Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Has anything suprised you about working for yourself?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    ::

Regular forumite [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] shares her soloist story on the FS homepage today.

I love this quote from her about what surprised her about solo business life:

“I think what surprised me most was the things I was prepared to do outside my comfort zone, we all have that little part in our brain that says this is too scary, don’t do it. When I first started I didn’t believe at all that I would be able to get out there, make contacts and sell. I had so much knowledge in my area of expertise and sales was not part of this. I started with a trade show and talking to people and my confidence grew. After a few calls and chats to potential clients, I found that I had a natural aptitude for it and I adore it. I loved my product so I think that helped.”

Is there anything that’s taken you by surprise since flying solo?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

My surprise is how much I actually enjoy working 7 days a week. Of course my business means that I can take time off do do what I can when I want – for example, if I want to go to town for some shopping and my farm doesn’t need any immediate work done I can without feeling guilty. And I can work the hours I like.
    Maybe I have to get up at 5am to do my irrigation, but I can knock off for the afternoon, or I just don’t go out to work on a very hot day, or on a very cold morning.
    I don’t think I could even work for someone else now, with the strict working conditions and timetables of a ‘regular’ job.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

When an employee, I perfected the art of switching off when I was not at work.

I have vivid memories of kind of being shocked at around 8pm on Sundays which is about the time I started getting myself into “game mode” for the coming week.

In my own business, I have not been able to find an off switch – the business is always in the back of my mind.

Lucy Kippist
    Up

A positive and a negative at times I imagine, [USER=78886]@PaulB[/USER]

Lucy Kippist
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 256867, member: 28171 wrote:
    My surprise is how much I actually enjoy working 7 days a week. Of course my business means that I can take time off do do what I can when I want – for example, if I want to go to town for some shopping and my farm doesn’t need any immediate work done I can without feeling guilty. And I can work the hours I like.
    Maybe I have to get up at 5am to do my irrigation, but I can knock off for the afternoon, or I just don’t go out to work on a very hot day, or on a very cold morning.
    I don’t think I could even work for someone else now, with the strict working conditions and timetables of a ‘regular’ job.

Love the sound of this Rowan, makes a lot of sense! I think work often feels like work because we have to fit around other people’s schedules. Once you call the shots, that side of things must be somewhat easier.

valentlau
    Participant
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

When I did a session on Sat/Sun they asked if I got (Easter) Monday off. Hehe, we don’t get time off!

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    valentlau, post: 258030, member: 105593 wrote:
    When I did a session on Sat/Sun they asked if I got (Easter) Monday off. Hehe, we don’t get time off!
    I know that feeling too Valent!
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    Lucy Kippist, post: 256864, member: 98720 wrote:
    Is there anything that’s taken you by surprise since flying solo?

The amount of money you can make.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    valentlau, post: 258030, member: 105593 wrote:

If that is the case you have your business fundamentals all wrong.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.