Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Google’s Zero Moment of Truth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ::

Hi all

This is a free ebook from Google.

http://www.zeromomentoftruth.com/

Its a really good read.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
    Brad

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Brad,
    We are now in the very early stage of a marketing communication revolution that is bigger than anything I’ve ever observed. And I don’t make that claim lightly.

Next year I will have been a qualified marketer for 40 years and I’ve been an Internet marketer for 17 of them.

Every one of the 40,000 members of Flying Solo should address the issues you raise and why not start with the link you give.

OK, it’s a Google self promo piece. Aspects are over hyped like crazy but the guts of reality are still there. (Wish there was more from Dave Reibstein.)

Ever since the start of the web, most money spent on it has been wasted. How many $billions is that?

With todays Internet, we have far more ways to waste money than ever before. (How many SEO experts, ad management consultants or social media experts actually deliver real results?)

With all these difficulties, business owners MUST come to grips with the mobile Internet as a communication medium.

If they don’t, many will decline or go bankrupt.

Regs,
    JohnW

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    JohnW, post: 88108 wrote:
    With all these difficulties, business owners MUST come to grips with the mobile Internet as a communication medium.

I agree with John.

If you are using WordPress for your website CMS, there are a number of plugins that you can install to create a mobile version of your site. Even with one of these installed you may still need to create a version that is just the stripped down basics and designed specifically for the small screen.

Probably not a bad thing, as it makes you really focus on what’s important with your site – branding, the value proposition and a call to action.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Very interesting read.

Thanks for posting – it certainly feels like a kind of revolution is happening in the way we purchase now and it’s immediately obvious which websites and businesses are being left behind.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hey Tony

Good point about “mobilising” (hah! a pun) a WordPress site with plugins, and an even better one about designing one that is targetted to mobile devices exclusively.

The nice thing about WordPress is that content is stored in the database table “wp_posts”, so if you added some PHP code inside a HTML5 app (with geolocation capabilites! :) to extract that content exclusively for mobile devices, and throw in some “canvas” magic, imagine the experience you could deliver to a mobile shopper!

Note to self: switch brain off now.

JohnW
    Up

I recently had occasion to research the Google usage by Australians of “Pizza Hut” in search phrases.

Of the 15 most frequently used, 17% were made on mobile devices last month.

Expect that to grow to around 30% over the next 6 months.

Regs,
    JohnW

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Enjoyed the link, still taking it in.

Have thought for a long while that accessibility by mobile devices is fast becoming critical to site design.

I’ve been experimenting on and off for a while with Less Framework and have just come back to it for a site I’m building for a client and I believe this kind of responsive web design offers a cheaper solution than building two site versions, especially for the small player on a tight budget.

Be interested to know what others think about this design approach, wouldn’t mind an enquiry from a visual designer that was prepared to come to grips with this approach for a couple of sites I’d like to build.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I use the WPTouch Pro plugin to create my mobile site, plus I created separate pages so that people can email me etc. Very easy to do, shocked at how many businesses currently don’t bother!

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Bridie, do you track your visits and enquiries from mobiles? I know we talked about visits a while ago, is the % going up? What about leads? What sort of % of leads are coming from mobiles?

I haven’t read the link posted here but I think sometimes people read a bit too much into the hype, particularly for business to business type companies. Fair enough if I want pizza I might use a mobile but if I want a lawyer? A web designer?

I don’t have one, im still only getting a very minor % of visitors from mobiles. Im building a site at the moment for a successful iPhone app developer in the US and they don’t want a mobile version.

I think you’d be crazy to build a site that doesn’t work on a mobile but does every business need a specific mobile theme? Im not so sure but I’d definitely be interested in hearing from B2B companies who are getting significant number of enquiries from mobile devices.

JohnW
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 88267 wrote:
    I think you’d be crazy to build a site that doesn’t work on a mobile but does every business need a specific mobile theme? Im not so sure but I’d definitely be interested in hearing from B2B companies who are getting significant number of enquiries from mobile devices.
    Not every business will want a mobile website.

