Home – New Forums Starting your journey GST and Contractors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cleaner Guy
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

Just had a question regarding GST. I have read up threads here but need some clarification. My situation is as follows.

Customer- requires a cleaning. Pays me
    Me – Receive the money and subcontract the work to someone.
    Subcontractor. Receives a fixed amount from me for completing the work requested by the customer.

From my understanding if the subcontractor is registered for GST he will add it to the invoice when i am charged. If he isn’t then he will not charge GST on the invoice.

Two scenarios:
    I am registered for GST – I will pay GST on the full amount given to me by the customer
    a) if the subcontractor is registered for GST i can claim back some tax credits from the GST he charged me?
    b) If he isnt there is no tax credits to claim back

I am not registered for GST – I pay no gst
    a) if the subcontractor is registered for gst he charges me GST. Since i am not registered for GST i cannot claim tax credits
    b) the subcontractor isn’t registered – He charges me non GST price and i dont pay any GST

Thanks for your help guys

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

That all seems correct

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Cleaner Guy
    Up

Just to clarify tax credits as well. Assuming i am registered for GST.

A customer pays me $150 ( I owe tax office $15 for GST)
    I pay subcontractor $100 +$10 GST for performing the service the customer requested.

From here i can claim back $10 in credit and I effectively only pay five dollars in tax. ($15 -$10=$5).

Thanks

James Millar
    Participant
    Up

If your customers GST inclusive amount was $150 then the GST in that would be 1/11th = $ 13.63 not $15.

If you pay the subcontractor $110 then yes the GST input tax credit would be $10

So you would owe the ATO $ 3.63

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Cleaner Guy
    Up

Thanks for your help James

James Millar
    Participant
    Up

No probs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.