Home – New Forums Logistics GST on Imports

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

A quick question.

How can I avoid the gst on my imports as a new trader? Can I go as an individual bringing stuff back in containers or do I have to have an abn. i dont yet earn over 50grand yet so why do I need an abn or to pay gst?

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Here’s a link that has the info you need from the tax office: http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/13193.htm

You pay GST on imports before the goods are released by customs. If you’re registered for GST, then you can claim the GST you paid on the imports.

The link also has information about deferring the payment of GST.

versant
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

guys

kind of related question – don’t want to start a new thread.

I understand that imports under $1000 don’t attract GST or import tax. But how many times can you import goods under $1000? Ie, can you bring goods in once a month, under $1000 without customs caring?

The business I am starting, I will be importing small runs if an items, won’t be over $1000 but will be doing it regularly.

Sorry to Hijack!!!

Anonymous
    Up

thanks for quick response.

yeah i seen that website but didnt know that it had everything on it. it seems to punish the small trader who is just starting off or doesnt earn over 50k which would require you to register. how is that fair?

the 1000 dollar thing i understood to be the total, tariffs+cost of goods+shipping etc…if it comes to over 1000 then you pay? I could be totally wrong or my name isnt dingdong.

lukew
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Anything over $1000 you pay GST,
    I’m in the same situation, looking at a fresh startup of importing, The costs certainly add up. Bulk purchase of product + shipping $8000 for 20ft container + insurance + duty + GST

I feel it would be in your best interest when importing to register for GST iven if you are going to be under the thresh-hold, at least you can claim back some of that GST on importations.

Another way I’m looking into at the moment is import goods on “consignment” need to find out if GST has to be paid straight up at the border or if its charged differently.

Anonymous
    Up

$8000 for 20ft container???

My brother in law has been into it pretty much for a while now and he pays only $2000 all up for his Im pretty sure. He organises it from the asian end and pays a little asian guy a cut (which equates to hardly anything) nad he organises everything, the packing supply and shipping. All you pay is the tarriffs.

Consignment…hmmm….tooo complcated – i want ot own the product – much simpler.

ding

Anonymous
    Up

Hi everyone,
    Similar queries have come up a few times now. You might be interested to check out this thread: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/3948-importing-goods-into-australia-under-1000-a.html

Good luck to you all,
    Jayne

lukew
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    dingdong, post: 26605 wrote:
    $8000 for 20ft container???

My brother in law has been into it pretty much for a while now and he pays only $2000 all up for his Im pretty sure. He organises it from the asian end and pays a little asian guy a cut (which equates to hardly anything) nad he organises everything, the packing supply and shipping. All you pay is the tarriffs.

Consignment…hmmm….tooo complcated – i want ot own the product – much simpler.

ding

Mine would be shipping from the states, I had quotes from multiple freight forwarding companies door – door shipping and they are all similar.
    $1500 – $1900 usd to go from pick up address to port 70 mile by road.
    $2400 – $2700 usd Ocean freight
    $500 – $650 AUD BAF fuel surcharge
    $400 – $500 AUD Local charges at Sydney
    $270 AUD import clearance per container (excludes duty)
    $2000 – $ 2300 + 10% AUD fuel surcharge to go from port to location 550klm
    Then add
    Insurance +
    5% duty+
    10%GST on the lot

I fail to see how your brother in law can get it done for so cheap. Can you find out what shipping company and trucking company he uses.

Anonymous
    Up

maybe its because he imports from asia its cheaper – i dont know. if you are importing from the us then i would imagine it would be 4 times the price.

its a bit like our airfares to the nam fair and return. if we took quantas and organised it from this end its expensive. what we did was use asia airlines just to get us into asia and from there we will book flights in asia to go the rest of the way and back – much cheaper than getting an oz travel agency to do it all. i imagine shipping would be the same – use an oz/us company and pay through the nose – do it from the other end and its cheaper.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.