Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Have I lost the plot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    beckles
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    ::

Well my kids would probably say I did years ago, but…

I have just recently launched my new website, which sells training material for ERP systems and MS Office. Material can be purchased pre-printed and also in PDF format for third party printing and Intranet distribution. All well and good and satisfies the tech writer part of me.

But I’m also trainer, and while I’m over the classroom-type training, I am considering offering online training. Not the standard online training where you login and watch a video, but one done via web conferencing.

Basically, you book a time via our website that suits you, I call you at that time and direct you to login to a web area. Once logged in, you can watch me using my computer desktop and combined with using the phone for audio (or skype), we do a training session. I will also be able to switch the setup, so that I can also watch you demonstrate a task etc.

My target group would be busy professionals (oe soloists!) who don’t have time to sit through a whole day session or just want to learn about a particular feature. They can schedule time in their day for a quick training session and then be back into their work as soon as it ends.

The client would not require any special software on their end, only a broadband Internet connection.

For clients using Sykpe, they can have up to 10 people “attend” the same session, with discounted pricing for additional participants.

Quick reference “cheat sheets” would also be provided on the topic/s covered in the session.

Duration of the session would be approx 45 mins

Clients can select from suggested course topics, or request the topic that they are interested in. Initially it would be for Microsoft Office programs only, but would be expanded as time went on.

For clients just having problems with using a programs (for instance is having troubles getting an Excel Pivot Table to work properly), they could also schedule a time for me to connect to their computer and show them how to resolve the issue.

Does this idea appeal to anyone? And what would be the price that you’d pay for such convenience? My initial thoughts are $45 for a 45 min session, as I usually charge $60/hr for on-site training.

Appreciate any feedback on what is possibly a hairbrain idea!

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I like the idea. The problem with most training is that it isn’t customised, so you get taught heaps of things you don’t need to know. But this gives you a live trainer you can interact with.

The biggest problem is that to train up to 10 people for 45 minutes for $45 is way too cheap. Most corporates would pay heaps more than that. They train their people well and don’t even need to send them offsite. I’d get your prices up fast once you launch.

beckles
    Up

Thanks Hugh!

I did mention that it would be additional pricing for the additional participants but forgot to include what that pricing would be – sorry! To begin with, I’m thinking $35 per extra person. So 5 people would be $45 + ($35×4) = $185.

My initial feeling for pricing was $65 for a 45min session. Having run a classroom based IT training business in the past, I know a general MS Office class is around the $595/day (on average), which works out to be $85/hr (based on a usual 7 hour training day). But as I will also be targeting small businesses as well, thought $65 might be too high a price to begin with.

Ugh, I hate pricing my services!

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I think $45 is too cheap also. You’ll barely cover your costs and your services will suffer. Saying that tho, I would think that thats about what small business would be willing to pay.

Why not target corporates? They will pay more than small business will and I daresay an easier sell? Maybe…

Personally, I would avoid skype too for remote desktop sharing/confrencing, check out http://www.teamviewer.com, it’s click and run from a website, it’s brandable also…

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Beck :)

I agree with John, $45/hr is cheap as dirt. It’s ONLY viable if you can fill the room.

If you did 1 session at $45/hr for 3 hours = $135
    1 session with 3 people at $45/hr for 3 hours = $405

Massive difference!

So I would say your price point is viable, but you must get the numbers.

You could put the option in their hand, 1 on 1 training $135/hr. Scale down for every additional person they bring to training.

beckles
    Up

Ok, I’m getting the idea my pricing is too low lol!

But the actual concept isn’t as harebrained as I thought?

Thank you gentlemen, you have given me food for thought!

Chris, expect some email in the near future :o)

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

The concept is just fine.
    The pricing Coporates $ 100.00phpp regardless of numbers.
    ( manytimes I have booked in a training session with a hotel group to teach 3 employees to have only 1 attend)
    Soloists $50.00phpp ( special price for the soloist) or something to that affect, or am I off the mark.

CarolP
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

I agree that $45 is too cheap. Webconferencing is hot right now and will continue to grow.

A hot tip. You can extend the idea further and leverage it.

You can repackage your content and sell it to the people you train or offer it as a bonus.

You can also sell the content to other people who may not want to sit through your timing. This will give you the option of going global and mastering different timezones.

Build in upsells so you have a sustainable sales funnel.

Cheers
    Carol

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello Rebbecca

The idea is great…..I agree toooo cheap…….If you follow Carol’s great idea, make sure you cover any legal aspect regarding privacy laws etc.

Cheers

Steven

HRnet
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

I am joining in the chorus of charging a higher rate but you get that already. A thought – training is great and is always needed, but wouldn’t it be better if you could also record the session and send it to them on a usb stick or cd for future reference? Could also be a great way to have your brand front of mind, the next time they get stuck.

The skype product is excellent- I meet with my business partner almost every other day and it acts as a great doc storage tool to share information etc.

GOod idea. Challenge is to market against the big guys, but your niche service could just cut it.

beckles
    Up

Hello!

Sorry for the delayed reply back, I logged out FS and had problems getting back :o( But I am back- wahoo!

Thanks for all the feedback on pricing – it has given me the needed confidence boost. I’ve realised that if people aren’t willing to pay what I will be charging, then they are clients I don’t need the hassle with.

A friend pointed out that if I can provide online training sessions, I can also troubleshoot MS Office problems remotely as well. So with that in mind, I also have some meetings set up for next week with some local IT firms to provide just that service. They outsource the niggly little MS Office problems that drive techs crazy to me and I’ll fix them more quickly. 99% of MS Office problems aren’t actual software issues, but just how the client is using the application, but most IT techs only think to find a ‘problem’ to fix. So while I’m working on those sorts of jobs, the IT techs can go work on more technical issues.

Cheers

Beck

DS_BVS
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi

I won’t mention the cheap rates either (although with volume who knows).

I have had a bit to do with corporate trainers as clients and there are often price premiums to be had. I’m with John Sheppard on that one. Just make sure your packaging & presentation are first rate.

You mentioned you were over the classroom style training but consider a mix of the two as this would help to reinforce the relationship with the participants & establish relationships with corporates wanting the training. You could easily work into the Brisbane CBD from where you are if you can get along Ipswich Road!
    I love your troubleshooter role with MSOffice and could refer people to you.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    beckles, post: 41579 wrote:
    Sorry for the delayed reply back, I logged out FS and had problems getting back :o( But I am back- wahoo!

Beck, I’m sorry that you had problems. As you probably know, we’ve had a few issues around here over the past few weeks. If you encounter any more difficulties, please contact us, and we will try to sort them out for you. If you can’t log in and therefore can’t send Peter or I a PM, please use the contact form in the footer of the site, and we’ll get on it ASAP.

Apologies again, and btw, I love your approach of teaming up with the local IT guys. Go for it!

Jayne

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.