Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Graphic Design business – idGee Designs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Idgee designs
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Just thought I would introduce my business. We have a freelance graphic design business called “idGee Designs” which stands for individualised and edgy graphic designs. Our url is http://www.idgee.com.au which is still being developed. I’ve been growing it slowly for 2 years now and we are just updating the website.

We run small competitions on Facebook to also generate interest however we feel that sometimes these don’t work or maybe we are not targeting the audience we need. Our latest one is a free 8gb USB flash drive and we ask 1 question for people to enter, We thought by finding out what design service people use, we may have more insight into our fb fans and how our business could work for them. The competition is at. http://basicfrontm.easypromosapp.com/promotions/72623

I am also going to try a letterbox flyer drop and might consider advertising in the yellow pages. Has anyone had any luck with that?

Any recommendations? I find with my type of business, people need to trust you before they use the service, so most of the business is word of mouth.

Cheers,
    Lee Mawdsley
    idGee Designs

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll find all the answers you’re looking for around here.

Cheers
    Daniel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Lee, and welcome to Flying Solo :)

I hope you pick up some great ideas around here to help you grow your business.

All the best,
    Jayne

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Lee

Welcome, apologies for my braintree not offering input on your requests, although i am sure you will be able to find an abundance of info in here.

Look forward to seeing you around.
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    michnichols
    • Total posts: 236
    Up

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum.

I totally understand where you are coming from, although I haven’t tried competitions yet. I agree,

people need to trust you before they use the service, so most of the business is word of mouth

The challenge is building the client base to gain the referrals. My strategy is to establish relationships, which means networking, but not in the sense of finding clients. It is about connecting and building relationships, getting to know one another, liking each other and building trust. I have found more clients this way, than any other method. It is slow and doesn’t happen overnight.

I have only paid for advertising in a local community newsletter, apart from targeted Facebook advertising, which gained likes but not clients.

It will be good to see contributions to this thread.

Michelle

Wallscapes
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Lee and welcome,

I did my bachelor in graphic design many many moons ago and moved into the large format and sign industry a few years after. The designer in me has always been there and served me well in the signage industry especially creating individual and edgy signage so I know exactly where you are coming from in terms of the image you want to get across.

My advice is to create some packages if you havent already. Something a new small business owner can look at and choose right up front. Maybe a logo design, busness card, letterhead, and tshirt design pack to adding website, flyers and brochures. Obviously look at covering things like 3 full logos to choose from and 3 consultations for revisions maybe. Then price the packages. Sit down and really work out the nuts and bolts of each package deal you want to offer.

Now when I as a small business owner starting up comes to your website I am instantly seeing what packages you have on offer and how much it is roughly going to cost me.

I find spending too much individual time on potential clients that may or may not use your service can really add up. Not only that it can get overwhelming for them especially when they have a million other things to worry about. Sure things like logo and branding are essential but take the brunt of the work out of the equation and you may find clients just calling up and saying id like to order your idgee full service package for 3999.00. Done and done.

Cheers
    Dylan

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Hi Lee,

As someone who is firmly in the middle of the “startup phase” I would have to completely agree with Dylan’s advice as this is precisely what I did – go to a bunch of different designer’s pages, look at the packages they offered (including price), look at their previous work, then made a decision from there.

Cheers
    Daniel

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi Lee,

Firstly, I really like the slick, professional design of your website. It looks great.

I agree with Dylan & Dan – offering fixed-price packages and making it easy for small businesses is a great idea. Particularly as a mostly online business, I also think it’s essential to make your prices available on your website, so I’m glad to see this feature in your menu bar. In the online world, few people wait on quotes, unless the job really requires it (ie, customised services).

If you’re keeping your Facebook profile fresh with regular posts, I’ve found that the targeted ads can be effective. The targeting options include a ‘small business owners’, which might suit your target market. Competitions can be great market research, but for the ads, I’d be inclined to offer discounts or sweeteners to those who like your page. As Michelle mentioned, Likes are not necessarily clients, though, so it’s important to keep them interested with regular posts. It might also pay to spend time optimising your ads to make them as effective and cheap as possible.

I’ve heard very mixed reports around letterbox drops, and suspect it depends very much on the your target market and the value of each new customer to your business. Given the nature of your service, I’d recommend giving it a shot and tracking your results. For the cost, you wouldn’t need a particularly high conversion rate to make it cost-effective.

Best of luck,

Al.

Idgee designs
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the replies. I have saved them all and will review some of the current marketing options I have. I really like the package idea and will incorporate that into my price list online. I still have a lot of work to do with the website, so will finish that first before I consider any more advertising.

I think with referral being the best option, I will need to develop a strategy that targets my market that way.

Thanks again
    Lee Mawdsley
    idGee Designs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.