Home Forums Marketing mastery Growing number of visitors for a Blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    delon2014
    • Total posts: 3

Hi all, it has been a while since my last visit. I received lots of tips from this forum and I’m still implementing them slowly.

I have an online tutor and discount searching website called TutorsField.com.au. Many people suggested me to work on a blog and SEO. Our blog is now up and running. The blog focuses on study tips, tips for parents and also some free online music tutorials, and here is the channel.

I hope someone can tell me what I should do now to promote the blog and get more visitors. Also need some feedback about the content on our blog and how we can improve it.

*I posted the our blog post on some social media page and Google plus page but click rate is low.

Thanks very much : )

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Good luck delon
    A few tips:
    Click rates are typically low on social media. Everyone’s at it now. Everyone’s a writer and people are swamped with information.

I recommend joining groups and communities and looking down the posts. The good ones will show lots of activity – not just lots of posts but eople reacting to those posts with +1s/Likes/Favourites, Shares/Retweets and Comments. If not, it’s what I call a ‘dump and run’ group. There are lots of them.

Quality engagement is what you’re after. Build relationships and trust. You can, of course, play a numbers game and that’s a very different approach where you also become a dump and runner!

Most of my blog visits come (I think) by trying to be helpful on the networks.

Always thank people for their comments if you started the post and respond to people.

Identify thought leaders in your field with blogs. Enagage with their until they know who you are and then ask to guest blog. Link back to your blog in the credits at the bottom. Most bloggers are very happy to do that. You now have their massive network visiting your blog.

Make sure you retain the traffic. Some people bookmark but not many. Most repeat traffic will come from social media, email list and possibly RSS.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Just a comment on your blog…. He/she her/him, he/she, etc/etc, Just as a reader its annoying, some para’s repeat it multiple times, I know you don’t want to be sexist, but there needs to be a better way.

encocreative
    • Total posts: 50

Hey Delon, I like the design of your blog and the content you’re writing on.

Here are a few of my observations, blog wise:
    – does your logo have a bad quality? (not sure if my eyes are getting bad though :D)
    – having an ad in the top right isn’t a good spot, people love to have a clear navigation, and it hurts your design – won’t help the click through rate on the ad
    – read your post – Top 10 technical skills … (commented on it:)) -> the headlines are ok, but they’re too a bit too technical – “electronic calendar”, “word processing” -> it’s fine if you want to teach them the terms (there may be a discussion on importance, as I’m using a bunch of word processing software, but the term doesn’t hit me straight away what they are), but don’t begin with a technical term, tone it down to their knowledge level. On that same page, put across their benefits of learning one and point them how to learn them -> I’ve been using word since I was young, and it doesn’t help you with typing -> chat software helps you much more in those terms, but more importantly there are really good software for this type of learning
    – I felt that the article is empty – it tells me what I need to learn, but not how to gain that knowledge nor how much investment I have to put in for it. Just a shove in a direction would be great.
    – I’d suggest you point them to other blogs or resources as well. The thing is – if you can’t give them everything, you can’t. So point them to places where they can get the parts they can’t get from you.

What Bert said, it may be a non-sexist approach, but it’s hard to read. My head copywriter says on the subject – use he or she once, and keep using either he or she. Or if you want to cover ground in a way it’s easy to read, you can use he, then in the next mention she, then he, etc.

Blogger outreach is a good way to promote your blog.

If you’re going to step into it, read this, they cover it extensively:
    http://www.bloggersidekick.com/blogger-outreach/

GuestMember

The way to write s/he these days is:
    1. Use He on some examples and She on others but keep it consistent within the given text, and watch for gender stereotyping otherwise you’re perpetuating it.
    2. Better still, use They/Their/People throughout and completely de-gender it.

“Boys and girls like to ride bikes. S/he will ride them all day long.” becomes “Children like to ride bikes. They will ride them all day long.”

Using He/His everywhere would definitely be sexist. I know a bit about this as my PhD is in this subject! History (some feminists even point out that word History=HisStory) is littered with Founding Fathers, Mankind, and all sorts of exclusionary language. They not ‘just words’. It’s about a serious problem that women have battled for centuries. In the way we gasp at the crude old medical instruments in a museum, or how women fought just to be able to vote, one day soon, this language will also look archaic. So hopefully the above options can be used to improve readability whilst maintaining respect for all.

encocreative
    • Total posts: 50

Forgot about they:)

Just a side notion. We normally use – person, a member of the audience, customer, etc. in the text. But if you want to use a personal pronoun to talk about the person, you have to choose between he or she. And if you choose “he” and fill the whole text with it, it would be considered a bit sexist, right?

In my native language (Croatian), nouns have gender, and person in Croatian is of a female gender.

So when you talk about a person, you always use “she”. When I read a text that revolves around a person, although it’s in the female gender, I never think of just a female person, a person rather.

Just wanted to note, a bit of it really depends on how people perceive it.

For example, history (even if it was made from hisstory, the notion is so small, that even if you tell me the link, I don’t feel it), mankind (I would agree this word is sexist, at a subconscious level) and Founding Fathers (well they were men :D) – none of this makes me think of a gender inequality, even when you point it out. Mankind is a strange term here, as it really says we’re all a kind of man, which is sexist. But the phrase changed it meaning so much that people don’t see it that way.

GuestMember

‘Humankind’ is better there Ratko. I don’t think the idea is that HisStory is actually from those words, just a frustration about how history is largely about men and written from masculine perspectives – His Story.

While people will sometimes rush to quote a couple of famous female authors, artists, leaders, inventors, scientists, etc (like Marie Curie) to discredit this, these are the exception that prove the rule. I have no issue with ‘political correctness’! If something’s correct, respectful and inclusive, that’s fine with me. There’s no doubt that men dominate history and women have been written out and downplayed (and sometimes not had the opportunity to get out of the domestic sphere to excel elsewhere).

I agree with using customer, reader, etc where possible. These are then about roles rather than unnecessarily pointing to gender. Same with:

Stewardess > Flight Attendant
    Chairman > Chairperson / Chair or some other title altogether.
    Policeman > Police Officer

Interesting to hear cultural variations in the treatment of gender, where sometimes it is more about the structure of language that what is points to. There are bits of that in my heritage too (ships are female – I’m not sure that’s necessary. It’s just a ship to me)!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.