Home – New Forums Tech talk Google Places Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Hey guys….. as I just got my listing to show up in Google Places I was wondering how Google goes about when to show these.

I know you can do a search and then click “Places” on the left hand side and they will show, but even times when I haven’t clicked that I have noticed they show up, but I’m not sure why?

How does Google decide to show them and when not to? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hmm…Good Question.

Google place works on the Basis of Physical location…Not by Google IP system.

When you have set up your Google places, then you have Enter some suburb or city name with Business and it match with user Query.

if you are Based in sydney and search for Dentist.

Google search Query: Dentist in Sydney

you will get results from Google places, as Google understand User is looking for some local results.

Now search for Dentist in Australia, you will not get that local results.

i hope it you will get it..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi Condor,

Just like for it’s search results, Google places relies on an algorithm to select the best results for any query. Although obviously the factors it takes into account are different for this to normal search rankings.

But in the end once you get your head around the fact that an algorithm (or mathematical formula, albeit a secret one) is selecting what to rank, in which order, it raises a second question: what are these factors, and what can I do to influence where Google ranks me in places search? Or in other words, what can I do to “optimise” my Places ranking?

Obviously only Google knows the full answer, but some factors are known. It’s something I have spent considerable time investigating, and actually offer a service whereby I can assist customer to improve their places rankings (Refer http://www.marketingweb.com.au/services.html#local if interested).

This is something that is very worthwhile. Often in places results you may notice a heap of results right close to you, and then on listed that is kinda a bit far away and seems the odd one out? In this case you can bet that they have done a better job of their “places optimisation”, and these other factors are so strong that it’s out ranking other closer choices, and thus being shown more often, to more potential customers.

There are some advanced strategies that I employ for clients, but the best general advice I can give you is to full out your profile as fully as possible. If Google offers you the chance to put in 10 pictures, put 10, don’t just put 2. Fill in your profile, add hours of business even if it doesn’t make sense to you, think hard about your services text etc. Google likes filled out profiles as it’s better content to provide than a 3/4 empty places page based only on content Google has scraped.

Matt

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for the posts guys. Matt, I will send you a PM about your service with regards to optimizing place listings.

Now for an example…. when I run searches on google.com.au (I don’t think it works on the .com right!?)

My location is set to “North Lake” for all the below.

Search: web design

No places listed

Click “Places” on the left..

I’m the 6th place listed

Search: web design perth

No places listed

Local results listed around Perth

Search: web design north lake

No places listed

I’m not listed strangely enough

Though what I’m getting at is I have noticed sometimes when searching that I don’t even NEED to click “places” on the left to get place listings to show, though sometimes I DO want them to show and they don’t…. kinda ironic.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi Condor,

Off to bed soon so will attention your PM in the morning!

Re the above, that is one thing I still have absolutely no firm idea about – what criteria Google uses to determine which categories get a places listing and which don’t. However if I had to guess (and that’s all it is), it would likely be a combination of:

1) Is the search one where people are likely to look for a local supplier?
    2) Is quality information available to show?

I think the first part is the big one, and suspect (again just a guess) that Google has manually created a list of categories to display. And I don’t think web design is one of these unfortunately. Try putting in “Web Design Melbourne” or even something specific suburb wise like “Web Design Richmond Victoria” – places don’t come up. And the whole subject become moot if Google doesn’t display a places listing for any of your target search terms – so few people click where you have to test that it’s not worth the time.

Compare this to something like lawn mowing – Google will generally pop up full list of “Places” listings no matter what location you specify. Up until recently they would display 6 listings no matter what for these type of terms, but lately I have noticed them dropping back to around 3 if they only have three “good ones”.

For example, one local client i’m particularly proud of: Try typing in “Mowing Albury” into Google. Below the paid ads, the first result is http://www.twincitylawnmowing.com.au (my client). Then a list of three “places”, the first of which is – you guessed it – Twin City Lawn Mowing. Google puts the site first because it sees it as a more relevant result than the places listings. Then below the places listings, yet again, Twin City Lawn Mowing as an internal page. Obviously a low competition keyword, as there are about 40 local mowing companies but only 3 with a website – which is the point i’m making…. even with very few good results to choose from, plus duplicates between the businesses listed in places and regular results, it STILL shows a listing. Because it’s lawn mowing, so it must be local!

Re point two, this is likely a much smaller factor. BUT I believe it is one – you will have probably noticed with Google Places that there are on occasion less than six places listed, and occasionally only ONE places type listing next to the first result, and nothing after that? I’ve had that happen once to a client after I did some work on their places page. Lasted like that for a few months, then a six-pack popped up with others as well. So yes, in some cases you can force/encourage Google to show places where they weren’t before.

Sorry this post is so long, it’s a bit of a topic I’m very interested in so I sprouted a bit! But hopefully will be of assistance

Matt

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Your post makes quite a bit of sense and yes, lawn mowing did come up with place listings without me having to click “places” on the left bar.

As you suggested this is likely because these services MUST be local. I guess they don’t do it for web design seeing as you could still hire a web designer from anywhere, whereas you couldn’t for a lawnmower (unless you were nuts :P).

Bit of a bummer and now makes me wonder how much traffic places actually gets when they are not on the listings be default.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.