Home – New Forums Money matters GST and income tax for lay by sales

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ksolo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

While I am waiting for my accountant to give a confirmation, I would like to seek personal experience here.

Our customer pays 6 monthly instalments. We are on cash basis so we report G1 (Total sales) and 1A (GST on sales) when we receive payment.

How do I record the cost of goods sold for BAS cash basis?
    Given that the customer has not made final payment yet, do I record it in the BAS period that goods was purchased by the company?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,321
    Up

Nice question.

I hope the community can help.

Cheers
    ~Paul

Williamsheikspare
    Participant
    Up

Hi all,

While I am waiting for my accountant to give a confirmation, I would like to seek personal experience here.

Our customer pays 6 monthly instalments. We are on cash basis so we report G1 (Total sales) and 1A (GST on sales) when we receive payment.

How do I record the cost of goods sold for BAS cash basis?
    Given that the customer has not made final payment yet, do I record it in the BAS period that goods was purchased by the company?

I hope community will help,
    Cheers,

ksolo
    Participant
    Up

I’ve got an update from my accountant.

– Record the cost of good sold of lay-by goods in the year that lay-by agreement
    – Pay GST on each payment (cash basis)
    – Record full sales price in the year of when final payment is made

Refer to TR 95/7 – https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/document?locid=%27TXR/TR957/NAT/ATO%27&PiT=20010620000001
    – the trading income of the seller is assessable on an accruals, rather than a cash, basis

Example 1

42. On 20 June 1994, Peta entered into a lay-by sale agreement with Shopmart Stores Ltd to purchase goods priced at $300. Peta is required to pay $30 deposit and the balance by 2 September 1994. The goods are removed from display, labelled with a reference to the lay-by sale agreement, and set aside in an area of Shopmart’s store separate from its other stock.

43. The full sale price of $300 is derived by Shopmart as income under subsection 25(1) in the year of income ended 30 June 1995. The goods held by Shopmart which are subject to the lay-by sale agreement are trading stock on hand under section 28 for the year of income ended 30 June 1994.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,321
    Up

Thank you for updating us!

Cheers

Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.