Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Algorithm Change – Re-think your link building

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    ::

So google changed the algorithm (once again – no surprise there) and many people seem to panic about what works now and what doesn’t work regarding SEO.

SEO and link building it’s all about DIVERSIFICATION .

This means, don’t put all your eggs in one basket, because then the big-bad-Google-wolf comes and SLAP-your-links .

So it’s time to spice your link building and do things in a more original way.

Some quick-ninja SEO moves

1) If you where doing Article marketing , convert that articles into Videos… and send them to different video sites, (don’t forget to add your link)

2) read your article and record it … voila! that’s a podcast!

3) Compile your best articles, make them into a small “ebook” and upload them to share document sharing sites. Like scribd and google docs

4) Guest Posting…. (yeah baby!) become a guest blogger in one an authority site like FlyingSolo. This type of posts can do wonders for your SEO, reputation and PR… obviously don’t forget: QUALITY MATTERS

5) Sponsor an event, website, local community website… many of these type of sites have high Page rank and they are happy to post a link back to your site.

6) Find your competitors links , understand how they are doing link building and go out there and “try” to get the same type of links. Remember… many links are almost impossible to replicate, but for sure the research will give you new ideas about original ways to link build

7) Leave testimonials. If you are using software, services, or any type of products.. you can always create a nice testimonial and send it to the provider of this type of services. Many of them are happy to showcase your testimonial with a lovely link back to your site.

8) Use social media for link bait: Promote your BEST STUFF via social media. Usually top content, can really take off with some luck when using some social media sites…

9) Build and army of affiliates. how many of you are willing to give a commission to affiliates? Well, affiliates have also websites and they can also link back to your site. (this has a huge potential if you know how to use it properly)

10) Understand how Google works: Google it’s a business, and as a business, it has policies, goals and “darker motives” [lol]. It;s not all about quality for Google… it’s all about “the websites they like” vs the “sites they don’t” So give google what google wants and Link building from the sites Google love’s .

11) Don’t panic. Google will change again… and again and again…. just diversify your link building and get links from the right places.

;) good luck Solo members.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Great info – much appreciated.

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Once again thanks for the awesome info :)

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Having a Google profile, linking from your web sites’ About page to it (rel=”author”), and from there (a link on your Google profile), back to your website, can tell Google that you actually are the author of the posts – in turn leading to much better SERPs – because you’re now a verified author – in Google’s eyes.

Here’s an interesting blog post about how it works (or should I say, what results you can expect, or not, as the case may be)

http://www.seounique.com/blog/google-author-image-new-positioning/

But imagine that? Your avatar right beside your article!

Trust.

I think that’s a biggie – if you’re prepared to put yourself out there with a real picture, and have a verified Google Account, why not take advantage of the tools that the Big G provide to give you better rankings?

Something to be aware of anyway.

Cheers

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

Sounds like it’s time for us to all start buying +1s for our sites too! :)

http://bit.ly/pY9GzJ

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

If you want an idea how often Google tweaks their algorithm, here’s an interesting read for those that are interested.

Here’s a quote from Eric Schmidt (Former Google CEO)

To give you a sense of the scale of the changes that Google considers, in 2010 we conducted 13,311 precision evaluations to see whether proposed algorithm changes improved the quality of its search results, 8,157 side-by-side experiments where it presented two sets of search results to a panel of human testers and had the evaluators rank which set of results was better, and 2,800 click evaluations to see how a small sample of real-life Google users responded to the change.Ultimately, the process resulted in 516 changes that were determined to be useful to users based on the data and, therefore, were made to Google’s algorithm. Most of these changes are imperceptible to users and affect a very small percentage of websites, but each one of them is implemented only if we believe the change will benefit our users.

businesstrader
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Google make over 500 algorithm changes every year. It is changing literally everyday. Webmasters need to focus on creating high qualit content and the links will come.

My site benefited greatly with the recent pnada update and I put it down to continuously added fresh high qulaity content.

Re the rel=”autor” tag, I am not a huge supporter at this stage. There is no evidence to suggest this will help with serp rankings and the only benefit is this will tell Google you are the author of this article.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

But Peter, wouldn’t you think that, given two completely separate pieces of content, on different domains, but which both answer the searchers’ query (all things being equal) and both then are a good choice for Google to decide which to show to the searcher, and one has a verified author profile, and the other does not, that Google would “prefer” the author-verified content over the other?

I recently found one of my own blog posts being respun on a site that simply had the content of my post surrounded by adsense everywhere – I deleted my blog post because I had a few red wines whilst writing it (note to self: never write blog posts whilst inebriated!) but I wonder which URL would have appeared in the SERPs had I done a search. (I found the respun site in the Twitter search alert I set up – this other site had tweeted their own URL using the title of my original blog post….)

The point is moot now since I’ve deleted my post, but I’d love to see the difference in the SERPs between author-verified sites versus non-verified.

