Home – New Forums Starting your journey Great Work ASIC, you guys are rockstars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

OK, hopefully you heard the sarcasm in my voice!

So All I simply want to do is change my registered business name from my sole trader, to our newly created Pty Ltd company.

But with the new ASIC business names registration, you first have to go online and apply for an ASIC key! So I applied for the key, which has to be posted out! 9 days later, nothing, so I call up to find out what is going on.

It appears there has been an error with the system, and my key was not processed. Yet no-one bothered to contact me and let me know.

They have now referred it to IT, and may take another 5 days to be sorted. I tried to explain that my whole reason for doing it the week before last, was because I wanted to start trading with the business name from 1st July.

Surely there is another way that the business name can be changed? No – the only option now, is to do it online, through their ingenious system!

How frustrating when a government organisation doesn’t put any thought into how their process affects businesses.

Great job ASIC!

Rant over

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I saw the title to your thread and thought “no way, that can’t be serious”, and I was right – I certainly heard the sarcasm loud & clear. Seems that in the huge migration over to ASIC on the business name front they didn’t really test their software/systems as well as perhaps they could have… Issues and delays everywhere and across the board at the moment… One of which had me on hold for close to half an hour yesterday for the simplest of questions….

Fingers crossed that you get your key soon and can finalise your ownership change :)

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi Jacq,

Use this website, only 20 minutes to get ACN and other legal Docs.

http://www.trustdeed.com.au/

Hope it works..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    vilson, post: 121495 wrote:
    Use this website, only 20 minutes to get ACN and other legal Docs.

But then you’re paying for documents that you can get free anyway…and you still have to lodge them anyway, don’t you?

Wendy :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

Thanks Vilson- unfortunately, that would not have helped with my question for ASIC yesterday… I paid ($9) for a company extract through ASIC (you used to have to an information broker, cost around $35-$40 for same information)… Purchase went through and ASIC sent me a lovely email confirming my purchase and providing a link so I could download the extract. Problem? Well, the link didn’t work did it? That would have been too easy, so, almost half an hour on the phone just to get them to send a new link that actually worked… vent over.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Bet you would have prefered to spend the extra $20bucks for someone else to do it for you :)

Normanby
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Yep, ASIC sure do suck.
    One tip, when you buy a document they email you a link, but the link is actually back to the page you were on.
    So the trick is to go through the process but leave your browser open on that last page. When the email comes just go back to the browser page and refresh it, and there’s your document.
    Matt
    http://www.nohassleaccounting.com.au

JacquiPryor
    Up

Thanks Matt – you have no idea how helpful that information is to learn!!
    Obviously, I would prefer to be paying $9 for the extracts but, as AgentMail said – would be worth the extra $20 or so to go through a broker if it’s going to take a 25 minute phone call to get the information!! Will certainly be keeping your tip in mind. Thanks again, Jacqui

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

The thing I like about the “Public service” is they actually get paid for their incompetance and go on strike because some Union dope says so.

Abolish all public servise jobs and give them to PRIVATE ENTERPRISE.

Services will be more efficient, cost half what they do now and NO STRIKES.

I really am getting fedup with the incompetance from government departments in Australia.

I would be inclined to send ASIC a letter requesting your change of busness statue advising them that because of their incompetance you will start trading as of the 1st July with or without their approval. It is not your problem but theirs.
    Have your solicitor submit the approppriate forms and invoice ASIC for your time they have wasted.

If we start doing this the government might start taking notice, but i doubt it, thier head is too far in the sand looking for someoneelse to blame

JacquiPryor
    Up

To be ‘fair’ – they do have a couple of provisions for people that are urgently requiring their business names to be registered, documents sent or details changed etc… thankfully I haven’t had to test their ‘urgent services’ provision yet ;)

Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with the idea of everything moving to private enterprise – my partner, who is a teacher employed in the public service sector, in a union etc might not be very pleased with me :)

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

They’re not users of their own system so I doubt anyone would think like a business owner would. I wonder if they actually got a consultant in?

JacquiPryor
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 121677 wrote:
    They’re not users of their own system so I doubt anyone would think like a business owner would. I wonder if they actually got a consultant in?

That’s a good point Kathie! And, good question… I am now wondering the same thing. PS – after our posts back and forth re this business name issue – I’ve only just noticed you are in Selby, just a hop skip and jump from me (I am in Belgrave) – so – nice to chat with a neighbour ;)

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

I just spent the last 1.5 hours trying to change the business structure attached to my business name with ASIC… I’m going from a partnership to sole trader. Their “quick maintenance form” is very confusing and I’m still not sure whether I should just remove my partner or whether I need to cancel and transfer the business name to myself. Tried calling them but it’s engaged. So I ended up removing my partner and hoping for the best…

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

I took your title seriously!

That’s not great, after doing business with you, I know your an efficient business so I’m sad to hear this happened!

Hope it gets resolved soon :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.