Home – New Forums Starting your journey GST question for a now-and-then “second” income

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mediaman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    ::

Hi there.

A couple of questions re GST obligations for an ultra-small setup.

If I decide to start making some money on the side in addition to my full-time job but do not expect to make a lot from doing it, working ionly now and then; and say I call it simply “John Smith” for my invoicing (not my real name – lol), then

(1) Do I have to apply for an ABN and concern myself with GST?

(2) And if I do not concern myself with GST, how will big companies I work for handle me not charging GST on my “invoices”?

(3) If I do not charge them GST on the invoice but they do actually pay it on top of what I have charged, how do I handle the GST they have paid if I do not collect GST?

(4) Is it still relevant that you do not really have to concern yourself with GST unless you are earning over $75k a year?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MM

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    ::

Hi MediaMan,

MediaMan, post: 56147 wrote:
    (1) Do I have to apply for an ABN and concern myself with GST?

Your ABN and GST are 2 unrelated concepts.
    You should apply for an ABN – I doubt anyone would do business with you if you don’t have an ABN. I assume at this stage a sole trader entity is what you would use and either trade under your own name or register a business name (i.e. MediaMan).
    GST is optional for those businesses earning below $75K.

(2) And if I do not concern myself with GST, how will big companies I work for handle me not charging GST on my “invoices”?

Obviously if you don’t charge GST they will know your turnover is below $75K and it “may” have a negative impression depending on who your target market is. If you think it would be an issue just register for GST – do a little paper work each quarter and it won’t be an issue!

(3) If I do not charge them GST on the invoice but they do actually pay it on top of what I have charged, how do I handle the GST they have paid if I do not collect GST?

That’s illegal – don’t do that. Refund the GST portion if someone mistakingly pays it. If you aren’t registered for GST you aren’t entitled to collect GST.

(4) Is it still relevant that you do not really have to concern yourself with GST unless you are earning over $75k a year?

I’m not 100% sure what you are asking here – as I said before registering for GST is optional if your income is under $75K. In some cases it’s a benefit not to register and other cases it’s best to register depending on your own circumstances and the market you are in.

Good luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.