Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Changing SERPS layout again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

Just noticed G is changing results around again with a new look for local searches which also makes more room for AdWords exposure – Google Results Nov 11.

Thoughts?

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I’ve definitely noticed more and more that Googs is trying to give me just about everything it can in one go.

I’ve also noticed that they’re doing a Facebook and changing stuff every 5 minutes with a “like it or lump it” mentality. Googlebooking isn’t pleasing me these days, especially in light of the changes to the search referrer (I KNOW, it’s minor, but it actually does affect me).

That said, I love, Love, LOVE the mobile search that pulls locations out in a heartbeat. Oh, I still get lost, but it’s not Goog’s fault.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I noticed that my beloved “Search pages from Australia” clicky has disappeared. Very frustrating.

DaveLye
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

More room for Adwords… hmm why would they do that?!!

Of course there is a threat to Google in this regard. As the web moves more and more mobile, they don’t have the real estate on a smartphone to show 3+8 ads.

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

Was wondering about the pages from Australia filter… Assume they now serve up oz results as a default?!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I absolutely HATE Google Places, I think it really penalises businesses such as mine that aren’t in a capital city (my browser always defaults to Perth!).

I realise it’s a business and at the end of the day Google are out to make money and don’t care what users think.

Oooh, feel better for having a bit of a vent! 😮

DaveLye
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    craiglongmuir.com, post: 95883 wrote:
    Was wondering about the pages from Australia filter… Assume they now serve up oz results as a default?!

No they will show international results too but there’s a pretty large bias (thankfully) for local results so AU website will continue to dominate.

So much happening at Google recently it’s hard to keep up!

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

AGAIN…lol…those peoples in cubicles are crazy!

I’ve never much used facebook or what not but one of the things that drove me off it was that I tire of change (facebook completely suck for adhoc changes, got better things to do). I think Google should be careful about similar problems….I’d be pretty certain I’m not the only tired of change, but then maybe that’s normal and they got enough money out of me lol..

I wonder if louder television commercials drive people onto computers and too much change back onto television….I’d imagine it’s something difficult to test…

I have gone back to reading books more than online stuff over the past few months…it’s much more efficient…they change less and have better structured info…

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Well, we are installing a version of Unix that we are unfamiliar with onto a new box for a customer, as this supposedly gives the quickest path to a new working system. Anyway – this means a lot of searches on Google for specific details for this version – so we are incredibly frustrated with the fact that recently Google searches seem to totally ignore the + flag, with or without “” around the specific term required… This is not a good aspect of the latest changes and has led to a lot of frustration in our office recently!

So, Google, please at least leave the features that worked alone – and stop with the Facebook-like random changes!

(My rant for the day…)

Kathy

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Google is averaging over two algorithm changes per day this year.

Search results layout changes are also coming thick and fast. Their date of introduction is dependent on the browser you are using. Some are probably temporary changes while a redesign layout is rolled out across all their servers and stylesheets for the different browsers.

Now add to the equation the fact that G started “reading” Javascript and Ajax code in the last couple of weeks…

Eg. For the first time G can now “read” text and links in Facebook Comments. That is the comments on 686 million web pages. (http://searchengineland.com/many-facebook-comments-now-being-indexed-by-google-99399)

You just know that a technical change of this magnitute is going to precipitate countless algorithm changes as G adjusts it to deliver good search results.

It sounds like this could make life hard for those cheap link build service offers that spam my in box.

Regs,
    JohnW

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    JohnW, post: 96307 wrote:
    It sounds like this could make life hard for those cheap link build service offers that spam my in box.

Regs,
    JohnW

Every cloud… :D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.