don’t understand you (as google is just a machine) and that quality score lets you know how much they understand your site, or how relevant they think you are.

Google will lower your advertising costs the higher you can get that quality score so if you really want reduce the cost you’ll need to look at ways of increasing that. So if you have low quality scores Google will penalise you and they also won’t favour your page as they don’t see you as being relevant so you will end up having to increase your budget and daily spend just to keep your ranks.

That’s just in simple terms and off the top of my head more than welcome to answer any questions you might have :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.