Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Google Adwords Conversion Issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Petru
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys,

It’s that time of month or year when the business is pretty quite.
    So i decided to launch a decent Google Ads campaign,
    Keep in mind that I generally don’t spend much on these types of campaigns because I’m often feared that the conversion rate will be poor. hence why I’m so disappointed right now. generally when i promote facebook posts and things like that I usually set a $50 budget. get 20,000 promotional reach and 2-3 likes…
    Not 2,000-3,000 Likes. Which is also very disappointing. but here’s the thing

I know that my company is very different from others, And I know that if users were to choose between me and someone else I have a high probability that they would choose me. So I’m confident about that.

Anyway, I started a decent campaign for Web Design keywords at a CPC Max of $10 Per Click. I came up first place in the ads area for many relative keywords and had maybe 30 views before I decided to close the campaign because I’d already spent $200+ and had not one conversion. So the main question is, Is this type of stuff common? I read that the average conversion ratio is 1 in 5 which I figured was average too but I’ve just spent $200 and had not one sale.

I feel like i could have a better chance making money if I played poker with it!

So the question is, Should I be investing more money into adwords or should I perhaps think of something else to invest money into?

The business itself has been going very good for the past couple of years, We’ve made a really nice client database and have many clients on subscriptions for Website Maintenance or Payment Plans but right now we get the occasional ball of weeds bounce by.

So should I continue with the Adwords investment?
    Does it work for you? is there an alternative?

MarketingAnt
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    Petru, post: 187854 wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Keep in mind that I generally don’t spend much on these types of campaigns because I’m often feared that the conversion rate will be poor. hence why I’m so disappointed right now. generally when i promote facebook posts and things like that I usually set a $50 budget. get 20,000 promotional reach and 2-3 likes…

I know that my company is very different from others, And I know that if users were to choose between me and someone else I have a high probability that they would choose me. So I’m confident about that.

Anyway, I started a decent campaign for Web Design keywords at a CPC Max of $10 Per Click. I came up first place in the ads area for many relative keywords and had maybe 30 views before I decided to close the campaign because I’d already spent $200+ and had not one conversion. So the main question is, Is this type of stuff common? I read that the average conversion ratio is 1 in 5 which I figured was average too but I’ve just spent $200 and had not one sale.

I feel like i could have a better chance making money if I played poker with it!

So the question is, Should I be investing more money into adwords or should I perhaps think of something else to invest money into?

The business itself has been going very good for the past couple of years, We’ve made a really nice client database and have many clients on subscriptions for Website Maintenance or Payment Plans but right now we get the occasional ball of weeds bounce by.

Hi Petru,

Thanks for providing this post. I will respond in kind to your question.

Facebook first and foremost.

With Facebook and building likes, I have generally found paying Facebook PPC is an awful network. A good way to burn money. The main reason is solely due to “clickfarms” in South East Asia, that are paid to click on ads, and they virtually click on any ad they see to avoid detection by the algorithm and bots at Facebook to detect fake accounts.

Also, I am yet to see a direct correlation between likes and sales. Facebook ‘Likes’ for a few of my past online ventures, generally mean nothing. And paying for them also yielded no results. Lesson learned.

Rather, the best way to build likes is through a strong content strategy and build your “tribe” around this. This is the new word-of-mouth marketing. However, time and effort must be spent, via keyword search and google trends and a few other clever tricks to help you develop a strong content strategy. Use this strategy on FB, then run it through LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg etc etc…

Also to build this highly sought after “social cred” that every business wants, I strongly recommend to review your company’s positioning strategy. From here, this is another untapped method to build your social presence online. Very few companies do this e.g. “What is my position in the market, and in the mind of the consumer? And how does my USP different from the rest?”

As for AdWords. A tricky game to get right, and also like Facebook PPC ads, it is a wonderful way to burn cash fast!
    First and foremost, do your research keyword research and trending research. Anyone that says that can get your ads front and centre, top of Google. Complete rubbish.

To get high performing ads, they are based on a number of factors. Here’s just a few:

(1) Page Rank
    (2) Unique Content
    (3) Current Traffic
    (4) Keywords
    (5) Account Set-Up
    (6) Landing page optimisation (tags, alt-tags etc)
    (7) Max PPC Bid.

That’s only a small list of things.

