Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Places getting me wrong!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Donoghue
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Can anyone give me tips for fixing my listing in Google? They’ve got my address and phone number wrong, even though I’ve gone into my Google account and updated it and received 2 postcards from them acknowledging the correction. The problem is that, when someone “googles” my name, (which is also my business name) Google shows them the wrong details and I miss out on their business. Aghhhhhh!

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

Google accounts can be horribly temperamental.
    I would try checking to see that you are the manager of the local Google page. When I google your name the first listing was a lawyer in Victoria, if this is you, I would click on the link to the Google + page, manage that and connect with your google account. See if that impacts the listings. Also Google often pulls the data from Yellow Pages and Yelp – so maybe check those as well.

Amber

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Margaret,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

Amber has given you some good advice. ;) There are no guarantees though, so make sure your website and other listings are all up to date – so if the worst happens, you’re not so reliant on that one listing.

Great to have you here. :)

Dave

Grant Mason
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Margaret –

This happened to me too. For one website I registered in Google Places about 5 years ago recently Google started showing a different phone number – than the one I had registered with Google. Here was the fix. You sign in using your Google account (maybe you need one if you don’t have one – I have no experience complaining to Google not signed in to Google). Pull up a search result with your listing showing. Then go to the bottom of the page where it says “send feedback.” Then complain. My problem above was fixed in a few hours.

You need to follow what AmberS says first.

Regards, Grant Mason.
    Gordon Executive Centre

mypresences
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Margaret … Google Places can be hard to deal with and can take some time for change to occur. There has also been a lot of transition with the move to Google+ Local pages way from Google Places. If you have logged into your dashboard and changed the details and have received confirmations from google then the data should be updated correctly in time. Is it fixed now?

One other thing to consider is multiple profiles .. this can happen very easily especially if the business has been around for awhile. Check to see if your business or yourself have multiple profiles in the google ecosystem and see if it is possible that the incorrect data is from another profile. If so you can get these removed.

You want a single optimised profile for your business on each service.

We have a new service that helps you identify wrong data and multiple profiles on google, yelp, truelocal, yellow pages and over 200 other services at http://www.mypresences.com/.

Good Luck sorting it out.

NickPMM
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hey Margaret, I have taken a look at your listing and it appears to be currently correct. The number listed on your website also matches the number in your Google+ Local listing.

As a recommendation I would remove your fax and mobile numbers from your site as it can confuse Google to a degree.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I’ll chime in here and say this kind of thing usually arises where there are conflicting entries in more authorative sites like yellowpages and truelocal.

Check and correct any entries you have on sites like those and Google should get the message. That and a lack of NAP info on your website. Try to put your contact details in the footer of each page to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.