Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Grass roots marketing.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leave it to Willy.
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

I only started my business 7 months ago and had a very limited budget for advertising. So I was left with the problem of how to get my name out to people. Now if you are just starting out maybe this will help you. This is what I did:

– I put up flyers on the local noticeboards.
    – I put up flyers at local business’ like service stations, video shops, take away shops etc.
    – I did mail drops.
    All this was achieved by using my home computer for a minimal cost. This launched the business and paved the way for more expensive advertising.
    Also use things like Facebook to create fan pages and groups that allow you to write comments about your business & search for new employees.
    So that’s what I did at the start. What did everyone do?

Leave it to Willy.
    Up

Hi,
    On my last post I forgot to mention about setting up a website. On my investigations & research I found that this portion of a business can be very expensive. However I found a company on the net that allows you to set up an exceptional website with your budget starting at $0. A basic package through this company will cost about $20 per month but that isn’t that much when you compare with other companies. I’m currently using them and I’m very pleased with the ease of editing the site. For anyone that hasn’t got website and hasn’t got a huge budget for one then this is well worth having a look at http://www.webs.com

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Brad,

I hope I’m not being too harsh by saying this – but you would honestly be better off WITHOUT a website!

Not only does your website fail to portray your message, it’s poorly designed (not that you have power over that), and extremely un-professional. The google ads, page counter, and “Create a Free Website…” at the bottom means this system is not suitable for a business.

I completely appreciate not being able to afford a big budget website, but as with any business decisions you need to ask yourself what it’s REALLY worth to you.

A website, done properly, is going to be a big asset for your business. You think you’ve been busy in your first 7 months? Wait until you have a powerful web presence behind you!

Again, I hope I haven’t offended. But I cannot let you recommend this system as a “great way” for a business to kick start your online presence. Forget the website and create a Facebook fan page, it will do you more justice and is still free.

Cheers,
    Chris

VideoTraining
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Out of interest, how successful was the notice board, mail drop and local shops strategy?

Did you see much benefit from it?

Kind regards

Tony Morris
    http://www.DVDcoach.com
    Online Computer Training Made Easy

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Tony,

When I started my tech support business, I did some letter box drops. I did one run of about 300 flyers that me and my wife walked around delivering. I also did a run of 5000 flyers via letter box distributors (cost me $600+ all up).

I got a MUCH better return by doing it myself. In fact, I got 0 calls from the 5000 flyer run because it was lost amongst other flyers/brochures/catalouges. Whereas delivering the 300 flyers myself I got 4-5 jobs from it. People saw it, and stuck it on their fridge.

VideoTraining
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Thanks for the tip Chris.

I am about to cross that bridge in the bext couple of weeks, so we will see how we go.

KInd regards

Tony Morris

Leave it to Willy.
    Up
    DVDcoach, post: 25518 wrote:
    Out of interest, how successful was the notice board, mail drop and local shops strategy?

Did you see much benefit from it?

Kind regards

Tony Morris

Hi Tony.

The flyers that I put up on the notice board were sucessful resulting in 3-4 jobs a week. The mail drops were more hit & miss. I would recieve 3 – 4 phone calls per 100 with 1-2 jobs out of 100 flyers. The flyers at the local shops did ok. Maybe 1 or 2 jobs every couple of weeks. As a business owner any work that comes out of advertising is worth it especially if it’s a return customer.
    I’m about to distribute 6500 flyers so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Leave it to Willy.
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 25517 wrote:
    Brad,

I hope I’m not being too harsh by saying this – but you would honestly be better off WITHOUT a website!

Not only does your website fail to portray your message, it’s poorly designed (not that you have power over that), and extremely un-professional. The google ads, page counter, and “Create a Free Website…” at the bottom means this system is not suitable for a business.

I completely appreciate not being able to afford a big budget website, but as with any business decisions you need to ask yourself what it’s REALLY worth to you.

A website, done properly, is going to be a big asset for your business. You think you’ve been busy in your first 7 months? Wait until you have a powerful web presence behind you!

Again, I hope I haven’t offended. But I cannot let you recommend this system as a “great way” for a business to kick start your online presence. Forget the website and create a Facebook fan page, it will do you more justice and is still free.

Cheers,
    Chris

Hi Chris,

No offence taken and in fact appreciate the openess. That’s what forums are for. The website costs me nothing but time, so for now I’ll keep it going. You are right about the Facebook page and even the use of the Market Place on Facebook. As a result of placing an add on the market place I have just picked up another lawn mowing company, it’s equipment & clients. Growth, Growth & Growth is what it’s all about.

Leave it to Willy.
    Up
    DVDcoach, post: 25522 wrote:
    Thanks for the tip Chris.

I am about to cross that bridge in the bext couple of weeks, so we will see how we go.

KInd regards

Tony Morris

Tony when you get your flyers made up approach some of the community groups. In my area they deliver the flyers and don’t expect a fortune for doing so. You’ll end up helping the disabled people in your community as well as getting your business out there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.