After spending a lot of cash into AdWords and not one sale, you need to begin doing A/B spilt testing of your site..HOWEVER…one of the major factors ads perform poorly is…they are just generally bad ads. Google Ads are the new classifieds from the print area. Your message needs to be so good, and hit the emotional hot buttons of the customer to get them to (1) Look at your ad, (2) click on the ad.

Also, what is your CTR? Avg. Views? Avg. CPC?

However, if you are getting minor traffic from your ad and still no conversions – I would say your landing pages are average. Test! test! test! and keep testing your landing pages, use heatmaps, and use Analytics (or KISSmetrics(.com)), or IBM Coremetrics.

If you would like more info, I can show you how to maximise your PPC campaigns. It’s a slow process to get going at first. Plenty of research and you need to invest time into Excel (as running all your campaigns through this will streamline everything).

PM if interested.

Cheers,

Anthony

Petru
    Up
    MarketingAnt, post: 187861 wrote:
    Hi Petru,

Thanks for providing this post. I will respond in kind to your question.

Facebook first and foremost.

With Facebook and building likes, I have generally found paying Facebook PPC is an awful network. A good way to burn money. The main reason is solely due to “clickfarms” in South East Asia, that are paid to click on ads, and they virtually click on any ad they see to avoid detection by the algorithm and bots at Facebook to detect fake accounts.

Also, I am yet to see a direct correlation between likes and sales. Facebook ‘Likes’ for a few of my past online ventures, generally mean nothing. And paying for them also yielded no results. Lesson learned.

Rather, the best way to build likes is through a strong content strategy and build your “tribe” around this. This is the new word-of-mouth marketing. However, time and effort must be spent, via keyword search and google trends and a few other clever tricks to help you develop a strong content strategy. Use this strategy on FB, then run it through LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg etc etc…

Also to build this highly sought after “social cred” that every business wants, I strongly recommend to review your company’s positioning strategy. From here, this is another untapped method to build your social presence online. Very few companies do this e.g. “What is my position in the market, and in the mind of the consumer? And how does my USP different from the rest?”

As for AdWords. A tricky game to get right, and also like Facebook PPC ads, it is a wonderful way to burn cash fast!
    First and foremost, do your research keyword research and trending research. Anyone that says that can get your ads front and centre, top of Google. Complete rubbish.

To get high performing ads, they are based on a number of factors. Here’s just a few:

(1) Page Rank
    (2) Unique Content
    (3) Current Traffic
    (4) Keywords
    (5) Account Set-Up
    (6) Landing page optimisation (tags, alt-tags etc)
    (7) Max PPC Bid.

That’s only a small list of things.

After spending a lot of cash into AdWords and not one sale, you need to begin doing A/B spilt testing of your site..HOWEVER…one of the major factors ads perform poorly is…they are just generally bad ads. Google Ads are the new classifieds from the print area. Your message needs to be so good, and hit the emotional hot buttons of the customer to get them to (1) Look at your ad, (2) click on the ad.

Also, what is your CTR? Avg. Views? Avg. CPC?

However, if you are getting minor traffic from your ad and still no conversions – I would say your landing pages are average. Test! test! test! and keep testing your landing pages, use heatmaps, and use Analytics (or KISSmetrics(.com)), or IBM Coremetrics.

If you would like more info, I can show you how to maximise your PPC campaigns. It’s a slow process to get going at first. Plenty of research and you need to invest time into Excel (as running all your campaigns through this will streamline everything).

PM if interested.

Cheers,

Anthony

Wow, Thanks for that long and detailed reply Anthony!

First of all, many of the things you’ve stated are things I’m already doing.
    The SEO for the website itself is actually picking up really well the main Idea of the Adwords was to pay for a first place advertisement to hopefully get a few sales and stay confident to invest money back into it. The market share of the business is a bit of a tricky question. When I started the business in 2009 it was just a Working from home computer store, And because it became so popular in the area I decided to take it a step further a couple years later. Since 2012 we have been doing Web Designs and Web Hosting. Our main target is at small businesses and although I know that a web design company wouldn’t own more than 0.01% of the market share we do things very different which is why we’re trying to get the name out more. See we’re not just a basic web design company and we do things that many other company’s don’t do. Such as “Try Before You Buy” web designs and “PAYG Payment Plans” both of which are extremely unique in the industry. This is what we’re trying to promote, Not just our business type but our uniqueness. And I did actually get a few clicks on adwords, which was kinda the reason why I had a doubt to continue, I didn’t want to blow up to a grand in clicks if I wasn’t going to get any sales.

