Home Forums Other discussions Government Grant Scam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963

Hi all,

I just received a call from a scammer (was clearly from overseas.. there was that large gap when I answered, followed by an foreign (Indian?) accent which sounded like it came from the bottom of a barrel) advising the Federal Government was issuing a grant to me for $4,500 because I had paid my taxes on time and had never incurred a fine.

I was given a QLD number for verification, but some quick research indeed confirmed my suspicions that this was nothing but a scam.

You can find more information here:
    http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/department/media/2010/d4_2010.aspx

Honestly, do they think we’d believe the government would be handing cash out to people without massive news coverage and media releases telling us how wonderful they are?

Paul Cunningham
    • Total posts: 69

I came across a scam recently where someone was contacting people who were advertising rental accomodation. They offered to rent the properties but asked that they pay for it with cheques issued by the ATO! The cheque arrives but for an amount in excess of the rental payment. The scammer then asks that the recipeint cash the cheque, keeping their amount and sending the balance of funds back to the scammer. Apparently some people actually did this and its estimated that about $100,000 in fake Reserve bank cheques have been cashed as part of this scam.

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265

Advance-Fee fraud, it’s one of the more common, and older, scams floating around.

If it sounds too good to be true… check snopes.com!

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,073
    Paul Cunningham, post: 52690 wrote:
    Apparently some people actually did this and its estimated that about $100,000 in fake Reserve bank cheques have been cashed as part of this scam.

I don’t get it, if you cash the cheque, what happens? I assume they somehow use it to get your money or something>?

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265

It takes a few days for the cheque to clear. In the meantime, you’ve sent them your own real money – and it’s unrecoverable.

By the time the cheque fails to clear, you’re out whatever you’ve sent them and they’ve disappeared.

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660

There’s an article from our Government feed that explores this further: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/government/news-and-features/online-tax-scams-and-fraud

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563

Every single weekday, for about 3 years – I’ve been getting a call around 6pm asking me to “press 9” in an Americal accent. I changed my phone number a couple of years ago, but it didn’t take long to start getting the same call on the new number.

BTW “Do not call register” reduces the telemarketing calls, but has no effect on the scammers.

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563

ps – I find it really frustrating that people are still falling for scams. There was a guy in the post office trying to pay an “account” over the counter of $200, in order to receive “winnings” of $3500. He seemed like a capable, intelligent person – what was he thinking? Luckily for him there was a problem with the scammer’s bpay code and they couldn’t process the payment. The PO lady rang the number on the account, asked who she was speaking to and they hung up on her.

jaycar
    • Total posts: 46

Anything or anyone who asks for money before you get your winnings or whatever, it is definitely a scam. I sit here in the office all day just about everyday and I get at least 10 telemarketing calls from India telling me I have won this or that. What a load of $#@%. I must be one of the luckiest people in the world winning 10 times a day…..every day… :-)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815

I had so many telemarketing and spam phone calls, particularly in home family time, that Telstra monitored my phone for over a month. They discovered that there were four major call centres from overseas diverting through an 03 number in Melbourne. They don’t take no for an answer from us poor ordinary people, but Telstra followed through to put blocks on them. Apparently they work with all the phone providers to follow through. Unfortunately, the callers will then try going through another number in which case I will have to go through that process again. But it’s better than the constant calls.

FYI a call centre person who has a private or blocked number is illegal. A call centre has to have a genuine number showing that you can call back and check their details.

I saw a rerun of Seinfeld where a telemarketer calls and Jerry asks for the caller’s number as it’s inconvenient. On hearing that they don’t give out their phone number Jerry says, ‘so you don’t like people calling in home time either? Now you know how I feel.’ or something very similar.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963

On my home phone I let calls go through to my answering machine where my message informs people that I am screening my calls, and if they are a telemarketer to hang up now and remove my number from their database.

If I do happen to pick it up and it’s a telemarketer, I simply state I’m not interested and hang up. My fiance was horrified at this – he’ll sit on the phone for ages debating why he’s not interested. Frankly, I’ve got better things to do with my time!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.