Home Forums Tech talk Google Page Layout Changes – BIG Implications!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    marketingweb, post: 56236 wrote:
    True, but you can also do the same thing on most marketing – eg putting an advertisement in a newspaper isn’t a guarantee of results.

This has been a very interesting thread… thanks everyone.

I guess it comes back to old rules… test and measure, test and measure

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917

Hi guys Will Swayne from Marketing Results is doing a webinar today at 1pm AEST (12 noon Brisbane time) on these changes. Here is the link http://www.marketing-results.com.au/webinars/local-search-domination

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

Dammit – already arranged to be at the pub with a colleague then… talking Google of course.

Let us know what he says?

:)

Allied
    • Total posts: 96

Hi

This is all very interesting reading. I’ve also read that Google is working on offering paid advertising for the top Google Places postions as well. This will really mess things up. (beta for US only) You get a blue pushpin instead of a red one for your Google Places ad.

My website dropped one position for one main keywords from 1 to 2 and then I have been placed in No 1 postions for many other keywords that I never even showed up for before. These are more localised searches using suburb names. I can’t see a pattern yet as to why this happened but it does seem to have something to do with Google Places as I don’t have these suburb names anywhere on my website. We got extra work in these suburbs over the last week and I was wondering why so many, I searched using the suburbs and there we were No 1.

Still watching!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097

Google Places is great if you’re a business in a metro area – absolutely no use whatsoever if, like me, you operate from a regional town…..

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    bridiej, post: 56395 wrote:
    Google Places is great if you’re a business in a metro area – absolutely no use whatsoever if, like me, you operate from a regional town…..

Or don’t have a geographic location, like my caricatures business. Mine and my artist’s locations are irrelevant as we deliver to anywhere on earth (even into the Baghdad green zone a couple of months after the second invasion)

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917

Hi guys re the seminar on Friday, it was very good. Gab has put a new post in the forum on optimising for Google places and I’ve added a few comments to that which I picked up from the webinar.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    King, post: 56396 wrote:
    Or don’t have a geographic location, like my caricatures business. Mine and my artist’s locations are irrelevant as we deliver to anywhere on earth (even into the Baghdad green zone a couple of months after the second invasion)

Sounds interesting

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591

Slowly but surely, it seems that Google Instant is finally here in Australia also. As Matt mentioned also the top three placements on page #1 are now sponsored ads in lieu of the top three organic results.

Truthfully, in the past when I searched online I never clicked on any sponsored ads when they were aligned to the right. But, now that we have more sponsored ads on the top of the page I’m certain the average SE user would not hesitate to click all three paid ads before the organic results.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    WAHE, post: 57033 wrote:
    Slowly but surely, it seems that Google Instant is finally here in Australia also. As Matt mentioned also the top three placements on page #1 are now sponsored ads in lieu of the top three organic results.

Truthfully, in the past when I searched online I never clicked on any sponsored ads when they were aligned to the right. But, now that we have more sponsored ads on the top of the page I’m certain the average SE user would not hesitate to click all three paid ads before the organic results.

WAHE – I think you will find that the top three listings have ALWAYS been paid ones. The only time this is not the case is where Google doesn’t have any strong adwords bidding, but only people like ebay who have some form of “we will pay a couple cents for almost any search term” – these not overly relevant ones start in the right column.

The ones the the right in most cases are just the ones that are the overflow from the top 3. If you think that in the past you didn’t click on Adwords but WERE clicking the listings right at the top, you were probably clicking paid Adwords results without realising.

This hasn’t changes at all – although the note on them has changed from saying “Sponsored Listings” to simply “Ads”, and I’ve seen some small studies that show this has actually increased the amount of people clicking through on them.

My point was never that Google is showing more of their standard Adwords advertisements – rather they are adding some additional paid options, plus putting more and more stuff at the top so less organic results show on the first screen. For now, the amount of Adwords listings is actually the same as it’s always been.

Matt

Cesar
    marketingweb, post: 57068 wrote:
    WAHE – I think you will find that the top three listings have ALWAYS been paid ones. The only time this is not the case is where Google doesn’t have any strong adwords bidding, but only people like ebay who have some form of “we will pay a couple cents for almost any search term” – these not overly relevant ones start in the right column.

The ones the the right in most cases are just the ones that are the overflow from the top 3. If you think that in the past you didn’t click on Adwords but WERE clicking the listings right at the top, you were probably clicking paid Adwords results without realising.

Matt, I think I have been online long enough to know what is adwords, paid ads and organic links. Maybe I should have phrased it differently to avoid any misunderstanding.

marketingweb, post: 57068 wrote:
    My point was never that Google is showing more of their standard Adwords advertisements – rather they are adding some additional paid options, plus putting more and more stuff at the top so less organic results show on the first screen. For now, the amount of Adwords listings is actually the same as it’s always been.