What you said about the Facebook ads is true, i read about that sometime back.
    Although I do look at those who like my posts and like our page and they are legitimate people, Maybe because I only target Australia. the whole idea of the Post Promoting is to get a bigger community to hope that one day we can post something and have people interact regardless of it being promoted or not. Don’t get me wrong the business has a nice community and isn’t exactly dried out but trying to get it any higher is a slow process. As I said “Web Designs” is not what we’re promoting, it’s what makes us different to everyone else that we are promoting. And there are many other things that make us different too. We have 24/7 Live support, we have a community forum which although isn’t that active it’s there for when our clients need it. and we also have very fast response to support emails.

As for the landing page, At first I thought it was fine but after mentioning it i realize that there are things that I could improve. If someone were to go to our homepage. At first glance they wouldn’t know that we do PAYG Payment Plans or Try before You Buy Web Designs. so maybe it’s important that i include that so the second they land on y website they will know straight away what we are and what we do. That was a brilliant suggestion!

Is there any other form of advertising that you could suggest? I’ve been looking at WOMO all day but I’m not exactly sure what they do and how it would help our sales. I was also looking at Metro Trains advertisements too. I just want to invest my money in something that has a better conversion rate, Something that I can feel a little more confident in. because i’m not much of a gambler.

Thanks again Anthony.

MarketingAnt
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Petru,

I just PM’d you.

Thanks,

Anthony

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

its kind of impossible to say where you’re going wrong without knowing more, for example you might be doing something really dumb and using ‘web design’ as an exact match keyword!

That would be ‘extra dumb’ if you think about it.

You might be using broad matched keywords without a comprehensive negative keyword list…

We also don’t see your landing pages or ads so again really difficult to comment…

You don’t say where or when your ads are showing, so again its difficult to comment…

As for diving into the web design market at $10+ bids, well… no point presuming ANYTHING until you have a trafffic sample of several hundred clicks (more is better) before you start to draw any conclusions.

Now, as for the advice you might see before anybody knows more, well, in fact its going to be worthless, because they don’t have enough info to work on…

Page rank and tags don’t matter a damn, not one teeny itsy bitsy little damn… neither does your current traffic. (BTW AdWords does allow you to be first on the page if you want to be aggressive enough with bidding! Its kinda the whole point for many users!)

A pro is probably not going to have their landing pages indexed in SE’s, let alone let them get page rank, he certainly does not use ‘tags’!

You really should not be using AdWords unless you actually know how to use it, the days of hoping for the best with AdWords are long gone!

ross2129
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I agree with Aidan on this. Adwords is a tough platform to find success with if you haven’t got the relevant knowledge and expertise to master it.

Web Design is such a competitive industry with pretty high CPC’s. So running a $300 campaign is not going to scrape the surface at $10 per click.

Where did the 1 in 5 conversion ratio come from? This equates to a 20% conversion rate which most advertisers, regardless of product, would be very happy with, especially off non brand keywords which I assume is what you are targeting.

If you only have a small budget to play around with, get out of the top positions and make your money stretch. There is enough traffic in the web design niche to lower your bids right down, appear towards the bottom of the page and pay a fraction of what you are currently per click. Sure your CTR is going to be lower but that doesn’t matter – the impression volume is still there to ensure that your ads will still get clicks. It will just take a little longer to accrue those clicks but you will accrue an awful lot more at $1-2 than you will at $10. Your position should have very little if any impact on conversion rate.

There is way too much stuff to go into detail with here. There are a heap of great resources to help you understand the intricacies of Adwords – just search in Google.

In terms of keywords, if you are working with a small budget, ensure that your keywords reflect the what the user is going to be searching at the correct point in their journey. If you are selling websites, you don’t want to be spending all your budget on people searching for “Web Design”, you need to be targeting keyword such as “website templates for sale” – a bit longer tale but much more specific. Sure, there is much lower traffic, but the users likelihood of converting is much higher if that is what you are selling. Same thing if you are a freelance web designer looking for clients – don’t target keywords such as “web design”, target keywords such as “web design services”, “web design agency” etc.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, of course without knowing more about your business & Adwords setup it is very hard to draw any recommendations.

Petru
    Up
    ross2129, post: 187994 wrote:
    I agree with Aidan on this. Adwords is a tough platform to find success with if you haven’t got the relevant knowledge and expertise to master it.

