Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Handling web site reviews

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #966776
    Adam Randall
    Member
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    0
    ::

    There are a lot of web site reviews in here now and the amount of requests seem to be increasing all the time.

    A couple things I have noticed:

    The same questions being asked of the reviewers after the initial request.

    Some people with one or two posts coming in like crop dusters for a quick freebee and then never posting again.

    I have seen on another forum that gets a lot of web site review request how they handle it and I think it would be good to follow their example.

    To post a web site review request, you must:

    1) Have at least 20 posts against your name

    2) fill out a template of 20 common questions

    This would stop website review spam & would also make the person requesting the review think more clearly about their own site prior to posting.

    Example below:

    http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113

    #1020851
    Chris Bates
    Member
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    0
    ::

    I agree with the template, lots of poorly asked questions for reviews that tend not to get any responses.

    The post requirement is a bit iffy though. It infuriates me when I go join a forum and I have to jump through hoops before I can be considered a member. I think it just prompts people to spam, get their advice, and never come back anyway.

    I think active members tend to get the better feedback anyway.

    #1020852
    Robert Gerrish
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    0
    ::

    Great points guys, thanks for raising it Adam.

    We’ll get to work on something and be back to you v shortly.

    Robert

    #1020853
    VideoTraining
    Member
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    0
    ::

    Yes, it is interesting to watch – says the new guy!

    I would think that if FS implemented a “must be a member for n days” policy it would cut down a lot of this.

    Good point though.

    Tony Morris
    http://www.DVDcoach.com
    Online Computer Training Made Easy

    #1020854
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    0
    ::

    Ohh … No, don’t bring in the “must be a member for x days” or “must have made x posts” … When I joined, I wanted to hit the ground running … I probably would have left if I didn’t achieve the goals I wanted in a short time.

    I like the idea of a questionnaire though, with regards to everything else, isn’t that what we have moderators for?

    #1020855
    vxd
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::
    Emroy, post: 24708 wrote:
    Ohh … No, don’t bring in the “must be a member for x days” or “must have made x posts” … When I joined, I wanted to hit the ground running … I probably would have left if I didn’t achieve the goals I wanted in a short time.

    I really hate that too, I was on a forum that you had to wait 45 days and 25 post to post in a section.

    It was the classified section so it’s understandable but to wait x days and have x post to post in the review section would be ridiculous

    #1020856
    King
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    0
    ::

    I am an admin on a forum that had this issue. They ONLY way we found to solve it was through the X posts first (proper posts, we ban them otherwise). We have no qualms about ensuring they give to the community first.

    Also made all links no-follow, plus have moderators constantly on the site – easy with 4-5 people in different time zones. (this is sadly lacking on this forum, spam still existing 12 hours after the spammer posted).

    #1020857
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    0
    ::
    King, post: 24717 wrote:
    I am an admin on a forum that had this issue. They ONLY way we found to solve it was through the X posts first (proper posts, we ban them otherwise). We have no qualms about ensuring they give to the community first.

    Also made all links no-follow, plus have moderators constantly on the site – easy with 4-5 people in different time zones. (this is sadly lacking on this forum, spam still existing 12 hours after the spammer posted).

    Your going to get spam no matter what you do… Perhaps Flying Solo should look at having a few other moderators?

    I’m not sure if the links are no follow at the moment or not, but if I think they were intentionally moved to no follow would be stupid. Why not make the most of the time we are here by getting a few link backs to our site?

    #1020858
    King
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    0
    ::

    Yes it may be that more moderators are needed or those that exist to check in more often.

    It is only the links for site reviews that are no follow in the other forum. The system has cut down significantly on link dropping by people who never return and participate by taking up at least some of the suggestions made.

    #1020859
    JohnSheppard
    Member
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    0
    ::

    The no follow thing likely doesn’t act as a deterrent to spaming as it’s easier to post than to read the rules.

    I would think having a 2-3 post limit on just the community review subforum would prevent review request abuse without imposing a deterrent on possible new good members.

    That is, coming and posting a review request straight up is not a good indicator of someone who wants to contribute anything worthwhile to the forum as a whole.

    Myself I rarely read the review requests because I figure it’s a one way street and I’m here to learn not to give my services away for free (which I presume is the same for most people)..

    Fewer requests with higher quality responses…might turn into a two way street where learning occurs for all….

    #1020860
    Peter – FS Administrator
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all!
    Thanks so much for this discussion – it’s great to hear a range of views and ideas.
    I think we can definitely streamline the reviews process and spam is a long-running battle that we’re very focused on staying on top of.
    We’re working on a response to this and will get back you you shortly.
    Cheers,
    Peter

    #1020861
    jdyason
    Member
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    0
    ::

    How about setting a forum rule…
    Before requesting a community review members must first introduce who they are and what their business does, including goals etc. on the appropriate threads. That way they are more inclined to be a contributer then a spammer.

    Just an idea…

    #1020862
    andy
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    Now I feel paranoid!! A few days after I post a request for a website review, this topic comes up!

    Personally, if this criteria was in place, I would be unlikely to have ever made enough posts to qualify, and would not have persisted with the forum.

    I have truly appreciated and absorbed all the feedback I received, and am currently making changes to my site, some of which are already visible.

    I imagine a lot of people come to a site like this looking for help/opinions/resource. If you are at this kind of stage of business development, are you going to be confident enough to rack up 20 posts of advise/opinion to other members?

    I would also imagine it is pretty easy to determine which requests are “spammy” and which are legitimate requests for assistance? And you don’t HAVE to review every site posted?

    That being said, I can see a role for a template for questions. Good for provoking self analysis prior to posting.

    Thanks

    Andy

    Adam Randall, post: 24683 wrote:
    There are a lot of web site reviews in here now and the amount of requests seem to be increasing all the time.

    A couple things I have noticed:

    The same questions being asked of the reviewers after the initial request.

    Some people with one or two posts coming in like crop dusters for a quick freebee and then never posting again.

    I have seen on another forum that gets a lot of web site review request how they handle it and I think it would be good to follow their example.

    To post a web site review request, you must:

    1) Have at least 20 posts against your name

    2) fill out a template of 20 common questions

    This would stop website review spam & would also make the person requesting the review think more clearly about their own site prior to posting.

    Example below:

    http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113

    #1020863
    FionaFell
    Member
    • Total posts: 342
    Up
    0
    ::

    I like the idea of the template for submission, to increase the quality of the question posed.

    If I get two requests pop up in the forums, I have a definate bias as to which poster I help out.

    POST 1: Review my site ; http://www.URL.com/.com.au

    POST 2: I am a [whatever] and my site is my only current marketing [http://www.URL.com/.com.au%5D and I am looking for feedback on both the look and feel, and the actual words or copy. I am looking to increase the number of people calling after the visit and read my site.

    I am going to ignore Post 1, sorry, and spend that bit more time sticky-beaking at the 2nd posters site and trying to find ways to help them out.

    #1020864
    Chris Bates
    Member
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    0
    ::

    Andy, don’t stress! You’re more then welcome to these forums :D

    I think a sticky + template is the way to go. I’m against post count restrictions though, it puts off potential valuable members and just promotes pointless “filler” posts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.