Home – New Forums Other discussions Had enough of (prospective) clients…..

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #981966
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::

    No offense to my good clients (:)), but I’m getting really sick of dealing with prospective clients & have had many thoughts of going back to working for “the man” again.

    Not long ago business looked like it was really starting to pick up, I had one client who was giving me a constant flow of work just before xmas & I was also speaking with a couple other clients about possible work; a couple of times there I thought I would need someone to take on the overflow of work (I even posted a thread for it) because I was being kept busy with this one client but wanted to be able to handle the other work too.

    New year rolls around & even though this one client that was giving me all the work says they’ve still got a ton of work to get done, it appears they are having financial difficulties as they were well overdue in settling their outstanding invoices & haven’t put any more work through after this.

    Client who I was speaking to before xmas about a website & android app said they would come back to it in the new year (still haven’t heard anything & don’t really wanna keep bothering them); another client who was looking like he was going to get a website done now has decided to go with a WP theme instead & just get me to fix a few things when he gets it up & another client who seemed like they really were ready to go ahead with a sizable site has now gone silent on me after me spending considerable time creating multiple proposals for them; this is also not to mention a client who I visited in the city who I haven’t heard from since & another prospective client – who in their defense did say they were getting quotes from a few companies – never responded to me once I provided them with a quote; least they could have done was thanked me for the quote & the considerable time I spent coming up with it as it was quite a complex site.

    Honestly, I don’t like giving up on things, but I seem like I spend most of my time “wasting” my time communicating with clients who I will never get work from anyway.

    I know someone else posted a similar thread to this awhile back & I feel your pain.

    /rant over

    Had to get that off my chest, sorry about that! :p

    #1133975
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    0
    ::

    Maybe you’re chasing the wrong market…? The majority of freelancers I hear who are struggling in one way or another are usually those aiming for the cheaper end of the market. Anyone I know who charges a fair & reasonable amount, they seem to be doing fine.

    At the price brackets you have, where your thinking may be to go after those clients who can’t really afford very much at all, those clients are just as likely if not more so to choose a pre-built template as a result of being so price conscious. On the other hand the price bracket that I and most freelancers I know personally aim for is the 2k – 10k bracket, which is well below what the majority of agencies/studios charge so caters for a huge small business demographic, but where they’re aware that they do need to pay a little bit more than “peanuts” to get something effective.

    Think about why the biggest selling cars in Australia aren’t the cheapest entry level models (13k), but the models priced in the 20-30k bracket.

    Just some thoughts…

    Also, it’s not always the worst idea in the world to go back to working fulltime for a shortish period, and then take some time to build up your own business “on the side” without the pressure of being your main income stream. There are plenty of contract roles out there at the moment for periods of 6 months to a year…

    #1133976
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::
    Zava Design, post: 152507 wrote:
    Maybe you’re chasing the wrong market…? The majority of freelancers I hear who are struggling in one way or another are usually those aiming for the cheaper end of the market. Anyone I know who charges a fair & reasonable amount, they seem to be doing fine.

    At the price brackets you have, where your thinking may be to go after those clients who can’t really afford very much at all, those clients are just as likely if not more so to choose a pre-built template as a result of being so price conscious. On the other hand the price bracket that I and most freelancers I know personally aim for is the 2k – 10k bracket, which is well below what the majority of agencies/studios charge so caters for a huge small business demographic, but where they’re aware that they do need to pay a little bit more than “peanuts” to get something effective.

    Think about why the biggest selling cars in Australia aren’t the cheapest entry level models (13k), but the models priced in the 20-30k bracket.

    Just some thoughts…

    Actually, I really don’t like dealing with price concise clients, that’s why I make sure to include a “budget” field in my quote forms so I can see if they can afford what they’re asking for or not.

    An example being of some of the clients I mentioned above; the large job I provided a rough quote of $12 – $13k, the guy that decided to go with a template I quoted approx $2k when speaking with him (and he seemed fine with that) & this other job that looked like it was going to go through was about $4500, which was right in the clients budget range.

    It’s not so much about clients running away from your quotes because they’re price conscious (I try & weed them out early), it’s the ones that take up all your time with things like going out to see them, going back & forth on specs by email, creating proposals & all that jazz & then they just ignore your emails for whatever reason.

    Working for yourself definitely has a lot of perks, but at least working for others you just “do the work” & don’t have to deal with all this crap!

    #1133977
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    0
    ::
    CondorCreative, post: 152508 wrote:
    It’s not so much about clients running away from your quotes because they’re price conscious (I try & weed them out early), it’s the ones that take up all your time with things like going out to see them, going back & forth on specs by email, creating proposals & all that jazz & then they just ignore your emails for whatever reason.
    Well I was going on the packages on your site, and that’s certainly going to attract mostly very price conscious prospects, and perhaps scare off those who see them as being too cheap.

    Working for yourself definitely has a lot of perks, but at least working for others you just “do the work” & don’t have to deal with all this crap!

    I was dealing with far more crap, and far longer hours when I was working as a fulltime digital project/account manager for a major Sydney agency. The bigger the client the more they think they own you and can contact you at any time of day or night. And I can’t “sack” a client when I’m not the boss, I’ve enjoyed doing that a couple of times as my own boss. ;)

    #1133978
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    0
    ::
    Zava Design, post: 152509 wrote:
    Well I was going on the packages on your site, and that’s certainly going to attract mostly very price conscious prospects, and perhaps scare off those who see them as being too cheap.

    I was dealing with far more crap, and far longer hours when I was working as a fulltime digital project/account manager for a major Sydney agency. The bigger the client the more they think they own you and can contact you at any time of day or night. And I can’t “sack” a client when I’m not the boss, I’ve enjoyed doing that a couple of times as my own boss. ;)

    Yeah…. I know the packages seem kinda cheap; but TBH most clients that contact me use the quote or contact forms & not that haha…… I didn’t have that on the site to start off, but added it to see if it helped as things were really quite back then. I guess I could have a play around with the prices & see if anything changes haha

    #1133979
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    I think this is a perennial problem for any solo operator selling a service to client’s in an open market … clients are a pain regardless of industry, the only half reasonable solution I’ve found is concentrate on a niche (one you like and have superior skills in) and you can streamline some of the processes, and weed out a few time wasters, but non productive (read tough to pass on in your costs) overhead is still a big issue. Till they’re actually signed on and you’ve seen the colour of their money every lead is a potential loss.

    My recent experience with web site clients has actually made me wonder why you guy’s bother, you must love doing it, because I think it’s one of the toughest gigs out there (to make money). Perhaps if you’ve been in it for a long time as Dave has obviously been, you have the reputation and networks that give you the credibility to attract the right clients at the start, how you get to that point in a very competitive market is the hard bit.

    This is turning into a bit of an essay, but you’ve hit a nerve on something I’ve been pondering.

    I’ve had a couple of runs at building websites for clients, I don’t market it, but I get direct referrals from existing clients, usually connected to the industry I was already in … this proved to be a real pain till I streamlined it a bit on a hosted platform … enter my first client from outside the industry, wanting what’s turned out to be quite a bespoke scope, I’ve taken it on as a challenge, and I’m not concerned about the hours. I like the client and I’m determined to give him a good solution … but, as business model it sucks. To get a return for the time actually spent, I’d have to charge a figure that would have eliminated the client in the first hour.

    I think/know this will be my last one … too hard, I’ll leave them to you guy’s to sort out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.