• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    StanZ

Hi all,

Just was wondering about the effectiveness of google adwords campaigns.

I understand the fundamentals of it and have no hesitation setting up – what I was wondering about is what are some do’s and don’t for a service business setting up a campaign like that from people that have already implemented it for their business.

in my business like many others – a lot is built on relationships and setting up those relationships takes time – so how can the google adwords campaign be set up for the most effectiveness?

appreciate your responses,

Printerboy
    StanZ, post: 92271 wrote:
    Hi all,

I understand the fundamentals of it and have no hesitation setting up – what I was wondering about is what are some do’s and don’t for a service business setting up a campaign like that from people that have already implemented it for their business.

in my business like many others – a lot is built on relationships and setting up those relationships takes time – so how can the google adwords campaign be set up for the most effectiveness?

Make sure you do some work planning your google adwords campaign on Paper/whiteboard first. A few Things to think about:

Do you have a specific page to land on for your chosen keywords?

example: if you type in to google: Pizza discount coupon and the first ad (Google adwords ad.) you click on in google takes you to a website which has a list of coupons for all take away stores.

Result: Chances are you will leave and go to a site that show whats you want specifically

This can heaps more traffic if you do this correctly!

Hope this helps.

Ben Douglas
    Printerboy Owner & Operator

Jexley

Don’t forget one HUGELY important step in setting up your Google Analytics with your AdWords.

Hooking them together properly means that you can track the effectiveness of each individual keyword, ad group and campaign. If you set up a few “goals” in GA then you can even see a direct comparison of how much you are spending and where that money is going.

For my money, that’s the surest way to keep an eye on the value of what you’re doing.

Oh, and don’t forget to listen to anything Aidan says on the matter, he’s ninja pimptastic surfericiously awesome at AdWords.

Choose your key words and key phrases very carefully, because sometimes a word or a phrase may sound perfectly fine to you, but in reality your ad will come up in results not relevent at all to your business. Also if you provide services or products to a specific geographical area set up you campain to show it to people searching from that area only. And of course set up Google Analitics and experiment until you find the ideal key words/phrases.

StanZ

thanks guys – great advice on setting up GA and hooking them together with the google adwords campaign.

will keep it all in mind and will let you know results

themot
    StanZ, post: 92440 wrote:
    thanks guys – great advice on setting up GA and hooking them together with the google adwords campaign.

will keep it all in mind and will let you know results

Basically I would echo everything already said but also add, try and focus on ranking organically. It will take you a few months to rank well but when you do spendning money on adwords starts to become pointless.

I optimised my campaign to the hilt when I was using adwords and was still paying around 70 cents to $1 per click. Now that I rank at the top organically It is only costing me around 4 cents a click for what I spend on SEO every month and Im getting 10 times the amount of traffic.

I generally agree with what’s been said above. A properly set up pay per click campaign should really be a starting point for most online businesses, provided it is set up in conjunction with effective on page SEO. It will give a huge amount of market information – basically what people are really searching for, and the competition levels on specific keywords – as well as providing immediate traffic to your site.

You should either get an Adwords expert like Aidan or myself to set it up, or else do your homework first. This free introduction to Adwords by Perry Marshall will get you pointed in the right direction.

Don’t take Google’s advice on how to set things up, be independent. A lot of the so called “suggestions” are machine generated and likely to cause problems.

I would not limit my pay per click efforts to Google. You can export your account to Yahoo Search Marketing and get some high quality and very cheap traffic. Just less of it than on Google.

If setting up a campaign in Yahoo Search Marketing make sure you only run ads on the Premium Network i.e. Yahoo7 and Bing. The rest is not such good quality and there seems to a lot of click fraud.

Finally, don’t let the pay per click campaign take your eye off the ball on serious content based SEO. This is where you will really get the edge.

B Cooper

Hey guys,

I’m looking at setting up a Google Adwords campaign myself – I’m just wondering what time-frame people have had in seeing a positive ROI with Adwords? I’ve heard people say that it takes months and thousands of dollars before you start making money, but I’d have to disagree, I’m sure that if you do the research and planning phase of your campaign effectively, there must be a way to avoid significant losses at the start.

Would you agree?

Brentis :)

themot
    B Cooper, post: 92597 wrote:
    Hey guys,

I’m looking at setting up a Google Adwords campaign myself – I’m just wondering what time-frame people have had in seeing a positive ROI with Adwords? I’ve heard people say that it takes months and thousands of dollars before you start making money, but I’d have to disagree, I’m sure that if you do the research and planning phase of your campaign effectively, there must be a way to avoid significant losses at the start.

Would you agree?

Probably not no. Even if you get an “expert” to set it up for you they never understand your business the way you do. It really does take a few months of trial and error along with lots of benchmarking to get it right.

I would definitely invest the time and money in it myself to get it right though rather than give it to someone to do.

B Cooper
    themot, post: 92618 wrote:
    Probably not no. Even if you get an “expert” to set it up for you they never understand your business the way you do. It really does take a few months of trial and error along with lots of benchmarking to get it right.

I would definitely invest the time and money in it myself to get it right though rather than give it to someone to do.

Yes that makes sense. So we’d be looking at, possibly, several hundred dollars and a few months with no returns – assuming that you measure everything and make the necessary changes along the way? That seems reasonable.

Cheers

themot

I wouldn’t say you would get no returns, just that you won’t have it optimised.

Basically you need time to really understand how people are finding your site and with what terms and which of those terms is returning for you. Also you need to optimise the pages they are landing on. The wastage doesn’t just come from people clicking on the adds that arn’t the target, the wastage also happens because of low quality score due to the add not containg the right terminology, bounce rates and the quality of the landing pages people are going to.

It’s really not that hard to learn, you just need a couple of months to get it right. That’s why I advise you to save the few hundred it’s going to cost you to have someone set it up and manage it and use that money as your slush fund to learn with.

Printerboy
    B Cooper, post: 92597 wrote:
    Hey guys,

Would you agree?

Agree to disagree, only joking

Many start ups sink money because they have not perfected the website when they first start the PPC campaign. If this is not the cast and you do alot of research and know what you are doing you should not have to make significant losses but PPC is always going to be an ongoing job to fine tune and get the best value for your dollar.

Ben

B Cooper

Hey Guys,

Ah I see what you’re saying – I totally agree. Thanks for that!

All I can say is.. test, test, test until you can’t test anymore.

It’s all about trial and error with adwords.

Netboost SEO
    StanZ, post: 92271 wrote:
    Hi all,

The most important thing is to track what is done.

• split test your ad copy
    • invest in a quality landing page – try unbounce.com
    • split test your landing page
    • track user behaviour on landing page – try clicktale.com
    • setup advanced analytics to track conversions

Remember that there are far more options than Adwords that can often be a lot more cost effective.

check out this article on setting up your analytics tracking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.