Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Greetings, fellow aviators!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AudioMatt
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi there! My name’s Matt, and I’m a musician and sound engineer from Perth.

My move into business has taken a slightly unusual path. After being on DSP long term for mental health reasons, I joined a few bands and discovered not only that I had a knack for the technical side of things but that it also gave me a sense of accomplishment and meaning in life I had sorely lacked. I was encouraged to study it further.

I went back to highschool as an adult – not the easiest thing I’ve ever done – in order to gain entry to a Tafe course. During the following 5 years of study I recorded local bands and friends for free, as equal parts hobby, education, therapy and community service. It has been a lot of hard work, but my life – and health – are the best they’ve ever been as a result. I’m genuinely proud of myself, an aspect of life I missed for a long time.

My goals in business are to minimise my reliance on DSP, and to be able to repay some of the support my folks always gave me as they move toward retirement. It is also important to me that others benefit from my experience – music has changed my life, and I’d like to help others change theirs. There’s a delicate balance between being affordable to anyone, maintaining quality, and remaining sustainable.

Entering the work force for the first time now at 30 has its own challenges. I’ve never had to do so much as a tax return before, and have a crippling fear of bureaucracy – half an hour on the ATO website and I’m ready to give up on business all together. I’m starting to get the hang of it, but it’s slow going (It took me half an hour to choose an industry when I signed up here – still not sure I got it right!). The main reason I’m here is in the hope someone can help me wade through that particular swamp.

Thanks for reading, guys! Sorry for the long post ;)

I’ll leave you with an example of my work as a composer, musician and engineer from a couple years back: Sleeping Dogs Lie.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

G’day Matt,

What an inspiration you are! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us :)

Please feel free to head to the relevant section of the forum and ask any questions that come up for you about your new business – we have an official policy around here that the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

We’re wishing you every success, and simply floored by your determination and passion!

Jayne and the FS Crew

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Matt, I have read your post with interest, as I was a musso back in the 50 /60 ‘s
    Played Clarinet.
    What I am going to say is CONGRATULATIONS
    You have worked through a situation many of us have never been subjected to and you have achieved a magnificent result.
    For you the sky is the limit.
    Now, many soloists think they have to do everything by themselves. Not true.
    Out-sourse those areas that you dont know much about and do that which you love.
    This will give you even more confidence.
    You have in fact come to a community that may be more than willing to help and suggest thing that you may not have thought of.
    So welcome and again CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful achievements so far.
    Burgo

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Matt, what a wonderful story…happy to be your email buddy is you ever need someone to brainstorm with…

AudioMatt
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

What a welcome! Thanks everyone!

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Great to have you here Matt. As a Tom Waits/Cat Empire fan, your sample struck a chord with me!

Robert :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.