Home – New Forums Starting your journey Has twitter worked for your business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    beanonlinelately
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve been online in the FS forums but having tied up some loose ends recently I now look forward to re-aquanting myself with everyone.

I have a question? Has twitter generated you any new business and if so what was the best way of utilising it?

I’m just wrapping up some projects with a few clients and thought that other than usual word of mouth advertising I’d look to do an offer through Twitter?

Maybe something like a half price website sale for the first 3-5 customers who DM or go through my website?

Has anyone else had success, or failure by approaching some online marketing this way?

Cheers, Rod.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

You may find this thread helpful.

beanonlinelately
    Up

Thanks BluePenguin

Some really useful tips and advice, I agree re the comments on Facebook as I’d used that as my primary SM source up till this point, but I think I’ll focus on Twitter for six months and choose very carefully who I’ll follow.

Appreciate the help, see you in the forums.

Cheers, Rod.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

Hey there,

It’s all about building relationships with people on twitter.

What I recommend is searching up a guy called Gary Vanyerchuk. He’s built a huge following on twitter over the last few years from nothing.

I read his book, The Thankyou Economy. If you want to learn how to be successful on twitter, you should check him out and the book!

Let me know how you find it :)

Thanks,
    Nick.

beanonlinelately
    Up

Thanks Nick,

I’ve just found and followed Gary on Twitter.

Looks like I’ll have some good reading material for my next trip away to keep up the inspiration.

Cheers, Rod

jess@auteched
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi beanonlinelately,

The first step before you even start tweeting is to analyze your objectives. You may start by asking yourselves how twitter might help you achieve your objectives.

• Would you like a way to connect and network with others in your industry or others who share
    your views? It’s a good a tool for that.
    • Would you like a way to get instant access to what’s being said, this minute, about your organization, people, products, or brand? It’s a good tool for that.
    • Would you like a steady stream of ideas, content, links, resources, and tips focused on your area
    of expertise or interest? It’s a good tool for that.
    • Would you like to monitor what’s being said about your customers to help them protect their
    brands? It’s a good tool for that.
    • Would you like to extend the reach of your thought leadership—blog posts and other content?It can be a good tool for that.
    • Would you like to promote your products and services directly to a target audience? Not such a good tool for that.

Here are few Twitter tips for Small Businesses:
    • First of all, listen
    • Do not be boring
    • A live version of a FAQ
    • Create a focus group
    • Soapbox for thinkers
    • Starting small is fine

It’s best to use a tool to watch over your Twitter account as it serves a way to monitor your brand and reputation. Check out this search tool:
    Twitter Search: http://search.twitter.com/

Here’s a good read on how Small Businesses can put Twitter for a good use:
    http://bit.ly/ns4fPo

Feel free to check out our very own Microsoft Australia Twitter Channel and how we incorporated it.

Hope this helps you.

If you are looking for more support, visit our Small Business Meeting and Support Room.

Follow our support channel on twitter @msau

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

no – no help

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

nope, no help at all, lots of USA companies have linked to me but as far as generating businesses a big fat fart is all I can say

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    NickHumphries, post: 88243 wrote:
    Hey there,

It’s all about building relationships with people on twitter.

What I recommend is searching up a guy called Gary Vanyerchuk. He’s built a huge following on twitter over the last few years from nothing.

I read his book, The Thankyou Economy. If you want to learn how to be successful on twitter, you should check him out and the book!

Let me know how you find it :)

Thanks,
    Nick.

Yes, great for me but I absolutely agree with Nick – it’s about relationships not just sell, sell, sell!

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Hi there Rod,

Looking at leads that have contacted me via my website contact page, I’ve actually found Twitter to be a very effective.

While it only makes up 7.8% of traffic to my website, it generates 23% of my leads of which 60% have converted to jobs, accounting for 30% of converted leads.

Facebook accounts for 5.2% of traffic to my website, generating 22% of leads of which 50% convert accounting for 20% of converted leads.

While I do have leads who have contacted me using methods other than my website contact page, a number of these still come through Twitter & Facebook, so I’d feel comfortable attributing 30-40% of all my work to these channels.

How have I made it work?

By creating lots of interesting and relevant content which my audience have found useful; feeding that content through my social media channels; feeding other useful links and relevant information through these channels; and finally, spending the time to engage with my ever increasing audience.

I’ve not had to promote myself with sales or special offers. I’ve just had to be present and “real”.

Of course, just as I promote other people’s fine content, they then promote mine which helps expand my audience and potential client base.

It’s a fine balance. There needs to be a good mix of information, social interaction, self-promotion, and promotion of others to get these channels cranking for you.

At least – that’s been my experience.

NickHumphries
    Up
    beanonlinelately, post: 88310 wrote:
    Thanks Nick,

I’ve just found and followed Gary on Twitter.

Looks like I’ll have some good reading material for my next trip away to keep up the inspiration.

Cheers, Rod

That’s great!

Maybe as you’ve seen already, he is really good at getting his point across.

Look forward to hearing your feedback, meanwhile I’ll follow you on twitter :)

NickHumphries
    Up
    NickHumphries, post: 88892 wrote:
    That’s great!

Maybe as you’ve seen already, he is really good at getting his point across.

Look forward to hearing your feedback, meanwhile I’ll follow you on twitter :)

Actually your twitter icon isn’t working properly, maybe you should fix that.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    beanonlinelately, post: 88178 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve been online in the FS forums but having tied up some loose ends recently I now look forward to re-aquanting myself with everyone.

I have a question? Has twitter generated you any new business and if so what was the best way of utilising it?

I’m just wrapping up some projects with a few clients and thought that other than usual word of mouth advertising I’d look to do an offer through Twitter?

Maybe something like a half price website sale for the first 3-5 customers who DM or go through my website?

Has anyone else had success, or failure by approaching some online marketing this way?

Cheers, Rod.

Hi Rod,

We use Twitter from time to time. Basically we like to keep our customers updated with new service offerings, any server or network maintenance and of course promotions.

Cheers,
    Shaun

beanonlinelately
    Up

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for all of your feedback, a very interesting point about content! Hadn’t thought about using my followees to gain content ideas as well as all of the other points that have been mentioned.

I do like the immediacy of Twitter compared to f/b for business, also, I think it allows a bit more personality to shine through about your brand as well.

Food for thought…cheers guys!

PhillipHobbs
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi Rod,
    I made a video reply here, Video reply to Rod
    please see it :)
    I thought I added it yesterday, but couldnt see it today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.