Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Google Adwords Conversions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    themot
    • Total posts: 150
    Up
    ::

Only do phrase match for a few weeks so you can see what are the popular searchs that are converting or you think are relevant, then switch to exact. It doesn’t matter if your visits drop, you only need quality not quantity.

By leaving terms on broad match your just making google rich. Switch that off immediately.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I’d also recommend trying the BMM (Broad Modified Match) for keyword discovery and to help mop up all the mis-spellings which come from still-good-quality traffic!

Its not exactly advertised by Google but you can use it by putting a + sign before your otherwise normal broad match so try ‘+diving’ for example to get broad (but not too broad) matches that might include ‘scuba’ but not ‘spearfishing’.

After you discover some good kw’s you can add them to your collection of exact matches.

You’ll still need to keep an eye on your SQR’s and do some negative matching but it is a much ‘tighter’ version of broad matching that is very useful.

Hope that helps :)

DaveLye
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Yeah broad match is terrible… trouble is Google use their smarts to match broad match keywords with completely different keywords.

What this means is that your ads might show for ‘new vehicle’ when your KW was ‘new car’.

Sounds OK with that example but there’s a grey area there that it strays into – it might also show for ‘new automotive’ or even ‘new auto’ or even ‘new auto coffee machine’

So the solution is to use Modified Broad Matching – put a + in front of the word. That means Google will only show the ad if that actual word is included and won’t use their synonym technology

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Google has some good videos for setting up your Adwords Accounts that you might find useful for structuring your campaigns, adgroups, ads and keywords.

http://bit.ly/mcmsa_adwords

I’ve given a short link because the real one is a gazillion (that’s a technical term ;) ) characters long.

Ignore the Upcoming live tutorials – they’re at hideous hours for Australians. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you’ll see the videos.

Good luck with your campaigns!

B Cooper
    • Total posts: 211
    Up

Hey guys,

Oh fantastic, Modified Broad Matching is exactly the sort of thing I need. Plus, I can track exactly what keywords people use when clicking on my ads (using Google Analytics), and therefore I can add more negative keywords if necessary.

Also, I’m just using the Adwords Small Business Centre to learn about Adwords. Does anybody have any other good resources?

Thanks again!

Brentis :)

B Cooper
    Up

Hey guys,

I just realised something, consider this:

If I had the following:

Start with $300 p/month in Adwords
    Have a 5% conversion rate
    High traffic keyword list (av keyword bid: $3)
    And reinvest all profits back into Adwords

(Sounds pretty reasonable, don’t you think?)

Note, I’m selling services worth $400, with basically no expenses what-so-ever

Then, in just two months, I would end up with just over $13,000 net profit.

And if this is the potential that Adwords has, than imagine the returns good SEO could have when you’re paying like, less than 0.10c per click?

Interesting.. :)

Brentis

themot
    Up

5% conversion rate is very ambitious, I would be working off 1%.

B Cooper
    Up
    themot, post: 96022 wrote:
    5% conversion rate is very ambitious, I would be working off 1%.

Yes, that’s probably a more realistic estimation. I was just going off CreateDevelop’s comment that 5% is the average for his clients. If one was to refine their Adwords campaigns for a few hours everyday for 3-4 months, it seems probable that conversions could be anywhere from 2-5%.

I guess I’ll just have to learn as much as possible, and give it my best shot.

I’d love any feedback on my landing page if anybody has the time to take a look:

http://webdesignforbusinesses.com.au/web-design/small-business/

Thanks again guys,

Brentis :)

themot
    Up
    B Cooper, post: 96034 wrote:
    Yes, that’s probably a more realistic estimation. I was just going off CreateDevelop’s comment that 5% is the average for his clients. If one was to refine their Adwords campaigns for a few hours everyday for 3-4 months, it seems probable that conversions could be anywhere from 2-5%.

Depends what it is. I’ll give you an example the other day my house was broken into, i needed a window replaced FAST. I googled window glass and called the first two I saw, got a quote of each and went with one. Those guys are going to have a good conversion rate because it’s something needed urgent and not overly pricey.

With websites people are going to take their time and compare a lot. They are a big spend so your going to get a lot of window shopping. That’s why I said 5% is ambitious. If you do 5% your saying every 20th person who comes to your site is going to become a client.

There is no contact phone number on your page. That would turn me off straight away, I had a million questions for my designer when I had my site done If I couldn’t pick up the phone and talk to them it would have been no deal.

B Cooper
    Up
    themot, post: 96035 wrote:
    There is no contact phone number on your page. That would turn me off straight away, I had a million questions for my designer when I had my site done If I couldn’t pick up the phone and talk to them it would have been no deal.

