Home – New Forums Other discussions Great Wall / Cherry cars recalled because of Asbestos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Their ads have always annoyed me and then this comes about..

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3568645.htm

Bunch of cheap rubbish!!!

Rico
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

So are you angry because of the annoying ads? Or for this union stunt? Or for the price of those cars? Or maybe simply because this is a chinese brand which means that it cannot be good?

This is a low risk issue, and one that can be addressed easily. And the Great Wall vehicles remains an excellent choice for a budget orientated customer or small start up business not looking for the latest fashion in the automotive industry.

PS
    I drive a Toyota and I dislike those ads too, but I still find the OP post an unprovoked direct attack to a business.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    Rico, post: 128239 wrote:
    So are you angry because of the annoying ads? Or for this union stunt? Or for the price of those cars? Or maybe simply because this is a chinese brand which means that it cannot be good?

This is a low risk issue, and one that can be addressed easily. And the Great Wall vehicles remains an excellent choice for a budget orientated customer or small start up business not looking for the latest fashion in the automotive industry.

PS
    I drive a Toyota and I dislike those ads too, but I still find the OP post an unprovoked direct attack to a business.

It seems like I personally offended you by the way you responded or that you have some personal investment in them.

I just cannot stand “cheap” stuff, especially when they try and promote it as being so good.

Obviously the ads aren’t going to go on about “Oh we’re worse than Toyota/Ford etc”, but it just annoys me how they go on about oh “Ben is a bad boy / is in the dog house for spending $35k on a 4WD when you can get a Great Wall for $23,990 or whatever price they are”. So yeah, they are basically comparing themselves to the superior brands and saying you’re stupid if you buy something more expensive; to which I say, no, you’re stupid (or ill-informed) if you buy one of their rubbish 4WD’s.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I haven’t seen the ads. Basically I never watch live TV because ads annoy me so much. I feel that the advertisers and TV networks treat their viewers like imbeciles for the most part – I tape everything to my PVR and skip through all the ads and have done so for several years now.

I find it amusing and interesting that people get so riled up over brands, and usually base their opinions on paid endorsements and marketing rather than on personal experience, and will defend what they consider to be a “local” brand above all others even though those local brands have only the smallest local presence and their quality has declined dramatically due to cost saving measures and off-shoring (that’s not usually managed well). I’m thinking of car manufacturers, textile manufacturers, airlines, etc.

I remember when the Korean car manufacturers started importing cars into Australia and so many people complained of how cheap they were and therefore how they must be “rubbish”. I’ve had the pleasure of driving a couple of these cheap rubbish cars now, and must say they’ve been built to a higher standard and have been much more reliable than anything I’ve driven that was built in Australia in the past 15 years! I had access to a pool of company cars in my last job, and the “Aussie” cars usually fell apart after 6 months of duty.

I haven’t driven one of the Chinese vehicles yet, but I would give them a go if I needed a car in that category and didn’t have much cash. Sure, I wouldn’t expect it to be a luxurious as a vehicle three times it’s price, but if I was a tradie just starting out, and I needed to get my tools to and from my job sites, I know I’d be willing to risk a less than ideal ride in order to be able to pay my rent and earn a living. It’s not like the big Japanese manufacturer of utility vehicles has been upholding it’s reputation for quality lately – see here.

I hope the asbestos issue is cleared up and this Chinese car manufacturer proves to be a reasonable product for the price. I think there’s a need for an affordable option in that category.

Cheers,
    John

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

It’s going to be interesting to see the fall out for the companies involved. I wonder how they’re going to get on with their people in China.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 128255 wrote:
    So yeah, they are basically comparing themselves to the superior brands and saying you’re stupid if you buy something more expensive; to which I say, no, you’re stupid (or ill-informed) if you buy one of their rubbish 4WD’s.Having a bad day? ;)

Why are they rubbish? The price? Or have you driven one? Or spoken with some people that own one? If you do speak to some owners, I would refrain from calling them stupid.

Most people who complain about these cars to me (or on FB) seem to dislike them because they are made in China and they are cheap. Either reason doesn’t make any sense to me. Perhaps all the other car companies are ripping us off?

This review doesn’t make it sound that bad.

Cooke Consulting
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

…Meh….

Same sort of thing happened to Hyundai back in the day, mocked for being rubbish. … now look at them.

Then it was Kia’s turn or ‘Kia Carnage’ as we called them, for being cheap & nasty….now look at them. No longer nasty but some quite stunning little motors. Unfortunately, the name still puts me off.

The Cherry is just another turn in the never ending cog of automotive joy.

They will be pointed at and mocked for some years, then either they will bow out of the Aussie market or pick up their game and deliver some safe, stunning & probably still cheap(ish) motors.

…right time for a cuppa…

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I heard they were a little low on the standards side.
    ANCAP give them a good rap.

Yep good time for a cuppa.

Steve

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

I have a Kia, the service people tell me they’re a good car and I’ve had few problems with it.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I think their marketing is quite good. It would appeal to the people they’d want it to and they’re not claiming to be competitive on anything other than price (and asbestos levels).

Korean cars were rubbish 15 years ago and deserved the reputation they got. They have since turned this around and are now building quality, reliable cars that they can sell for much less than our locally produced cars.

And once upon a time, Japanese cars had a bad reputation too.

PS. It’s interesting how many “European” cars are now built in China and SE Asia.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 128270 wrote:
    Having a bad day? ;)

Why are they rubbish? The price? Or have you driven one? Or spoken with some people that own one? If you do speak to some owners, I would refrain from calling them stupid.

Most people who complain about these cars to me (or on FB) seem to dislike them because they are made in China and they are cheap. Either reason doesn’t make any sense to me. Perhaps all the other car companies are ripping us off?

This review doesn’t make it sound that bad.

