• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MadHatterz
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Good Evening All,

I thought i would introduce myself. I am feeling a bit lost really. Would love to be able to get hold of some branded caps/hats to sell but am a bit unsure where to get them from. do you think it would be best to import these from China. I have found a guy in china but i am feeling a bit wary. Also have found an importer in Australia but know i will have to pay a premium from them

Has anybody got any pointers as i have had this business in my head for a couple of years and it keeps coming to the front so now is the time to make it happen.

If anybody has any suggestion for me please they would be gratefully received.

Thanks again
    Liz

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Liz,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

I hope you enjoy hanging out with us, and that someone around here can help with your questions.

All the best,
    Jayne

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

If you import from China you will likely be looking at min of 2000 pieces per style/logo. That’s a lot of hats unless you know you have a market. You will also need to set in place someone to do factory inspection during manufacture to ensure quality.

Its not justa case of finding a company supplying hats on Alibaba etc and placing an order – too many times you read about things going pear shaped and half the stock that arrives being unsalable…

If you are starting out, you are probably best using the existing importer initially.

Are you looking to wholesale/distribute or retail?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Something also to remember – in order to sell brand names you must have permission from the copyright owner to distribute. Otherwise you are infringing trademarks.

For example, I would love to sell Disney stuff but I have to pay for a licence and get their permission to do so for any product as well. And it gets very expensive for small fry. So I gave up on the idea.

I realise that there are countless people selling these things on the web – but many are not bonafide. Most brand names protect their brand fiercely in Australia and the US.

I am sharing this so that you are aware of trademark infringements. The IP trademark experts on this website would agree.

I would stick to a couple of brand names and first approach the companies head offices concerned and ask for information about becoming distributors of products in their names etc.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    KarenC, post: 93893 wrote:
    Something also to remember – in order to sell brand names you must have permission from the copyright owner to distribute. Otherwise you are infringing trademarks.

For example, I would love to sell Disney stuff but I have to pay for a licence and get their permission to do so for any product as well. And it gets very expensive for small fry. So I gave up on the idea.

I realise that there are countless people selling these things on the web – but many are not bonafide. Most brand names protect their brand fiercely in Australia and the US.

I am sharing this so that you are aware of trademark infringements. The IP trademark experts on this website would agree.

I would stick to a couple of brand names and first approach the companies head offices concerned and ask for information about becoming distributors of products in their names etc.

Hi Liz try http://www.hatsonline.com.au seem to be decent company based in Qld and maybe you can do a deal with them. Just a thought.

john

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.