Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Australia may be wiping out many SEO “experts”.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    IMHO, G has implemented changes to google.com.au this year that have more impact on Australian company’s ranking results and conversions than anything it has done since the site was launched.

These changes include:

• Many more International sites are now ranking high in SERPS
    • Universal search results are now reported more frequently
    • How G classifies an “Australian” page has changed completely
    • Links from distributed magazine sites have been decimated in value
    • G is now threatening owners of sites with “un-natural” links penalties if it finds them.

Following is an opinion piece video (not fact) but it comes from one of the most informed and research based SEO comapanies in the USA.

“6 Changes Every SEO Should Make BEFORE the Over-Optimization Penalty Hits – Whiteboard Friday”
    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/6-changes-every-seo-should-make-before-the-over-optimization-penalty-hits-whiteboard-friday

I’d personally critise the video for not emphasizing more that the presentation is all speculative. That said, it does address a bunch of issues that G MAY USE to downgrade a site’s ranking and the author has certainly earned respect in the industry.

What is fact is that G has opened a new war front on link building schemes. In the last few weeks, G has started sending out these emails:

“Dear site owner or webmaster of (domain name.com).

We’ve detected that some of your site’s pages may be using techniques that are outside Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.

Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links pointing to your site that could be intended to manipulate PageRank. Examples of unnatural linking could include buying links to pass PageRank or participating in link schemes.

We encourage you to make changes to your site so that it meets our quality guidelines. Once you’ve made these changes, please submit your site for reconsideration in Google’s search results.

If you find unnatural links to your site that you are unable to control or remove, please provide the details in your reconsideration request.

If you have any questions about how to resolve this issue, please see our Webmaster Help Forum for support.

Sincerely,
    Google Search Quality Team”

G is apparently giving webmasters 3-4 weeks to remedy the problem.

What I hope these changes will do is wipe out many of the “SEO experts” whose tactics were based on submitting for links in hundreds of useless directories, magazine article sites and other irrelevant link building schemes.

Regs,
    JohnW

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

Hi John,

Traditional SEO methods are becoming less and less effective as the search engines are becoming more and more personalized. (Google Toolbar, Search Plus Your World, Google+, etc.)

‘Social’ signals or activity is being given more and more weight and traditional SEO’s are going to have to become Search Engine Marketers to survive.

Rather than everybody guessing about what Google may or may not be doing it would be better to listen to the actual audio where Matt Cutts announces what everybody is calling the ‘over optimisation penalty’.

For those who are interested, you can listen to the audio here:
    http://goo.gl/ctzT9

I recommend anybody who has anything to do with web design, SEO, internet marketing, etc. listen to it.

It is nothing new though. Google still has the same Goal they have always had. To give searcher’s relevant results. With each new algorithm change they are just refining that.

“Don’t be evil” is the informal corporate motto (or slogan) of Google, and many SEO’s would certainly find dealing with Google way more conducive if they looked at Google and SEO from that perspective.

P.S. The timing of those emails being sent out in relation to the timing of Google’s banning of over 500,000 private blog network sites from the Google index may be associated. I am not sure though but it seems like a bit of a coincidence to me. :)

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

Hi John,

Traditional SEO methods are becoming less and less effective as the search engines are becoming more and more personalized. (Google Toolbar, Search Plus Your World, Google+, etc.)

‘Social’ signals or activity is being given more and more weight and traditional SEO’s are going to have to become Search Engine Marketers to survive.

Rather than everybody guessing about what Google may or may not be doing it would be better to listen to the actual audio where Matt Cutts announces what everybody is calling the ‘over optimisation penalty’.

I recommend anybody who has anything to do with web design, SEO, internet marketing, etc. listen to it.

It is nothing new though. Google still has the same Goal they have always had. To give searcher’s relevant results. With each new algorithm change they are just refining that.

“Don’t be evil” is the informal corporate motto (or slogan) of Google, and many SEO’s would certainly find dealing with Google way more conducive if they looked at Google and SEO from that perspective.

P.S. The timing of those emails being sent out in relation to the timing of Google’s banning of over 500,000 private blog network sites from the Google index may be associated. I am not sure though but it seems like a bit of a coincidence to me. :)

JohnW
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 113697 wrote:

It is nothing new though. Google still has the same Goal they have always had. To give searcher’s relevant results.
    Hi TJ,
    I support you recommendations.

An excellent reference to an audio that answers many of the recent SEO debates on FS.

I know it’s long but if anyone starts offering advice here that is contrary to that offered by these two from Google and Bing, those that have listened will be very aware of the poster’s limited SEO knowledge.

Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 113697 wrote:

It is nothing new though. Google still has the same Goal they have always had. To give searcher’s relevant results.
    Hi TJ,
    I support you recommendations.

An excellent reference to an audio that answers many of the recent SEO debates on FS.

I know it’s long but if anyone starts offering advice here that is contrary to that offered by these two from Google and Bing, those that have listened will be very aware of the poster’s limited SEO knowledge.

Regs,
    JohnW

RAds
    • Total posts: 126
    Up

I don’t do anything even slightly black hat for one of my sites – it collects organic links gradually as a lot of people like linking to it, and every week it is just that tiny bit higher in the rankings, so me not doing anything does work.

However, other than a search for the site name itself, the highest ranking keyphrase I have is #5.8 and the highest keyword is #12, overall I rank around #9 for keyphrases and about #50 for keywords, with some of my top 100 by volume search strings being well below #100 (my #3 search string by volume I rank #79, for example).

So what on earth are you supposed to do for SEO these days?

Although if I started to rank above #5 I suspect I’d be up for yet another hike in hosting costs :(

RAds
    • Total posts: 126
    Up

I don’t do anything even slightly black hat for one of my sites – it collects organic links gradually as a lot of people like linking to it, and every week it is just that tiny bit higher in the rankings, so me not doing anything does work.

However, other than a search for the site name itself, the highest ranking keyphrase I have is #5.8 and the highest keyword is #12, overall I rank around #9 for keyphrases and about #50 for keywords, with some of my top 100 by volume search strings being well below #100 (my #3 search string by volume I rank #79, for example).

So what on earth are you supposed to do for SEO these days?

Although if I started to rank above #5 I suspect I’d be up for yet another hike in hosting costs :(

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    RAds, post: 113766 wrote:

How come?

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    RAds, post: 113766 wrote:

How come?

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Opportunities come wrapped as crisises. I know this sounds cheesy but it’s true.

More money is made during volatility and disruption.

Gotta zig when others zag.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Opportunities come wrapped as crisises. I know this sounds cheesy but it’s true.

More money is made during volatility and disruption.

Gotta zig when others zag.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.