Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Guerrilla Marketing book – do you recommend it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TinaBMX
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Someone here referred to the book “Guerrilla Marketing” by Jay Conrad Levinson in another post (sorry, can’t remember which one).

I got on Amazon and found there are many variations of this book. The reviews were mixed and I seemed to notice a common complaint coming through that the later books were just rehashing the original publication.

I’m just wondering if others here have read any of these Guerrilla Marketing books and which, if any, come most highly recommended.

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I have read the standard Guerrilla Marketing book. I also did not give the others a shot as they seem much of the same but with a different title. The one i read was:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=guerrilla+marketing&x=0&y=0

I don’t particularly like Jay Conrad Levinson’s style of business, but he definitely knows a few things and there’s a lot for small business owners to get out of the book.

Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

The book is a bit of a classic but I feel that the guerrilla concept is still coming from a position of conflict (us vs. them) which is thankfully losing traction to us and us and trust relationships.

Read it but be careful of any suggestions to indulge in sneaky or hard-sell tactics.

:-)

TinaBMX
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Thank you Mike and Benedict for sharing your opinions on this book.

Sounds like its worth a read. (I find all business concepts books need to be taken with a grain of salt as different individuals and industries operate and respond differently.)

Richard A
    • Total posts: 92
    Up

I have it in my bookcase and I love it! And not just because of my army background!

I think it is highly appropriate to small biz.

Richard

beancounter
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

You can pay huge $$$ for marketing ideas – so the price of a book to give you only one idea would have to be good value. Even if the book cost $100

Yes, all the books may be saying the same thing – that’s because people are really the same all over –

“Guerilla” marketing refers to (unconventional) not mainstream tactics – and reading the book may inspire you to think of some of your own ideas

You can’t put a price on education.

If you spend enough time on the internet you can probably find most of those ideas yourself – but why not spend a few dollars on the 100’s of hours that other people have spent

small business marketing
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

if you want some other books to read, here is a great list

i went to Amazon and just searched “small business marketing” in their books section, and this is the result.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=small+business+marketing&x=17&y=17

The first book is Duct Tape Marketing – now I think this is the best small business marketing book available BUT I AM BIASED. I am a Duct Tape Marketing coach :-)

Jay’s book (which gave me some great ideas) is listed there as well.

#9, word of mouth marketing is another excellent book.

I have not read the others, but I think they are ranked by popularity and there should be a ton of reviews for each.

I also wanted to say beancounter makes an excellent point. Even if a book gives you one idea that makes you money, if your your return on investment (Profit divided by book price + your time to read + plus cost to action idea) is positive then you’re ahead.

ok, VERY rudimentary calculation but I am just illustrating a point.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.