Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Guidance for a new Electrical Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    All Things Electrical
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am a newcomer to the flying solo community.

My wife and I started our electrical business about 6 months ago and would love a little advice regarding some marketing among other things.

All Things Electrical was born out of the desire to have a reliable tradesman to do work at our own home, whether it was a carpenter, concretor or plumber (i had the electrical covered). We discovered that we were really not alone when we started doing a bit of market research to gauge the need in our area. We plan to change that culture for our customers.

I am currently looking into better ways to market the business and generate more leads.

We have listings on a number of the free online directory pages and a paid advertisement with yellowpages online. Also we have a website http://www.allthingselectrical.com.au . I am getting a slow trickle of enquiry off these platforms but the best results that have led to repeat business have by far come from going into other businesses and pitching my services to them face to face.

I have yellow pages chasing me to upgrade my listing to include 5 more postcodes outside my own, which is the only one they are listing me in at the moment (not sure how this happened as it was not what i thought i was buying when i signed up for it). This is going to cost about $350 per month which i would make back fairly quickly if it actually generates leads. Does anyone else have any insight into whether this would be worthwhile?

Also i have the monster that is SEO for the website and what to do about it. We built the website ourselves with some help from a friend and it is not ranking fantastically in google but does come up. I would love to improve this. Does anyone have any advice on how much money i need to commit to SEO? Or anything else useful i can do to improve my online presence.

Lastly but certainly not least is social media. We have a Facebook page and a Google+ Profile but are not really utilising these well. Does anyone have any advice on good resources to read about how to better use social media platforms? Or advice on good/best practice?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Morgan, do you handle the Newcastle area? I am a member of a group of business people that meet every week based on helping getting referal business for those in the group. Our electrician in the group has just taken a management role with an air conditiong company and I know the builder in our group is keen to get another good electricain on board.

If you don’t service Newcastle and can recommend a good, reliable electrician in the area that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

All Things Electrical
    Up

Hi Pete,

I will come up to Newcastle if the work warrants it.

I am based at Budgewoi and have spent the last three years commuting into Newcastle to go to work everyday. One of the goals of starting the business was to try and get work closer to home but at this stage I would really appreciate the referral.

What kind of work does the builder do?

By all means give my number to them and we can have a chat.

cheers

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Morgan, will give you a call tomorrow to have a chat as might have an idea where you can pick up referral work closer to home

Cheers

Pete

All Things Electrical, post: 190095 wrote:
    Hi Pete,

I will come up to Newcastle if the work warrants it.

I am based at Budgewoi and have spent the last three years commuting into Newcastle to go to work everyday. One of the goals of starting the business was to try and get work closer to home but at this stage I would really appreciate the referral.

What kind of work does the builder do?

By all means give my number to them and we can have a chat.

cheers

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Morgan

Sounds to me like you need a very specific plan. I have worked with many tradies like yourself and if you want to do it yourself or if you want to outsource, I have found that you, the business owner, still need to know about it too.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Morgan, although SEO is useful nothing will ever beat word of mouth. I would focus on getting to know other trades people. They are going to be in a position to refer work at the cold face where it matters most.

You could also try clubs and associations as they have many members. Perhaps you could do a free compliance check for any member which will help you build your data base up very quickly.

There are many things you can do, but to many to put into a post.

All Things Electrical
    Up

Thankyou for your responses guys. Sorry for the delayed response.

No body really tells you just how much there is behind doing the actual work of running a service based business. Your advice is appreciated.

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Hi there and welcome to Flying Solo :)
    This sounds like an exciting and scary time for you!
    I’ve had a look at your website and quite like it. It is easy to navigate, tidy and practical.
    SEO is a really important component of online marketing. However … While SEO generates leads, the quality of your website content will determine whether new visitors become customers or just passersby, so it’s important not to sacrifice readability for SEO.
    I’d suggest getting a quote from an SEO website copywriter and maybe trying to invest in SEO before the EOFY.
    I’m a copywriter, so I’m happy to have a chat with you about your website. I also think it would be a good idea to have a chat about social media marketing.
    KJ

