Home – New Forums Other discussions GST exempt customers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    anto
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi
    I have a customer, a university in QLD. We have sold them a service contract on some scientific equipment and upon sending them an invoice they have stated that they do not pay GST as they are exempt- is this correct? Any help appreciated. My understanding was that they pay and claim back?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Anto,

Its been a while, although some institutions are registered as GST exempt.. more traditionally you see it, or used to, with farms etc…. and they can normally produce a GST exemption code for you, well think they have to really.

There is some helpful info @ http://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/ which is the ATO’s GST site and on the left talks about selling to government etc.. although, in all honesty, maybe speak to your accountant as well as i am sure he/she would be able to advise how to proceed?

I am sure there will be some more ‘expert’ advice coming this way soon.. hold tight..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    anto
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Jason
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I now believe that I should be charging as normal and that the customer sorts it out at thier end. The accountants didnt really know but are looking into it!

thanks again

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Anto,

Sounds like you’re on your way to having it sorted out, but I just wanted to welcome you to Flying Solo!

Hope to see you around the forums. :)

Dave

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Anto

Glad you are on top of this one mate.. when it comes to exemptions and the likes, can be difficult.. especially when a client, thinks they are GST exempt for some unknown reason.. have had that happen before, they pleaded and said “but, but, but..” and low and behold, nadda! LOL

All the best mate

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.