Home – New Forums Tech talk Great article with Actionable SEO Tips to increase traffic!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JamesNorquay
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

Good article on SEOmoz about increasing traffic for an Australian start up.

http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/increasing-organic-seo-traffic-by-400000-unique-visitors-a-month

this contains some decent tips I am sure members of Flying Solo will be able to implement to increase traffic.

CarlieHamilton
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Thanks James, I’ve added it to my “to read” list :)

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

James,
    I read it and have taken some of the tips on board.
    Thanks again for the insight.

Ade2
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Great find.

This link would be provide a suitable intro to the post you provided

http://moz.com/blog/how-to-rank

tomwhite
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Great article James

I agree with your point about guest posts and not liking sites which are essentially guest post factories – with everyone jumping on the guest post bandwagon, its an obvious target. Better to spend time going for the higher hanging fruit.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

With the greatest respect, this is a small business website.

I am fielding a growing number of enquiries from people who are being touted the need to explore the impact of Penguin on their website and are being quoted thousands of dollars to explore and remove “bad” links.

This seems to be one of the latest SEO scams.

Please do not take this as any criticism of your services. I know this is not what you are trying to promote.

I wonder how many of FS’s 50k+ members are likely to encounter a Google penalty that requires the link analysis and removal action described in your article?

Sorting out small business website problems in this area is usually as simple as:

1. Did they receive a Google notification, (“Google Webmaster Tools has provided a warning or you have had manual action taken by the web spam team”)?

If, “no”, it is unlikely that remedial action will be needed.

2. Secondary check: Look at their Google Analytics program to ensure there has been no collapse in generic SE referrals

3. Tertiary check: How does their site rank to a few search phrases.

If there are limited changes in either of these, no link analysis and removal action is likely to be needed, IMHO.
    Regs,
    JohnW

JamesNorquay
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    JohnW, post: 164714 wrote:
    With the greatest respect, this is a small business website.

I am fielding a growing number of enquiries from people who are being touted the need to explore the impact of Penguin on their website and are being quoted thousands of dollars to explore and remove “bad” links.

This seems to be one of the latest SEO scams.

Please do not take this as any criticism of your services. I know this is not what you are trying to promote.

I wonder how many of FS’s 50k+ members are likely to encounter a Google penalty that requires the link analysis and removal action described in your article?

Sorting out small business website problems in this area is usually as simple as:

1. Did they receive a Google notification, (“Google Webmaster Tools has provided a warning or you have had manual action taken by the web spam team”)?

If, “no”, it is unlikely that remedial action will be needed.

2. Secondary check: Look at their Google Analytics program to ensure there has been no collapse in generic SE referrals

3. Tertiary check: How does their site rank to a few search phrases.

If there are limited changes in either of these, no link analysis and removal action is likely to be needed, IMHO.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Hi John,

Thanks for your comment.

The thing is any one doing SEO in today’s market is going to be faced with link removal projects.

In regards to what a normal link analysis and removal project looks at it would be something along the lines of the following:

1. Work out which update has actually hit the site, plenty of analysis tool are on the market such as – http://www.barracuda-digital.co.uk/panguin-tool/‎
    Most of the time businesses are not aware they are actually hit by a penalty as their are various ranges of penalties from manual to alog based.

2. Complete analysis comparing specific date ranges before and after the updates. Really just looking at a keyword specific analysis is not going to be good enough you need to look at a landing page based analysis.

3. Compiling analysis on the link profile for the client, in most cases you need to look on a per link basis as many of the 3rd party tools do not provided accurate analysis from my testing over the last 2 years.

4. Link removal by reaching out direct to webmasters on scale to remove links.

5. Utilizing the disavow tool to remove the main suspect links.

So yes some additional points for you to think about.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.