Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Adwords on small budget

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Spice Queen
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

Another Google Adwords question… Apologies if this has been asked countless times but I couldn’t find any recent threads.

Is it worth having a google Adwords campaign if you have a really small advertising budget? I started off with a max of $20 a day and am hitting the max most days. This wouldn’t be a problem at all if those clicks were converting to sales, but they aren’t really at the moment. I know I have to be patient as getting to the top takes time, but this is eating into my already limited startup budget.

Has anyone run a successful Adwords campaign with a similar or smaller budget? I’ve been in touch with a few SEO companies but can’t afford that at the moment, so I’m doing a lot of DIY. I’ve currently paused my Adwords campaign till I can tweak the budget.

Any tips or advice will be most welcome.

Cheers :)

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi Spice Queen,

Google Adwords is the Great tool to start Advertising and it will Definitely work, but it will require well structure with Campaign and Ad Groups.

Few Advise:

1: Make sure you Check all Default setting.
    2: Make sure your ad will show within Australia, if you target AUS only.
    3: Make sure you use Diff Keyword Match type.
    4: Make sure you use Negative keywords.
    5: Use of Ad Extension is also benefited.
    6: Make sure you use Est first page and top page bid column.
    7: Make sure you use Keyword Details, Most important thing.

Hope it may help.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Hi there,

I have just started my Adwords journey – and I can tell you my budget is similar to yours. I’m yet to see any results either so far – but I think I just need patience to find the right keywords and set up appropriate landing pages.

I found a great book called “Your First Three Months on Adwords” (or something like that) and it is gold. It is only a few pages (about 20) but manages to distill into step by step processes how to do keyword research, set up campaigns and then analyse the results to drill into a niche that’s going to make you money. I highly recommend it. Here’s a link to it on BizzBuzz: http://bizzbuzz.com.au/deals/adwords-eguide-iain-dooley/

Good luck with it and I hope you get some good results soon!

Cheers
    Daniel

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Spice Queen, post: 163357 wrote:
    Another Google Adwords question… Apologies if this has been asked countless times but I couldn’t find any recent threads.

Is it worth having a google Adwords campaign if you have a really small advertising budget? I started off with a max of $20 a day and am hitting the max most days. This wouldn’t be a problem at all if those clicks were converting to sales, but they aren’t really at the moment. I know I have to be patient as getting to the top takes time, but this is eating into my already limited startup budget.

Has anyone run a successful Adwords campaign with a similar or smaller budget? I’ve been in touch with a few SEO companies but can’t afford that at the moment, so I’m doing a lot of DIY. I’ve currently paused my Adwords campaign till I can tweak the budget.

Cheers :)$10 a day is a good starting point, and once you start getting some conversions, you can expand.

Start small then build is what we do when doing Adwords.

Another thing, Adwords is not easy. There are many variables as the post above suggests.

Good luck!

MatthewKeath
    Up

I just looked at your site, and I could not read the product description because of the background image. I would not buy anything from the site as it is currently.

I would fix that before running any more ads.

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    Spice Queen, post: 163357 wrote:

Cheers :)

Make sure you’re using landing pages where required. For example, if you’re advertising a particular spice in the ad, make sure the ad directs the user to a page about that spice. It can lead to a pretty serious spike in conversion rates when you’re doing it properly.

DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Look out for some discount coupons which enable you to get credits for free for a $25-$50 spend. I get them on a regular basis via a magazine subscription to a magazine called “Nett”. That might be a good way to drive your dollar further while you are trying to refine things.

Spice Queen
    Up

That’s really interesting as someone else from FS mentioned the image (they were using an extra wide screen and had maximized the page) but I’ve tested the site (and got many others to test it) and the images look fine – nothing like they appear on extra wide screens.

Can I ask if you have a wide screen computer? The image problem doesn’t seem to be an issue on standard screens.

Thanks

MatthewKeath, post: 163389 wrote:
    I just looked at your site, and I could not read the product description because of the background image. I would not buy anything from the site as it is currently.

I would fix that before running any more ads.

Spice Queen
    Up

Thanks for all the tips – I guess Adwords is a learning process and takes some time and patience to get the correct keywords. I hadn’t even thought of using negative keywords as suggested above. I’ll lower my budget and have another play around.

Hi there,

I have just started my Adwords journey – and I can tell you my budget is similar to yours. I’m yet to see any results either so far – but I think I just need patience to find the right keywords and set up appropriate landing pages.

I found a great book called “Your First Three Months on Adwords” (or something like that) and it is gold. It is only a few pages (about 20) but manages to distill into step by step processes how to do keyword research, set up campaigns and then analyse the results to drill into a niche that’s going to make you money. I highly recommend it. Here’s a link to it on BizzBuzz: http://bizzbuzz.com.au/deals/adwords…e-iain-dooley/

Good luck with it and I hope you get some good results soon!

Thanks for the link and encouragement! It’s good to know I’m not alone on this adwords discovery journey. Good luck to you too!

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

The smaller budget is an advantage. You can focus your money on a small, cheaper and converting audience. Bigger budgets have to pay more to capture a bigger share.

Only advertise on exact keywords that are buying terms. And only to people in your location. Cut out the weaker keywords and your bid levels till Google can’t spend your money. Then play with creating broad keywords from your winners to find out more strong keywords to target.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    Spice Queen, post: 163412 wrote:
    That’s really interesting as someone else from FS mentioned the image (they were using an extra wide screen and had maximized the page) but I’ve tested the site (and got many others to test it) and the images look fine – nothing like they appear on extra wide screens.

Can I ask if you have a wide screen computer? The image problem doesn’t seem to be an issue on standard screens.

Thanks

I have the same problem. The words are obscured by your chillies on the right. My monitors are all 1920 pixels wide.

Dinus
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

I agree with a couple of the previous comments. The fact that:
    I started off with a max of $20 a day and am hitting the max most days. This wouldn’t be a problem at all if those clicks were converting to sales, but they aren’t really at the moment.

is telling.

Online business needs both traffic AND conversions.

The ad may well be working, but if your landing page is not converting you will be wasting money.

Start by looking at your analytics data and working out where/when visitors are leaving your site.

Cheers
    Dino

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Spice Queen, post: 163412 wrote:

ThanksYes, I have a wide screen. It may be that 85% of people have no issues, but 15% is still a lot of potential people.

If you can’t even see the right margin background image on small screens it may be worth getting rid of it.

Spice Queen
    Up

Thanks for letting me know about this. I contacted BigCommerce who said it’s because the image wasn’t ‘fixed’ and therefore adjusted with different resolutions. I have my web designer working on it so hopefully should be sorted soon.

If not I’ll change the background.

MatthewKeath, post: 163502 wrote:
    Yes, I have a wide screen. It may be that 85% of people have no issues, but 15% is still a lot of potential people.

If you can’t even see the right margin background image on small screens it may be worth getting rid of it.

Re: Adwords. I think my list of words was just way too long!! I’ll take advice from here and work with specific words so I can work on a reduced budget.

One of the things I was doing for example was including both spice and spices and chillie/ chillies…. am I correct in assuming that you don’t need both the singular and the plural?

Spice Queen
    Up

Start by looking at your analytics data and working out where/when visitors are leaving your site.

That’s another piece of great advice I hadn’t even thought of… finding out when people are leaving the site.:o

Many thanks to you all for all the great suggestions! I’m sure there are plenty of people who will learn a bit more about Adwords from this thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.