Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Apps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    @HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    ::

This thread so needs to get started doesn’t it!

I am looking to migrating to Google Applications.

My website guys have told me to do it myself, but it looks complicated, so I am going to try and get someone else to do it.

Did anyone else do it themselves – was it ok?

GoogleApplications Gmail – do adverts appear in the standard edition?

I have the .com and .com.au for my web address, if an email accidently is snet to .com.au can it re-route to .com?

I have read lots of positives about Google Applications – does anyone have any negatives to share about the ‘standard’ edition?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Heather,

I’ve been using the hosted version of Gmail for 18 months (I think) now. Touch wood it’s never missed a beat.

Technically there are a couple of things you have to do like verify your domain and change some MX records to what Google specify. If you have access to a web person they can help you out and if you have a nice webhost like I do they’ll even change your MX (mail exchange) records for you.

Yes, you get ads in a sidebar, but never as footer inserts like Hotmail or Yahoo. No-one would ever know you’re using Gmail.

Don’t have any experience with multiple domain names, sorry. There is a optional setting in the admininstration to “Associate another domain with this account” so that might be what you’re after.

All the best.

MYOB, post: 5870 wrote:
    This thread so needs to get started doesn’t it!

I am looking to migrating to Google Applications.

My website guys have told me to do it myself, but it looks complicated, so I am going to try and get someone else to do it.

Did anyone else do it themselves – was it ok?

GoogleApplications Gmail – do adverts appear in the standard edition?

I have the .com and .com.au for my web address, if an email accidently is snet to .com.au can it re-route to .com?

I have read lots of positives about Google Applications – does anyone have any negatives to share about the ‘standard’ edition?

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up

Thanks Martin

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

I would think twice before using gmail for your emails if you are running a business. There is a lot of spam out there and they are using the free emails from yahoo, hotmail and gmail and as such they are starting to be blocked.

It is possible to have emails sent to multiple domains forwarded to a single email address. It is done on the mail server.

Your mail server information will always show up in the header of an email normally it is not displayed in outlook but it is available and in other email programs it is displayed at the top of the email.

As for the apps do what ever is suitable for the operation of your business.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

This link – http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/admins/resources/setup/ will definitely help you. There’s even a video to help you go through the process.

radharc
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Heather

It’s not a bad idea using Google mail as the primary mail server, your email still appears to come from your domain, in fact its hard to tell technically that you are using a google server. I have found that google mail is more reliable than any hosted service I have paid for over the years.

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up

Thanks for your input, I am at step 3 of 6 of setting up Google Apps.

SydneyWebService
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

I have been using Google mail server to handle my email, and so far, less spam and junks…However, it is also a good idea to download your email to mail clients such as Outlook (I use Thunderbirds!). The way I handle my emails:

• Enable POP in your Google Mail accounts
    • Configure your email accounts with Outlook (or Thunerbirds)
    • Make sure you check the option to leave mail on server
    • Configure your email account on another device such as Blackberry

This way, I have been able to retrieve, and write emails virtually anywhere I go, plus I will have multiple backup!

Hope this helps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.