Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Grammar… It’s a big deal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    ::
    Couple It, post: 89644 wrote:
    its coz u have 2 much txt on fones n no1 can spell n e more

ty have a gr8 day lol

Wendy :)

I actually had to read this twice to figure out what it said :) Think it captures the point, and possible problem, perfectly.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 89683 wrote:
    I actually had to read this twice to figure out what it said :) Think it captures the point, and possible problem, perfectly.

Yes, I agree with Jacqui.

Those who dismiss the idea that good grammar is important miss a crucial point. It has developed over time to communicate accurate information. If one struggles to comprehend a sentence then the communication has failed. And that, in business, is deadly.

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up
    JaneB, post: 89702 wrote:
    Yes, I agree with Jacqui.

Those who dismiss the idea that good grammar is important miss a crucial point. It has developed over time to communicate accurate information. If one struggles to comprehend a sentence then the communication has failed. And that, in business, is deadly.

If your smart enough to use correct grammar

then you should be smart enough to read a sentence with grammar errors and know what they are talking about.

gees the USA had a president that couldn’t even speak well, he was the boss of the country, sure a bit of a loser but he got there

you don’t need grammar or good spelling, you just need an open mind so stop your pettiness

TH15 M3554G3 53RV35 TO PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG TH1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 TH1NG5! 1N TH3 B3G1NN1NG 1T WA5 H4RD BUT NOW, ON TH15 LIN3 YOUR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 1T 4UT0M4T1C4LLY W1TH OUT 3V3N TH1NK1NG 4B0UT 1T, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C34RT41N P30PL3 C4N R3AD TH15.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

And for my 2 cents i’m throwing in my pet peeve, the misuse of ‘of’

i.e. “I should of gone to the pub where I could of had a beer”

No no no, it should be:

“I should have gone to the pub where I could have had a beer”

or even

“I should’ve gone to the pub where I could’ve had a beer”

lol

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    The Infotainer, post: 89706 wrote:
    If your smart enough to use correct grammar

then you should be smart enough to read a sentence with grammar errors and know what they are talking about.

I dunno… I once had a highly paid supervisor who’s emails were utterly unintelligible! More often than not I would have to call to clarify exactly what she meant because I couldn’t make heads nor tails from the gibberish (and if I had to hear once more what she was “pacifically” referring to…!!!!).

As far as the US president (which I’m assuming is “Dubya”), while I loved watching those gaffes on the 6pm news, I can’t say those speeches instilled with much confidence. It might not be fair, but when you hold one of the most powerful positions in the world, you don’t want to sound like a dill.

Again, it comes down to context – if he were a small business operator, it shouldn’t be too big of a deal, but there are certain jobs which require communication skills to be CRYSTAL CLEAR. That’s why these people get paid the big bucks.

Obviously it’s harder for small/solo operators if writing isn’t their forte, but when it comes to professional image, surely it’s worth taking a little extra time to get things right? It’s easy to forgive the odd typo, but when all communication is rife with typos, poor grammar and awkward composition, unfortunately it does reflect badly on the author.

Aidan wrote:
    “I should’ve gone to the pub where I could’ve had a beer”
    And when you read that aloud, how does it sound? “I should of gone to the pub where I could of had a beer”. No wonder people get it wrong ;)
    Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

There are many, many errors within this thread. :)

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    Keeta, post: 89761 wrote:
    There are many, many errors within this thread. :)

:D ….which immediately sends us scrambling back to our posts to count the mistakes!

MrRetail
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

grammer thees dayz is attroshus. I downt knoe if its becorze of all the socshal meedia and that everone is now abreeviateeng the spelleeng but i must admeet it is reelly bad.

Personally, I find it appalling and lazy. Any proposals, resumes that come in and are poorly written, are immediately thrown in the bin.

If a person cannot be bothered to check their own spelling and grammar what hope are they, not to do it in material requested and paid by clients.

The incorrect use of to and too, your and you’re, there and their is enough to make me take up drinking!

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

The mistakes continue!

I’m not perfect, but I’m not the one complaining! Soon, I shall steal The Copy Chick’s special red pen, and edit some of these posts myself.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Two grammatical errors that really grind my gears are when people use than instead of then and lead instead of led.

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

1 thing that does tick me off

is when you post information on a forum, and somebody by-passes the actual info and comments on the mistakes, essentially going off topic

I try and help people (unless I am in one of my depressed modes) and if someone mentions a mistake without having something to say about the topic- that just ticks me off.

yes, going off topic to comment on bad grammar, is not a good thing.

Obviously if someone doesn’t put a comma here and uses the wrong there or their so be it- move on, but if the entire forum post is the phone text message abbreviation style lol crap then yes I agree. I am not educated but I am trying- doing the abbreviation style text messaging (especially when you have a keyboard in front of you) is just lazy IMOP :)

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Keeta, post: 89772 wrote:
    The mistakes continue!

I’m not perfect, but I’m not the one complaining! Soon, I shall steal The Copy Chick’s special red pen, and edit some of these posts myself.

Psst… just promise you don’t look too closely at mine! ;)

(I’d be lost without that “edit” button)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Since this thread began, I have realised another one – that I am constantly guilty of! Affective v Effective – gets me almost every time :)

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I’ve been trying not to weigh in on this thread. My friends know me as the go-to person for proofing copy. I won’t tell you how many times I’v reworded and retyped these few lines to make sure everything is absolutely perfect!

I share typos on Facebook and Twitter in order to educate…amuse and educate. There’s no point in just educating if you’re not going to amuse people as it gives them something to remember it by.

I do try not to pick on people in forums and other social media, but if it’s on their website I am likely to let them know they have problems and offer them help or send them to Bridie or someone else who does it professionally. Occasionally I stuff up.

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Seeing grammatical errors in other people’s work doesn’t bother me too much. On the other hand, it drives me nuts when I re-read one of my own emails and find a grammatical error!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.