No I haven’t driven one, but everything I’ve heard about them are that they are rubbish and seeing as they are “cheap” and from China then I am inclined to believe what I have heard.

I didn’t say all owners are stupid, I said they are stupid OR ill-informed lol…. but that was mainly a poke at the annoying ads that try and make out people that buy a more expensive brand/model as stupid; which I said it’s quite the opposite.

…and again, there is a market for cheaper cars, so if people that buy them know what they’re getting then no, they’re not stupid; I just have a problem with them trying to compare themselves with superior car models by “implying” you’re stupid if you don’t buy one of their cars.

Cooke Consulting, post: 128273 wrote:
    …Meh….

Same sort of thing happened to Hyundai back in the day, mocked for being rubbish. … now look at them.

Then it was Kia’s turn or ‘Kia Carnage’ as we called them, for being cheap & nasty….now look at them. No longer nasty but some quite stunning little motors. Unfortunately, the name still puts me off.

The Cherry is just another turn in the never ending cog of automotive joy.

They will be pointed at and mocked for some years, then either they will bow out of the Aussie market or pick up their game and deliver some safe, stunning & probably still cheap(ish) motors.

…right time for a cuppa…

Hyundai and Kia aren’t all that great either. Hyundai are great looking cars, but other than that, not so great.

Note though that these aren’t my observations – my sisters ex-partner is a very respected mechanic and that’s basically what he has told me in his experience, so I tend to trust his opinion on that.

These may have been their cheaper entry level cars, I don’t know, I didn’t get details, just saying what I was told.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Ok, I read through this post, and was happy to keep to myself, as I have no working experience with the Chery/Great Wall brands. But now you have moved on to Hyundais…

I drive an I30 and have loved owning it. Which Australian car brand is willing to stand by their car with a 5yr unlimited km warranty?

Yes, I have had a couple of issues, which I took to my local Hyundai, they fixed it straight away and it was all covered under warranty – no questions, no claim, just done!

I get around 1000kms to a $50 tank of fuel, I can get my mountain bike in the back with the wheels on thanks to the fold flat rear seats, and it is an all round pleasure to drive. I have heard similar experiences from many other Hyundai owners.

I just think that unless you look at the whole picture, you are just speculating. It is no different than saying that a $500 website is rubbish, purely because it is cheap. When i first started the business, I built my website myself, because I had no cash, and still managed to generate leads from it – everything has a place, and I don’t think you can say something is cheap rubbish based on price, country of build or what you have heard a couple of people say.

Earthmover
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

When I was shopping for a work car at the start of the year I had a very close look at the Great Walls. I think they are an excellent option and a great price especially for those who don’t have a lot of money to outlay.

They where not as refined as the other brands at much higher prices, which is to be expected. But the engines are Mitsubishi, body’s are from the old Rodeos and the warranty is fair and comparable to others on offer. I don’t see how you can go wrong really.

just my 0.02

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 128389 wrote:
    Ok, I read through this post, and was happy to keep to myself, as I have no working experience with the Chery/Great Wall brands. But now you have moved on to Hyundais…

I drive an I30 and have loved owning it. Which Australian car brand is willing to stand by their car with a 5yr unlimited km warranty?

Yes, I have had a couple of issues, which I took to my local Hyundai, they fixed it straight away and it was all covered under warranty – no questions, no claim, just done!

I get around 1000kms to a $50 tank of fuel, I can get my mountain bike in the back with the wheels on thanks to the fold flat rear seats, and it is an all round pleasure to drive. I have heard similar experiences from many other Hyundai owners.

I just think that unless you look at the whole picture, you are just speculating. It is no different than saying that a $500 website is rubbish, purely because it is cheap. When i first started the business, I built my website myself, because I had no cash, and still managed to generate leads from it – everything has a place, and I don’t think you can say something is cheap rubbish based on price, country of build or what you have heard a couple of people say.

As I say, I don’t have the details on why he said the Hyundai’s are crap….. also, keep in mind this was going back to 2004 when I was looking for a new car; perhaps they have improved since then, who knows.

Cheap things become cheap for a reason:

Home brands are generally cheap mainly because it’s a “home brand” and less parties have to make a profit out of it and hence they can provide it at a lower rate, are the products lower quality, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

In web design/development you see cheap “$500” sites primarily for one or more of the below reasons..

* The designer/developer isn’t very experienced

* The designer/developer outsources the work OS

* The designer/developer doesn’t put much effort into your site as in; doesn’t learn about your company, what your needs and goals are or care about how the site does once it’s launched – they see their job as just “building the website”

* The designer/developer uses templated designs

* In bad cases the designer/developer may use automatic tools to code the site, which produces poor quality code

* There are monthly/hidden fees attached to the job

Those points above are not aimed at anyone in particular that does $500 sites, it’s just many ways that “$500” sites come about.

Obviously I offer a $499 site according to my sig, but that is a one page website, not a full blown website.

Also want to note that just because something is more expensive than the other thing doesn’t mean you’re always getting something better; a big reason why some products are more expensive than others is that some products have big marketing campaigns and hence this needs to be worked in their price.

Heck, I don’t always buy the most expensive thing just because it is the most expensive thing, I just don’t like buying “cheap” things. For example – I don’t get fooled by the mass marketing hype of the iPods/iPhones etc……. I own a Sansa MP3 player and a Motorola Milestone II; both of which I purchased after some good sold research and what I wanted to spend on that particular item.

Moral of the story is….. be educated on what you’re buying and ask yourself, why is this item so cheap compared to the others, is it a bargain or is it just “cheap”!?

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

Yes, my Kia is a 2007 model. I had a problem with it earlier in the year and the mechanics who looked at it told me they’d never seen this problem before, something to do with the ball joints.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.