Web Design is such a competitive industry with pretty high CPC’s. So running a $300 campaign is not going to scrape the surface at $10 per click.

Where did the 1 in 5 conversion ratio come from? This equates to a 20% conversion rate which most advertisers, regardless of product, would be very happy with, especially off non brand keywords which I assume is what you are targeting.

If you only have a small budget to play around with, get out of the top positions and make your money stretch. There is enough traffic in the web design niche to lower your bids right down, appear towards the bottom of the page and pay a fraction of what you are currently per click. Sure your CTR is going to be lower but that doesn’t matter – the impression volume is still there to ensure that your ads will still get clicks. It will just take a little longer to accrue those clicks but you will accrue an awful lot more at $1-2 than you will at $10. Your position should have very little if any impact on conversion rate.

There is way too much stuff to go into detail with here. There are a heap of great resources to help you understand the intricacies of Adwords – just search in Google.

In terms of keywords, if you are working with a small budget, ensure that your keywords reflect the what the user is going to be searching at the correct point in their journey. If you are selling websites, you don’t want to be spending all your budget on people searching for “Web Design”, you need to be targeting keyword such as “website templates for sale” – a bit longer tale but much more specific. Sure, there is much lower traffic, but the users likelihood of converting is much higher if that is what you are selling. Same thing if you are a freelance web designer looking for clients – don’t target keywords such as “web design”, target keywords such as “web design services”, “web design agency” etc.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, of course without knowing more about your business & Adwords setup it is very hard to draw any recommendations.

That was very informative Ross.

Unfortunately I was targeting keywords such as “Web Designs” I was also targeting other relevant Keywords like “Web Design Services” but the most active keyword was “Web Designs”. That lesson is well learnt!

The other thing is, I was trying to target very low keywords such as “Web Designs Melbourne” or Sydney etc. But google says that the search volume for that is too low which I assumed they wouldn’t let me bid on it because I couldn’t find any of my ads under those keywords. If I could i would be happy to just bid on those rather than everything else.

Another problem is that the Niche that we have in our Web Design Department isn’t really searched that often, Although we have first page google rankings for our niche so there isn’t much point bidding on our own first page ranking keywords.

Thanks for your input though, It was very informative :)

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Petru, my answer is simple, if you have a good client base I would work more with them. There must be some services they are not using but they don’t know about them. So the best place to start is within your own data base. The second place to go is ask you existing data base for referrals. They may know or work with other businesses that you could talk to on the back of a good recommendation.

I am not a big fan of online marketing to a unknown market. Creating the right strategy within niche markets works much, much better.

Please feel free to email me.

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    Hey Guys,

Hi

If you are going to survive with adwords then you need to avoid the ‘Google Slap’. Adwords was designed to make them money, so understand that for a start. Your money is in your pocket – but they want it in theirs.

If you decide to continue with adwords I’d take a look at adwords bid management software like http://www.apexpacific.com/ppc_bidmax/‎ I’m not sure if they still do a free trial or not.

If you are not managing your bidding automatically and grow savvy with it (ie spend hours on it) you’re usually going to get smashed.

My suggestion is to work only with exact match and control it tightly – find what works and don’t change it all the time (or you’ll increase your prices).

In earnest – web design is a downward spiraling industry though – so the big picture is that people are just not hot/bullish on spending on websites anymore.

Mark McDowell
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    Hey Guys,

I currently am an Account Manager for over 100+ campaigns for small businesses and I’m a huge advocate.

It’s great for lead generation and there are strategies to use for those with smaller budget like targeting broad match longer tail keywords. You wouldn’t believe what people search to find what they are looking for these days.

These keywords are cheaper, but with lots of them it can amount to significant traffic. The other half of the equation is your website, is it highly converting? High bounce rate? Do people spend long period of time on it? Does it engage the user? Do you look like a leader in your field? Does the page load slowly?

These all play a part in the success of your AdWords campaign I suggest you have these sorted before beginning one as it is your website that will convert any traffic at the end of the day into a phone call or enquiry.

You may also wish to explore mobile advertising which is increasingly growing these days. You can also explore re-marketing to re-engage users with a promotion once they have already visited your website but did not convert. These campaigns have the highest conversion rate.

You can also look at targeting very specific areas and keep the targeting very local, lots of users like local business services.

So many factors and so many limitless possibilities with AdWords :) More than happy to answer any questions!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.