Home – New Forums Tech talk Google +

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I joined google plus in the hope my business would improve its position in google search. Anyway I find it confusing. I have noticed that businesses on there tend to have ‘followers’ rather than circles. I have ‘circles’ and I wonder if google plus recognises me as a person rather than a business. If they do recognise me as a person rather than a business, but I’m still linked in to my website, will that have a positive effect on my ratings? How do I get google plus to recognise me as a business?
    Love to hear opinions
    Thanks you

david.pagotto
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi There,

Google+ can be a little bit confusing the first time you use it – especially compared to Facebook and Twitter.

From what you have said it looks like you want to setup a business page.

From the Google+ home page you will see a navigation bar appear when you hover over “Home” in the upper left hand corner. From here select “Pages” and now you can setup a business page.

Once you have a business page setup Google+ will allow you to swap between your personal page and business page using the drop down (next to your photo) in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I have a few clients whose G+ page I manage. You may actually want to have your own personal page which works with authorship (https://plus.google.com/authorship) /personal branding (if thats your thing?

And then also a company page.

Its really just like facebook were you have personal and company pages but yeah I find both confusing at times too :)

Give me a shout and I will happily help you as far as I can..

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Oh also g+ all tied in with local search now as well so you have some considerations there too if you are looking at ranking in the location based search results.

Do you already have Google places set up?

Sorry to add another layer of complication to the mix.

http://searchengineland.com/google-upgrades-google-places-dashboard-154372

I strongly believe that G+ is worth your time if you get it right. What industry are you in by the way. Reason I ask is it might be worth checking out some of the communities (you should see them in a tab up top of your screen when you do a search. Those tabs act like filters on your search (IMO one of the coolest things about g + is there search functionality).

Everything People and pages Communities Google+ posts Photos More

But anyway get the basics right and then check out comunities :)

The basics:

As david.pagotto mentioned…

Get a company page,

http://www.google.com/+/business/ That link is all you need :)

Make sure you fill out your company profile right as it will have a big affect on your local search results if you choose hook up google plus local listings which you will almost certainly want to do.

Keep your personal page up to date as well and link it up properly with your website and your company page **important for authorship especially if you plan on creating content**

Shoot me a PM if your having trouble navigating the site which will probably slow you down a fair bit shoot me a pm and we can skype screen share and in a few minutes you will be right.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Joining Google + is not going to improve your SE rankings.

InternetPhenomenon.com
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Yes there is a way to link your website to your google+ business page (i’m sorry it was so long ago when I did it that I can’t remember the exact steps)
    The one thig I know you need to do is put a link on your website to your G+ business page.
    Once google pick this up they will add a “+1” button to your search results listing… also when this link is active you can also type in ‘+’ followed by your business name
    and it will lead direct to your G+ page (try typing in “+guy kawazaki” to see an example of this.

Sorting all of this out will also tie in any adwords campaigns and add a +1 button.
    Supposedly the more +1’s you get the more it will help your rankings. Not sure whether this is in action right now or just a future google plan but it’s fairly clear from google direction that +1’s authorship and thier obsession with “authority” are going to strongly feature as part of their search algorythms very shortly.

Well done for moving on this now rather than using the waiting and seeing approach which most businesses take.
    Right now G+ is a great way to connect since people are still very responsive on there.
    Not to mention all the cool tools that you can use to grow your business…

I made this free training video series on using google’s free tools for making money online…

http://members.internetphenomenon.com/g-fast-start-business-strategy/

[note: there is a signup but there is not cost at all – there is no product – there’s no sell at all – I made the series of training videos just to add value for a seminar that we ran – this was just a way to help the people in our online community…]

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 173883 wrote:
    Joining Google + is not going to improve your SE rankings.

Hi John, this is an important point. Do you think there are some circumstances where G+ can help your search results? There is obviously some confusion here, and it would be great to get your opinion on this specific belief that people have about G+.

Dave

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 174390 wrote:
    Hi John, this is an important point. Do you think there are some circumstances where G+ can help your search results? There is obviously some confusion here, and it would be great to get your opinion on this specific belief that people have about G+.

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    Google’s Matt Cutts has said as recently as Jun 13 that G does NOT use G+ in its ranking algorithm.

Helping your search results is a different question. If your G+ friends are searching for your website, it will be elevated in the results.

Currently, the likelihood of your friends and you being hooked into G+ is rather remote and the chance of this being beneficial to most websites is probably unlikely, IMHO.

This could change but if G started giving preferencial ranking treatment to G+ subscribers it seems to me that they would risk infringing world-wide anti-monopoly laws.

G has huge legal problems on its plate with anti-monopoly laws. I suspect they would run a mile from this issue.

Just MHO,
    Regs,
    JohnW

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 174390 wrote:
    Hi John, this is an important point. Do you think there are some circumstances where G+ can help your search results?

Which John are you talking to? lol

JamesNorquay
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Google+ is worthwhile for every one in my eyes, yeah it is a bit confusing at first yet once you get the hang of it, it is very good.

How can it help SE Ranks?

– At the moment it is limited from that point of view, key areas their may be some correlation are:

* When some one +1s your url content.
    * When something is re shared by a high level, same with high level of +1s I have see correlation in ranks.
    * Sharing related links via Google+ link building on communities ect also can work in part you just need to be smart and non spammy about it, help users on communities which are related to your own.
    * All the other basics such as profile set up for links/ author bio ect all are worth while.

In the end of the day Google+ is not going to do a MILE for your SEO yet it may help with 5-10% of the total 100% you need to do well.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

The problem that most people have is having the entirely wrong mindset.

Should I shoot videos, will that help me rank in GOOGLE?
    Should I do podcasts, will that help me rank in GOOGLE?
    Should I join Google +, will that help me rank in GOOGLE?

and so on and so on……

The end destination always ends in Google!

I say this all the time, external properties should be leveraged as individual entities – based upon their own ability to drive traffic to your site.

Use all of them, find out which ones are working, and spend more of your time working on those.

Small business owners are going to continue to waste time, get burnt, and be completely disappointed with constantly chasing just “Google” unless they have a shift in approach.

John Romaine
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.