Home – New Forums Tech talk Google dropped my Page Rank- should I be gutted?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    ::

My sites still seem to be ranking well but by blog http://awebsitedesigner.com.au and main site have both been PR5 for a long time and they were dropped to PR4 in the last update.

What do people think? Should I care?

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

Dan,

As long as your site is still ranking well I would not worry too much about it. I see PageRank more as a “Trophy” status rather than a “Ranking” status because as you may be already aware you can have a site with PR2 outrank a site with a PR4.

The PageRank algorithm was originally the one main factor that made Google stand out from the rest of the SE’s, but it also created the Paid Link schemes debacle that became Google’s worst nightmare. Till this day it is still trying to tackle this problem.

Focus on ranking rather than PR…

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I actually wish they’d stop showing PR in the toolbar, it has little relation to the actual PR used in the algorithm and is not something to be worried about.

I think of optimisation as a point scoring exercise with many ways (200 ish ?) to score points, the game is to score more points than the competition for the keyword involved. PR might be one way to score a point or two but there are many avenues through which you can score more points!

websitedesigner
    Up

Hi guys thanks I guess I am just a bit confused. I have put so much work into that site in the last 6 months, the position in Google has gone from 6th to 1st for the keyword I rank for so I figured I was doing the right thing, it just seems odd that my PR would drop. I’ll keep an eye on the rankings.

iamsparro
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

PR seems to run on a completely different timeline to actual rankings – sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

I think Page Rank has been devalued – and in the last Page Rank dance (about two weeks ago to which I assume you are referring) half the business pages on FB got awarded 5s and 6s just based on Facebook’s domain authority!!!!

My test site dropped a rank too but I left it abandoned for six months and I deserved a slap on the wrist. I note though that I have had a slight drop in traffic too but am not sure if it’s because of Panda, changes I’ve made recently (ditched some old keywords to go after better ones) or it’s PR related. I think Google is being a bit screwy at the moment anyway because for a week after the PR changes, 23 of my inbound root domains disappeared. I thought they’d all been deindexed in the dance but then they came back – so god knows :) I wouldn’t worry too much unless your traffic is dropping too.

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Ranking > Pagerank. Unless you sell links, in which case Pagerank > Ranking :)

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 82523 wrote:
    My sites still seem to be ranking well but by blog http://awebsitedesigner.com.au and main site have both been PR5 for a long time and they were dropped to PR4 in the last update.

What do people think? Should I care?

Sorry to hear that Dan, did you lose a link from a PR6-7 that you know of in the recent months?

Cheers!
    Samith

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Yeah, I noticed mine dropped a couple of weeks ago as well. I was a bit gutted too, but it’s only a number at the end of the day. :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

I offer a less constrained reply than Aidan.

PR is as useful as a glass door on a dunny.

All you have to do to prove it is check the PR of the results for any search phrase.

I just ran one two word search phrase.

The top 5 results had a PR of zero. Two of these top, zero PR pages were from the same domain. # 6 & 7 had a PR of 5. You could find pages down around the 500th ranking with PR of 2.

Forget PR!

Regs,
    JohnW

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

I agree with John on this, PR = meaningless for the most part.

Focus on rankings on keywords that drive traffic that will buy from you.

Printerboy
    • Total posts: 151
    Up

Page rank as quoted by Google employee on their support forum;

“We only update the PageRank displayed in Google Toolbar a few times a year; this is our respectful hint for you to worry less about PageRank”

Page rank is only component of over 200 that effect your sites Rank and Pos.

Ben

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

In case anyone noticed and was wondering why pagerank isn’t showing up on most third party tools anymore at the moment: It’s not gone. Google just changed the lookup URL.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=68599e90797521cc&hl=en

We’ll have to wait till developers fix their tools.

websitedesigner
    Up

Thanks for the tip, was wondering about that

businesstrader
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Page rank is easy to build up, rankings are much harder. I prefer good rankings compared to high pr.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.