But I agree with your point about quality, consistent, fresh content. That’s the most important thing – all the other things are helpful (which is why I persevered with getting my author stuff set up)

Cheers
    Brad

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Straight from the horse’s mouth; Google hopes to start using the rel=author as a ranking signal in the future – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFb6Y-UJUI&feature=youtu.be&t=57s

I think it’s a logical step in the evolution of a search engine. It’d be a great way to make life a little harder for scrapers – however, I’m sure we’ll find new tools popping up, which will rewrite the rel=author to rel=scraper. Wouldn’t be too hard to come up with.

bradzo, post: 91685 wrote:
    But Peter, wouldn’t you think that, given two completely separate pieces of content, on different domains, but which both answer the searchers’ query (all things being equal) and both then are a good choice for Google to decide which to show to the searcher, and one has a verified author profile, and the other does not, that Google would “prefer” the author-verified content over the other?

I recently found one of my own blog posts being respun on a site that simply had the content of my post surrounded by adsense everywhere – I deleted my blog post because I had a few red wines whilst writing it (note to self: never write blog posts whilst inebriated!) but I wonder which URL would have appeared in the SERPs had I done a search. (I found the respun site in the Twitter search alert I set up – this other site had tweeted their own URL using the title of my original blog post….)

The point is moot now since I’ve deleted my post, but I’d love to see the difference in the SERPs between author-verified sites versus non-verified.

But I agree with your point about quality, consistent, fresh content. That’s the most important thing – all the other things are helpful (which is why I persevered with getting my author stuff set up)

Cheers
    Brad

businesstrader
    Up
    bradzo, post: 91685 wrote:

I see your point and it is a great tool minimise scrapers and copyright issues, however until I see proof of actual rankings improvements, I won’t be spending a whole lot of time working on it.

As ‘1up’ mentioned below, the youtube video which I watched the same day it was released, says ‘they hope to use it as a ranking factor’……’hope’. This means they currently do not….IMO.

Siyoko
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    seocourse, post: 67896 wrote:
    So google changed the algorithm (once again – no surprise there) and many people seem to panic about what works now and what doesn’t work regarding SEO.

SEO and link building it’s all about DIVERSIFICATION .

This means, don’t put all your eggs in one basket, because then the big-bad-Google-wolf comes and SLAP-your-links .

So it’s time to spice your link building and do things in a more original way.

Some quick-ninja SEO moves

1) If you where doing Article marketing , convert that articles into Videos… and send them to different video sites, (don’t forget to add your link)

2) read your article and record it … voila! that’s a podcast!

3) Compile your best articles, make them into a small “ebook” and upload them to share document sharing sites. Like scribd and google docs

4) Guest Posting…. (yeah baby!) become a guest blogger in one an authority site like FlyingSolo. This type of posts can do wonders for your SEO, reputation and PR… obviously don’t forget: QUALITY MATTERS

5) Sponsor an event, website, local community website… many of these type of sites have high Page rank and they are happy to post a link back to your site.

6) Find your competitors links , understand how they are doing link building and go out there and “try” to get the same type of links. Remember… many links are almost impossible to replicate, but for sure the research will give you new ideas about original ways to link build

7) Leave testimonials. If you are using software, services, or any type of products.. you can always create a nice testimonial and send it to the provider of this type of services. Many of them are happy to showcase your testimonial with a lovely link back to your site.

8) Use social media for link bait: Promote your BEST STUFF via social media. Usually top content, can really take off with some luck when using some social media sites…

9) Build and army of affiliates. how many of you are willing to give a commission to affiliates? Well, affiliates have also websites and they can also link back to your site. (this has a huge potential if you know how to use it properly)

10) Understand how Google works: Google it’s a business, and as a business, it has policies, goals and “darker motives” [lol]. It;s not all about quality for Google… it’s all about “the websites they like” vs the “sites they don’t” So give google what google wants and Link building from the sites Google love’s .

11) Don’t panic. Google will change again… and again and again…. just diversify your link building and get links from the right places.

;) good luck Solo members.

love the tips… so easy to understand.

businesstrader
    Up

Do not put all of your eggs on one basket…..This is a great point.

One of my frequently used article directorys recently (work.com) shut down and I lost alot of good articles with pr. Fortunately for me this will have no impact on my site, but proves that you can not reply on article directories alone.

Building your own blogs is a great way to control your links.

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Sounds heretical, but I would take the emphasis off link building and focus more on keyword research and correctly optimising your posts/pages. I think the old “nofollow” issue has had it’s day as well.

I think attribute content where attribution is due and send a decent link at the same time.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    Tony Pfitzner, post: 92478 wrote:
    I think attribute content where attribution is due and send a decent link at the same time.

Tony – or anyone – can you explain this a bit further?

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    JaneB, post: 92512 wrote:
    Tony – or anyone – can you explain this a bit further?
    Sorry Jane – what I said was a bit vague.

What I am saying is you can leverage the content of other sites without losing authority and by properly attributing the original author.

For example, if you are a plumber you could benefit by blogging about plumbing related issues. You can get content from other sites, but instead of doing something dumb, like spinning it, you could write a sensible review, including a substantial quote of original content in block quotes. Also in the blockquotes you would include a link to the original article for proper attribution. This is a proper dofollow link – not a nofollow.

Your review adds value to the original article in the eyes of Google . If you combine this technique with some proper keyword research and monitoring search engine results using a decent tool like Raven Tools you will achieve good results. The SERPS tracking with Raven enable you to monitor accurately your positions from week to week across a large number of keywords, find weaknesses in your rankings and address them with focussed content – some your own, some from other authors.

Hell. I normally charge for this type of info:(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.