Matt, this is what I meant when I said that the average SE user would not hesitate to click all three paid ads before the organic results.

marketingweb
    WAHE, post: 57076 wrote:
    Matt, I think I have been online long enough to know what is adwords, paid ads and organic links. Maybe I should have phrased it differently to avoid any misunderstanding.

Matt, this is what I meant when I said that the average SE user would not hesitate to click all three paid ads before the organic results.

WAHE – I wasn’t having a go at you personally. I was just pointing out that when you say “I never clicked on any sponsored ads when they were aligned to the right” it seems to indicate you don’t know where they sit and seemed to think they had moved – from the right to the top. To put it bluntly – the ADVERTISEMENTS HAVE NOT MOVED – it’s everything else that has.

You always seem really keen to gloat over anyone else who makes a mistake or says something that isn’t quite right (even if it’s only in your eyes), so at least be big enough to take as good as you give and admit when you got something wrong.

Matt

Cesar
    marketingweb, post: 57093 wrote:
    WAHE – I wasn’t having a go at you personally. I was just pointing out that when you say “I never clicked on any sponsored ads when they were aligned to the right” it seems to indicate you don’t know where they sit and seemed to think they had moved – from the right to the top. To put it bluntly – the ADVERTISEMENTS HAVE NOT MOVED – it’s everything else that has.

Matt, firstly I never said the ads had moved from the right. Adwords have always been placed on the right hand side. I was just pointing out that now we have three ads above the fold as you mentioned, placing the organic links down further.

Let me re-phrase my initial post:

Truthfully, in the past when I searched online I never clicked on any sponsored ads when they were ONLY aligned to the right.

marketingweb, post: 57093 wrote:
    You always seem really keen to gloat over anyone else who makes a mistake or says something that isn’t quite right (even if it’s only in your eyes), so at least be big enough to take as good as you give and admit when you got something wrong.

Not only in my eyes Matt…

marketingweb
    WAHE, post: 57096 wrote:
    Matt, firstly I never said the ads had moved from the right. Adwords have always been placed on the right hand side. I was just pointing out that now we have three ads above the fold as you mentioned, placing the organic links down further.

Let me re-phrase my initial post:

Truthfully, in the past when I searched online I never clicked on any sponsored ads when they were ONLY aligned to the right.

WAHE, thanks for rephrasing your initial post. You have now stated with absolute clarify what your position is – that before there were Adwords ONLY at the right – and now they are at the right and top. (There is a slim chance you mean something altogether different “In cases where they were only at the right I didn’t click them, but I did when they were at the top”, but I doubt this is what you meant – if you did you really need to improve your written communication).

Presuming my understanding of your meaning is correct, the thing is, your statement is completely, 100% WRONG. Adwords have NEVER been ONLY aligned to the right. Not ever, not since the very first implementation. For some keywords they have only appeared at the right, and this hasn’t changed, but for the majority of competitive keywords 2-3 Adwords results have ALWAYS appeared at the top, and more at the right. This is based on a combination of bid value and “ad quality”, and this hasn’t changed at all with the latest changes.

I will state it again – There are NO extra positions for Adwords at the top now that weren’t there before – they have ALWAYS been there for selected search phrases. There may be some limited cases where there are advertisements appearing at the top there weren’t before (I haven’t personally noticed this), but this is not what the main blogsphere buzz is about – the buzz is about the other changes, and how they make these ones at the top more prominent via exclusion of other information, NOT that there are more standard Adwords ads appearing.

Since you seem to believe only what comes directly from the mouth of Google, please note the below links ALL of which appear on google.com itself, and all which reference Adwords at the top. Please note also that some of these are dated 12 months or more ago, well before the current changes.

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6119 (Where will my ads appear: Google search results pages: Alongside or above the search results…..”)

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords/thread?tid=44ad92fb3a0a8c30&hl=en (difference between sidebar ads and top ads)

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6084 (“May also appear in additional positions above the free search results”)

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords/thread?tid=325c15e98d2e8f54&hl=en (“only the highest ranking AdWords ads are eligible to appear in the top positions above the search results.”)

Matt

Cesar
    marketingweb, post: 55966 wrote:
    Overall it seems that Google is now working to getting more paid results “above the fold” (in the top section without scrolling down), and far less standard organic results there. This basically makes getting to #1 in Google even more valuable than before, but also potentially reduces the value of being ranked in positions 2-10, and especially positions 4-10.

Matt, we must be talking different languages…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.