Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Google AdWords Clicks v Visits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I have a problem which I hope someone may have some comments on please – I’ve pretty well ruled out what I could find in online support.

Visits to my website (per Analytics) are only about 5-10% of clicks on my ad (per AdWords/Analytics) – that makes cost per visit very expensive! However this is only on the display network – which is where I get most clicks. Over 80% of clicks on the search network, albeit much lower in number, convert into visits.

The ads are pretty much identical – although that’s probably not an issue given that I’m getting the clicks – they’re just not converting to visits.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Confused….

RedPlanet
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi, I love these tricky problems. First up, it seems on the face of it that you should opt out of the Display network. Although I am over the whole Adwords gig, I had a method of making the keywords & ads highly targeted to searches, that were also usually cheaper cost per click (about $2 or so). I didn’t usually go for display network as they are not specifically looking for your terms on the whole.

I’m trying to work out if you have an intemediary between the Ad and the Website, i.e. a landing page, and this is why there is a gap between clicks and visits.
    Also in your next message please include your average Bounce rate and time on site. Have you set up goal tracking?

BruceR
    Up

Thanks for your input!

I think you’re right that I should opt out of the display network – although there are lots of clicks, each visit is less than 10 seconds despite the bounce rate being zero.

There is no intermediary page and I stopped using a redirect URL when I realised that didn’t work. However maybe the URL I’m using is too long? http://www.cycletoursglobal.com/Tours?filter=true&keywords=&country=USA&region=86&month=&duration=&cost=&level=&terrain=&speciality=&guide=

I just set up some goal tracking yesterday when I learned how it worked…

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Your ad clicks and ad related visits should be the same, or at least very close.

This points to a potential issue with the landing page.

Have you tested clicking on an ad yourself to see if the landing page works. I’ve had cases where the _utm tracking code AdWords ads on to your URL causes the page to break.

Check all your destination URLs go to valid pages.

Check all those pages have Analytics tracking code and that they are triggering visits.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I’d opt out of the content network for now if I was you. In time, I’d turn it back on in a small way and direct the traffic from it to an intermediary landing page. I’ve found that the content network can be OK but you need to be a LOT more picky with your KW lists or you will get a bunch of low value clicks that only end up viewing the web page for a few seconds.

BruceR
    Up
    Tiggerito, post: 160610 wrote:
    Your ad clicks and ad related visits should be the same, or at least very close.

This points to a potential issue with the landing page.

Have you tested clicking on an ad yourself to see if the landing page works. I’ve had cases where the _utm tracking code AdWords ads on to your URL causes the page to break.

Check all your destination URLs go to valid pages.

Check all those pages have Analytics tracking code and that they are triggering visits.

Thanks Tony, all seems to be valid – the visits are now much closer to clicks (but still 10-25% lower). It was just for a few days they were really out of whack – unlucky?

markn, post: 160617 wrote:
    I’d opt out of the content network for now if I was you. In time, I’d turn it back on in a small way and direct the traffic from it to an intermediary landing page. I’ve found that the content network can be OK but you need to be a LOT more picky with your KW lists or you will get a bunch of low value clicks that only end up viewing the web page for a few seconds.

Mark, by content network do you mean the display network? I think you’re right about the KWs and I need to cut down the list. Thanks.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    BruceR, post: 160629 wrote:
    Mark, by content network do you mean the display network? I think you’re right about the KWs and I need to cut down the list. Thanks.

Yes, that’s right. If you do persist with the display network you’ll also want to check the sites that are displaying your ads and filter those too. When I got started with the display network I couldn’t believe some of the rubbish sites my ads were appearing on. These days I’ve got it down to a fairly select set of sites that seem to be right on topic and convert pretty well.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Further to Tiggerito’s comment I’d also be checking the GA code is working properly and placed in the head of all the landing pages rather than in other locations.

I’ve been amazed on a few occasions how placement of GA code can make a difference to tracking accuracy!

I’d also be having a look at the invalid clicks in AdWords (i.e. the ones that get credited back to you) to see if that might also help explain the difference.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.