Bright_Spark
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi,

I am new to Flying Solo also and also a sparky but im in Melbourne.
    I found SEO for your website is very important if you have not done any work on your site for SEO. I have limited knowledge in web design so i got a mate to make the site who also does a bit of SEO work too and what he did for us has given a great result. ( roughly 3 or 4 customers a week) So i suppose the return on investment for me on my website is ver good.
    I tried Yellow Pages online also and found it WAY too expensive for me based on the area that i cover in Melbourne was going to be about $4500 per month 😮 , i ended up only taking a couple of suburbs like you to try it out and when the contract finished i cancelled because it gave me little to no work and at around $400 per month…..
    I then started searching for other business directories online like Yellow ie: TrueLocal, business.com.au (fairfax), hotfrog, goguide.com.au , startlocal.
    I found that adding my business on all of their sites that it gave me a good presence on the internet for my area and i did get a couple of leads just from that in the first month.
    Then i saw that of the online directory sites i found that there were 3 main sites that were coming up in the top 10 (first page of google) consistently for my searches. YellowPages – obviously they should for the money you spend, VERY hard to advertise with them as they had to send a rep around to sign me up and try to upsell me.
    Truelocal – Not an easy process to sign up, prices are pretty expensive depending on the category or manage your ad but rank well on google. They are now owner by YellowPages so i can see it getting more expensive as time goes on).
    goguide.com.au – Easy to sign up & manage your account, ranks well on google, they are cheap (i spend only $200 per month for my ad +101 suburbs that my ad comes up in as a “Premium” ad up the top of search results and also on google on the 1st page most of the time. I have already had 5 customers from that site in the last 2 weeks. When i spoke to them on the phone last week they told me they are introducing a quote service ( much like oneflare and service seeking) & deals service very soon which will be interesting for me.

Ill keep you up to date on how the advertising is going.

Just thought i would share my experience with you as i am pretty much in the same boat as you only i am in Melbourne.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up
    All Things Electrical, post: 190089 wrote:
    the best results that have led to repeat business have by far come from going into other businesses and pitching my services to them face to face.

The main reason to try lots of things in marketing is so that you can find something that works, to repeat over and over.

Sounds like you found something worth repeating. :)

Dave

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hi Malcom and welcome to the group and the world of self employed

As per comments above all valid but will be dependent on your budget

As a sparky that wishes to work in your local area i would recommend setting up some meetings with local real estates agent, strata mangers and insurance brokers, as you will be accessing there data base

Also chat to your accountant about doing a feature on you and promoting to there database /website visitors (has worked well with our clients)

Consider also making your van standout, great way considering some kind of wraping of your brand on van
    Also create an intersting postcard/fridge magnet and dustribute to your local, possibly offer a complimentary safety check chances are they will require something be done or offer $100 off next job
    put subject to conditions and expiry date to creat urgency

Again all the best with new venture i am sure success will follow

Sterns Electrical
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi All Things.

I found for me the best way to promote my business online was by using adwords sparingly to increase clicks to your website. If you can do this yourself you can save money.
    If you go through sites to promote your business and your not on the 1st page i feel your wasting your money as not many people leave the 1st page.

Reviews also help

All Things Electrical, post: 190089 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am a newcomer to the flying solo community.

My wife and I started our electrical business about 6 months ago and would love a little advice regarding some marketing among other things.

All Things Electrical was born out of the desire to have a reliable tradesman to do work at our own home, whether it was a carpenter, concretor or plumber (i had the electrical covered). We discovered that we were really not alone when we started doing a bit of market research to gauge the need in our area. We plan to change that culture for our customers.

I am currently looking into better ways to market the business and generate more leads.

We have listings on a number of the free online directory pages and a paid advertisement with yellowpages online. Also we have a website http://www.allthingselectrical.com.au . I am getting a slow trickle of enquiry off these platforms but the best results that have led to repeat business have by far come from going into other businesses and pitching my services to them face to face.

I have yellow pages chasing me to upgrade my listing to include 5 more postcodes outside my own, which is the only one they are listing me in at the moment (not sure how this happened as it was not what i thought i was buying when i signed up for it). This is going to cost about $350 per month which i would make back fairly quickly if it actually generates leads. Does anyone else have any insight into whether this would be worthwhile?

Also i have the monster that is SEO for the website and what to do about it. We built the website ourselves with some help from a friend and it is not ranking fantastically in google but does come up. I would love to improve this. Does anyone have any advice on how much money i need to commit to SEO? Or anything else useful i can do to improve my online presence.

Lastly but certainly not least is social media. We have a Facebook page and a Google+ Profile but are not really utilising these well. Does anyone have any advice on good resources to read about how to better use social media platforms? Or advice on good/best practice?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.