Thanks again for the response. Yes I agree. I figured out that a 2% conversion would still be very good, so that is now my big audacious goal.

I’ll put a 1300 phone number on the website soon too! Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers TheMot, you’ve been a great help :)

Brentis

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

with respect, most web designers or web “anything” are more cretive and less formulaic. More “clever” and “pretty” and less ROI oriented.

Unless I am mistaken, no one has mentioned the power of negative keywords or Modified Broad Match keywords (using a “+” symbol). Also, the big shots are recommending their clients these days to trust Google with keywords and placements and let Google grow your traffic for you ie fewer keywords, not more. more used of braod match terms (cautiously). also means smaller tight knight ad groups for the content network but far more reach with your keywords.

I strongly suggest you invest in a quality but simple (for the layman) goolge adwords course for yourself like this one or if you want to start offering it as a service invest in this one.

It will help you differentiate from your competition and also get the kind of traffic and conversion you’re looking for.

Allow me to share the following with you:

The Fewer the Better? The Bull’s Eye Keyword Method (Bryan Todd)

Take advantage of the advice on Glenn Livingston’s Bull’s Eye Method as
    introduced in chapters 1 and 14. It’s even more relevant for established businesses, as so many these days are spreading themselves thin trying to manage hordes of keywords and sell to all of them. In a down economy, that can kill you. This method, on the other hand, focuses everything you do 10X and gives clarity and purpose to every test you conduct in
    your Google account and on all of your pages, in your autoresponders – everywhere.

The method in a nutshell: Write down physically on a sheet of paper precisely who your target buyer is, and how much he or she knows about your product or service and is ready to buy. Then use Google’s keyword tool to find search terms that you believe best represent that person. Then go to the Traffic Estimator to find which of those search terms have the most potential to make you money. Crunch the data and you end up
    with 6-12 keywords that can and will be the indispensable core of your business.

More experienced users now have a “hill to die on,” as it were. That greatly
    simplifies your work.

All the best

Khalid (not a google adwords expert but a passionate student of digital marketing)

B Cooper
    Up

Hi Khalid,

I’ve been considering purchasing that Perry Marshall’s course, it looks quite informative.

Thanks for your feedback Khalid, I appreciate it :)

Brentis

Andy_Smith
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

I skipped page 2 of this. I bought any courses, I learnt PPC and SEO through going to free workshops, ran by people from PPC agencies. I Also read a lot of blogs, my favourite is http://www.ppchero.com, it’s informative, there is something for all levels, and the writing style is engaging. Best of all, it’s free advice from experts.

I assume you have more than one landing page aimed at different campaigns or even ad groups. The trick is to continually test these, using google’s website optimizer. This allows you to make big or small changes and see what works the best. A big thing we found was white space really works, gives a page a more open, neutral and safe feel to it.

Good luck.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Hi Andy,

I used to think the same but all info is not equal and the way i found this out was by investing in a course that has a unconditional 100% money back guarantee.

there are a few experts i buy from because their material is years and sometimes decades ahead and the best part is i get what i need without spending hours, days and even weeks hunting for it.

time is the ultimate cost for me because i can always make money but i cant make back time.

best bet, especially for cash strapped is to read the blogs, apply the knowledge and then use the profits to invest into a premium product by a respected authority and has no problems refunding without question.

that would be risk free leverage.

Andy_Smith, post: 96513 wrote:
    I skipped page 2 of this. I bought any courses, I learnt PPC and SEO through going to free workshops, ran by people from PPC agencies. I Also read a lot of blogs, my favourite is http://www.ppchero.com, it’s informative, there is something for all levels, and the writing style is engaging. Best of all, it’s free advice from experts.

I assume you have more than one landing page aimed at different campaigns or even ad groups. The trick is to continually test these, using google’s website optimizer. This allows you to make big or small changes and see what works the best. A big thing we found was white space really works, gives a page a more open, neutral and safe feel to it.

Good luck.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

C’mon guys,

it varies so wildly on so many factors;

audience (geo/demo) and intent of searcher
    keyword
    search term (not the same thing as keyword)
    ad
    landing page
    usp
    price/deal offered

to name a few basic factors, there are many others.

There is really NO such thing as an ‘average conversion’ – the idea is kinda ridiculous…

really…

you honestly think you can ‘average’ the conversion of people worldwide searching for ‘ufo landings’ taken to a page selling some random ebook for $10…

against an urgent search from someone in pain searching for ’emergency dentist Sydney’

?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.