Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Chrome and SSL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::

Have just been reading up on the news that Google as of January will identify a website as insecure in their Chrome browser if it doesn’t use the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol on the server.

Currently the browser shows the “padlock” when SSL is used but leaves the browser bar blank if it doesn’t (as do most other browsers).

How long before other browsers do the same thing? Not long is my guess.

Seems it’s all part of a big push for SSL “everywhere”, a good thing imo.

My interest has been raised because typically I’m targeting mobile users in search…some of the new web capabilities, like Geofencing, Geolocation, Service Workers and the ability to interact with underlying device OS’s and hardware require SSL to work properly.

Google indicates that there is already a small ranking boost to sites using SSL. Will this become a much bigger deal soon?

How well will your average website appeal if they get marked as insecure and users become truly aware of the difference through constant exposure to what SSL can offer?

Maybe it’ll be the death of poor shared hosting.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 241312, member: 38207 wrote:
    Maybe it’ll be the death of poor shared hosting.

There’s already a few companies offering SSL certificates on shared hosting. (So called shared certificates).
    e.g. https://www.siteground.com/ssl-hosting.htm

In fact my VentraIP account lets me install a free “Let’s Encrypt” SSL certificate on my shared hosting.

However it will affect my little niche because one of the really nice Magento extensions for Full Page Caching only works for non-SSL pages.
    (Typically you would use SSL for the checkout/customer pages and non-SSL for home/category/product pages, in case you were wondering)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’m pretty much only using Heroku atm and also DNSimple for DNS, so the same deal with Let’s Encrypt is a one click job apparently…more procrastination…haven’t done it yet.

Pity about the caching extension…maybe there’s an opportunity creating another one?

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 241347, member: 38207 wrote:
    Let’s Encrypt is a one click job apparently…more procrastination…haven’t done it yet.

I wouldn’t bother to be honest. I only know about it because a client installed it and then had issues with Internet Explorer 9 not trusting it and displaying “Page Cannot Be Displayed”. Took me a while to work out what was going on.
    More ‘easy solutions’ causing more headaches!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.