Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Have you been an “Expendable”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    ::

There has never been a time like this before.

Business and our lives change almost daily due to the speed of technology.

And customer service typically suffers… thus, the companies that excel at customer service are written about and spoken about.

Now surely, that is the minimum height that the bar should be set at because.. “hello”, we are going to make money if we do just that… and still many businesses don’t do it.

But what about the “Expendables”?

… those people who come to the door steps of businesses every day with enthusiasm in their hearts. They may be sending a resume because they were invited to do so… or even a proposal to help make or save money because they were invited to do so. They may even be crazy enough to see something that is overlooked in business and tell about it.

Are these people worth no less to these businesses than their customers? Do they not deserve a return telephone call, a letter, an email?

Do these businesses think that these people do not speak and communicate?

The growth in social media and business forums means that the “Expendables” are venting like never before… sometimes good but mostly bad. They are now able to be heard by the world and heard instantly.

Is there room for Integrity and Courtesy in business these days?

I’d love to know your thoughts…

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Not sure if this is a bit off topic to your question:

Personally I believe that all online networks, forums etc are just a foot in the door. Nothing more.

It is your personality, integrity, courtesy, morals, ethics, service levels etc etc etc that take you over the line that make the connection – whether personal or professional.

I equally believe in karma. What you give out – is what you get back and what you ultimately deserve!

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Last year I spent 9 months with a company whose accounting system was a mess. They still had not reconciled all the bank accounts for the 08 financial year for instance. In my 9 months I set about rectifying the systems that were non existant and bringing everything up to date. We completed the 08 financials, the 09 financials and by December were producing monthly accounts for October. Everything was fantastic and everyone was happy. Until….

One meeting I raised an issue about the lack of invoicing for the month. I was concerned that things had started to slip again. Bad move. From that day forward the owner did not speak to me unless was absolutely necessary (he previously would chat to me EVERY DAY for about an hour about what we were going to do going forward etc).

It all came to a head mid December where I was told I was not suitable anymore. I had suddenly become expendable. All the systems were in place and nearly everything was up to date (first time in 4 years).

Its funny how one minute you can be the saviour, next minute you are out the door.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I was on contract with a govt department as a senior marketing/PR person. My contract was up for renewal and despite my being told for the 6 weeks prior to the renewal date, I was told at 2pm on the last day that the role was being abolished. Tough titty.

Dardee, your problem was making the boss seem lacking….in a public setting, even tho it was not meant and he was not responsible…

Sadly today staff are increasingly being regarded no differntly than office furniture.

This is being exacerbated by increasing numbers on contract, so there is no stability….in the govt dept I was in, in my location 80% of the staff were on short-term funding with no guarantee beyond the end of their project.

Luckily I have a ‘hunger’, some call it entrepreneurial spirit, so I quickly dusted myself off…..and have been self income generating for 5 years.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I think most bosses that treat good staff as expendable don’t last very long.

Good staff are hard to find…

But then…running a business with lots of staff is hard…the boss probably dedicated a good portion of his/her life to getting there. They deserve some credit and respect even if they ARE ego maniacs :)

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Darren – that is a very unjust conclusion to all your hard work for that client. The owner simply wanted to save face!

Employers find it very hard to draw the line between being a good employer and acting for the good of their business. In both choices – integrity and courtesy are often compromised in practice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.