Home – New Forums Tech talk Got the .com now what?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up
    ::
    GregW, post: 100887 wrote:
    Yeh I did think of this intially, however wouldnt it be better if .com.au already establised and at this stage only targeting australians only be better to retain .com.au as “primary site”

I could be wrong, but from googles view, I am going to get a hell of a lot more eyes on my site from my target audience by retaining .com.au as primary through organic australian searches and key words. no?

I think for know I just want to understand the different type of redirections and why you would do them?

Cheers
    Greg

I think you will only be in Australia then make .com.au your primary one – and redirect .com – Because like you said you will get some advantange in Google’s eyes – Though I am not entirely sure if this advantage will be significant – Would love to hear what other members in the SEO say about this…

If you do have any plans of rolling out globally then I would stick with .com as my primary – Moving from .com.au to .com might affect your rankings…

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up
    GregW, post: 100887 wrote:
    Yeh I did think of this intially, however wouldnt it be better if .com.au already establised and at this stage only targeting australians only be better to retain .com.au as “primary site”

I could be wrong, but from googles view, I am going to get a hell of a lot more eyes on my site from my target audience by retaining .com.au as primary through organic australian searches and key words. no?

I think for know I just want to understand the different type of redirections and why you would do them?

Cheers
    Greg

I think you will only be in Australia then make .com.au your primary one – and redirect .com – Because like you said you will get some advantange in Google’s eyes – Though I am not entirely sure if this advantage will be significant – Would love to hear what other members in the SEO say about this…

If you do have any plans of rolling out globally then I would stick with .com as my primary – Moving from .com.au to .com might affect your rankings…

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

you purchase from your domain provider a redirection package which is less than $20 per year in most cases. That then points your .com to your .com.au so that if anyone searches on either one it will go to the one set of pages.

Many web hosts have a feature that allows you do do this within cpanel – no cost.

Otherwise just do the command in a .htaccess file.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

you purchase from your domain provider a redirection package which is less than $20 per year in most cases. That then points your .com to your .com.au so that if anyone searches on either one it will go to the one set of pages.

Many web hosts have a feature that allows you do do this within cpanel – no cost.

Otherwise just do the command in a .htaccess file.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Greg,
    I think you are getting a bunch of misinformation with some replies to this post.

Redirecting between domain names is a set-up function on the hosting web server. It has NOTHING to do with SE ranking and referrals.

The redirect command is essentially saying, “if you were looking for a file at this location, go get it here (another server location)”.

SEs “read” web page files. If they go to an address that redirects to another location, they only find a file at the redirected location.

That means there is nothing for them to “read” and index in the search results from the site that issues the “redirect” command. A domain that issues an automatic redirect command will NEVER appear in search results because it does not exist to a SE.

If you are targeting Australians, go with the com.au version.

If you want to target the USA go .com and replicate your pages but make sure you tell Google Webmaster’s Tools that you are targeting the USA with this duplicated content.
    Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    Up

Hi Greg,
    I think you are getting a bunch of misinformation with some replies to this post.

Redirecting between domain names is a set-up function on the hosting web server. It has NOTHING to do with SE ranking and referrals.

The redirect command is essentially saying, “if you were looking for a file at this location, go get it here (another server location)”.

SEs “read” web page files. If they go to an address that redirects to another location, they only find a file at the redirected location.

That means there is nothing for them to “read” and index in the search results from the site that issues the “redirect” command. A domain that issues an automatic redirect command will NEVER appear in search results because it does not exist to a SE.

If you want to target the USA go .com and replicate your pages but make sure you tell Google Webmaster’s Tools that you are targeting the USA with this duplicated content.
    Regs,
    JohnW

wizseoservicesaustralia
    • Total posts: 59
    Up

Then use 301 redirect to your .com.au domain. It is best solution for you.

wizseoservicesaustralia
    • Total posts: 59
    Up

Then use 301 redirect to your .com.au domain. It is best solution for you.

Greg W
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    JohnW, post: 100931 wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Regs,
    JohnW

Hey John,

Thanks for your detailed response, it is appearing more clear for me. Just a couple more question I have on this is

What do se’s do when ( I think its called masking?) when a user can type either .com or .com.au in browser but both point to one site?

And,

If you simply redirect the domain to .com.au can easily just stop the redirection and set up the .com site at a much later stage but set it up as its own site specifically targeting the US as you mentioned. ( SE’s would then treat the new .com site and have to build links and ranking from scratch, correct?)

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
    Greg

Greg W
    Up
    JohnW, post: 100931 wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Regs,
    JohnW

Hey John,

Thanks for your detailed response, it is appearing more clear for me. Just a couple more question I have on this is

What do se’s do when ( I think its called masking?) when a user can type either .com or .com.au in browser but both point to one site?

And,

If you simply redirect the domain to .com.au can easily just stop the redirection and set up the .com site at a much later stage but set it up as its own site specifically targeting the US as you mentioned. ( SE’s would then treat the new .com site and have to build links and ranking from scratch, correct?)

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
    Greg

JohnW
    Up

Hi Greg,
    Were you maybe thinking of the term “cloaking”?

Cloaking is a major “no-no” that can get your site kicked out of a SE. It is different to redirecting. Cloaking is where you show a SE one page at a specific address but display another one to the people who go to the page.

You will not get into trouble with the SEs if you set up a permanent redirect from (eg) .com to .com.au.

If you want to set up a site at .com, all you need to do is cancel the redirect and publish the files at the .com domain.

If there were any external links to .com, they would then allocate their “link juice” to the .com domain and it would no longer be passed through to the .com.au domain.

Does this answer your questions?

Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    Up

Hi Greg,

Cloaking is a major “no-no” that can get your site kicked out of a SE. It is different to redirecting. Cloaking is where you show a SE one page at a specific address but display another one to the people who go to the page.

You will not get into trouble with the SEs if you set up a permanent redirect from (eg) .com to .com.au.

If you want to set up a site at .com, all you need to do is cancel the redirect and publish the files at the .com domain.

If there were any external links to .com, they would then allocate their “link juice” to the .com domain and it would no longer be passed through to the .com.au domain.

Regs,
    JohnW

Greg W
    Up
    JohnW, post: 100985 wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Regs,
    JohnW

Yep, I get it now, and definitely won’t be doing anything that will harm my brand. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me.

Cheers
    Greg

Greg W
    Up
    JohnW, post: 100985 wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Regs,
    JohnW

Yep, I get it now, and definitely won’t be doing anything that will harm my brand. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me.

Cheers
    Greg

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.