A few that will find them essential if they want to grow their businesses will include:

Retail, fast food, entertainment, travel & accommodation, tradesmen, B2B, offline media, government, manufacturers, banks and insurance.

Any bricks and mortar location that wants their customers to be able to find them easily.

And any business that wants potential customers to phone them when the customer is out of their office or home.

If you think mobile websites is about creating resized versions of web pages you are probably again heading towards the money wasting end of the spectrum.

Regs,
    JohnW

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

I agree with Dan on the conversion aspect, there is a massive leap in using mobile platforms to browse the net but from what I’m seeing through analytics, the conversion rates are quite low, specially for online retail, for example the following site has a -50% conversion rate on mobile traffic compared to site average. I think the issue is users are still a bit hesitant to type in their credit card details into a mobile phone, however there’s a bit of hope in mobile pads/tabs, if you have a closer look you’ll see ipad doing much better than some other mainstream mobile devices. End of the day it all comes down to convenience, having a mobile device connected to the internet doesn’t always mean it’s convenient, maybe it’s more convenient to shop on a desktop, with big enough screen and a full keyboard :) I know I do.

stat.png

JohnW
    Up
    Samith, post: 88314 wrote:
    End of the day it all comes down to convenience, having a mobile device connected to the internet doesn’t always mean it’s convenient, maybe it’s more convenient to shop on a desktop, with big enough screen and a full keyboard :) I know I do.
    Hi Samith,
    Thanks for the example and I agree with your comments – particularly about convenience.

Would these be the numbers for people accessing a shopping cart designed for viewing or use on a desk/lap top?

If so, I think you have given us good examples of:
    1. Why web pages for mobiles often need to be very different to desk top pages
    2. Mobile web pages usually have different communication functions

The processes of online shopping will need to change for the ordering function to suit the small mobile screen.

Online shops may be using mobile pages for couponing or discounts to promote their sites rather than attempting to make a shopping cart that is user-friendly on small screen.

Example of what people do on their smartphone:

A cemetery website is already receiving 500+ accesses by mobile devices per month. They are most frequently viewing:
    1. Directions how to get there
    2. Time and location of services.

You can bet that many of these visitors are accessing this site on the way to a funeral. If they are, then their next step could be to switch to their phone’s GPS function to have it speak directions to them.

Convenience!

Regs,
    JohnW

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments, to answer your question,

“Would these be the numbers for people accessing a shopping cart designed for viewing or use on a desk/lap top?”

No.

The sample is from a local online retail business that switches between 8 different formats to fit to the device you are browsing on. They started looking at mobile traffic about four years ago, before I got involved with them, and the current site is about the 11th version in four years. We keep improving the platform to improve conversions, and go through all kinds of usability tests cos even improving the conversion rate by .5% means a massive revenue increase for them.

Best Regards,
    Samith

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    JohnW, post: 88303 wrote:
    If you think mobile websites is about creating resized versions of web pages you are probably again heading towards the money wasting end of the spectrum.

Regs,
    JohnW

I think this is a given, you’d just finish up with a mess but a lot of sites just have too much going on anyway, for a small business (like a location based service) that perhaps is only looking for a basic static site, using a considered approach to visual design and copy can still keep it accessible to mobile devices.

I haven’t done the research some have obviously done but I do know I’m getting increasing traffic from mobile devices and I also know some of it is converting to sales.

Again I don’t have the stats but I feel people who are online a lot, say in their work and continually have access to larger screens use the web very differently to the masses, a lot of my day is dealing with people who only go online under sufferance because they need something and the first place they search is on their phone, they may then go to a laptop later to follow up but often don’t bother.

I think the Iphone App developer not wanting a mobile site possibly affirms what I’m on about, most people wanting an App developer are going be comfortable with working and researching online and have constant access to larger screens.

JohnW
    Up

Hi Samith,
    Smartphones are not currently a good vehicle if you need large graphics, lots of words or a keyboard. (Two out of three strikes against shopping carts.)

We have advanced all the way forward to 1964 and Marshall McLuhan’s, “the medium is the message” rides again.

JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.