Home – New Forums Logistics Have you ever sent products to Nigeria?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Care Vitamins Online
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I have a buyer from Nigeria who wants to order vitamins products from Australia. The buyer wants to order more than 45 bottles and he has sent the credit card details to me.

I’m worried because I never send vitamins product to Nigeria before and he ordered quite big quantity.

Does anyone have experience about this before? I really appreciate if someone could share..

Thank you.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Care Vitamins Online, post: 182214 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I have a buyer from Nigeria who wants to order vitamins products from Australia. The buyer wants to order more than 45 bottles and he has sent the credit card details to me.

I’m worried because I never send vitamins product to Nigeria before and he ordered quite big quantity.

Does anyone have experience about this before? I really appreciate if someone could share..

Thank you.

As long as you ensure that the credit card has being honoured, and money safely tucked away in your account it should be fine. Make sure you get a quote on your postage/courier and include this in the money you take from the Credit card.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

In the words of Del Shannon……..”Runaway”!!!

No good will come from this.

No Limits
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

I had to check the calendar just quickly because I didn’t think we reached 1st April already…

Seriously, first 2 posts, what are you thinking.
    Have you only been on the internet for 1 week.
    Sorry to be so insulting but this is ridiculous.

Nigeria = Scam
    Google will reveal all.

Recovery Russ
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

While Nigerian internet scams are very common it does seem a little racist to assume every consumer from Nigeria is a scammer.

That being said, it is wise to exercise caution with any international transaction as if it goes pear shaped, trying to get your money back over borders can be particularly difficult, and more often than not. . . expensive.

I would recommend implementing a maximum first time order to limit your risk to loss if something does go wrong.

Don’t send any goods until funds have been received and cleared. Be careful with accepting payment by credit card as if the card is stolen the bank can issue a chargeback months after the transaction leaving you out of pocket. A cash transfer through something like Western Union would possibly be the safest, (I’m not 100% sure on exactly the safest method) that is after all how scammers themselves transfer funds so they don’t lose out when the scam is discovered.

Get as much info on your customer as is practical and if you are worried request a physical address to deliver to rather than a PO Box.

Most importantly google them, if they are legitimate there should be plenty of info on them online. Also google their name with the word “scam”. If they are a business you can do a free “who is” search on their web domain to find out who the site is registered to, and compare that to the other info they have given you. Also most countries have an online business register (Like ASIC) for public information on registered companies.

And if it does look dodgy, don’t be afraid to say no.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Care Vitamins Online
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Thank you all for the suggestions…

I really appreciate and once again thank you! :)

I wish you all success..

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Care

Just to add to the doubt, and understanding a little about your industry, Nigeria tends not to be a culture that uses vitamins and care products that you have.. if you had said China, Korea, Hong Kong or other similar i would certainly have said it should be ok and then implement maximums etc… Although, personally, i would tread very carefully and in fact, probably book myself some nitro to retreat from the query rather hastily :)

Orders can sometimes look too good to be true, and if so generally are.. May i ask, in your previous client dealings, have you ever sold that much to one person? The answer may put you on the right track.

Cheers
    Jason ;)

ps.. re some suggestions of getting the funds cleared through merchant and bank that money.. well, if you accept merchant facilities you will know a charge back can and will occur if it is fraudulent.. so take this advise with a grain of salt!

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi, I shipped goods for a client that had sold them to an American living in Nigeria but the buyer had to pay us direct for the shipping costs. I did everything the bank told me to do, ie get copy of the passport,etc and so did the supplier. Then documents was found to be false and bank would not clear the funds to either of us as the original documents were never sighted by either of us personally (something the bank never originally mentioned to me) and were found to be false so both me and the supplier lost money.

1/ google the company name and the persons name to see if it shows up associated with scams

2/ Only accept cash money transfer.

If you have the actual cash in your hands (not via credit card) than I see no dramas in going ahead with transaction.

Good luck :)

ExplorePayments
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi

When its too good to be true then it usually is … especially selling in a card not present environment.

I noticed that you are selling via paypal so my advice would be to contact paypal and ask them to verify the buyer before sending the goods. Paypal has a fraud team dedicated to merchant security so my advice is to use them. This might take a extra day or so but will give you peace of mind.

The same works if you have a merchant account with an acquiring bank. If you notice suspicious transactions then pick up the phone and ask the fraud team to verify the cardholder. They tend to be extremely helpful and can identify fraud from the outset.

Good luck
    Ian

Johny
    Up

While Nigerian internet scams are very common it does seem a little racist to assume every consumer from Nigeria is a scammer.

It can’t be “a little” racist. it’s either racist or not. And if it is, please clarify why. You removed the humourous pet kangaroo/crocodile wrestling comparison so I can’t figure it out.

It may be a negative stereotype or even prejudiced, but it aint racist. And quite frankly I couldn’t care less anyway. I’d rather the original poster saves their money than loses out from bad advice.

This is a scam and it is such a common scam that it involves no end of products, and Nigeria is a hub for this type of thing. If they don’t want people like me to hurt their feelings then their government should do something to fix it.

…trying to get your money back over borders can be particularly difficult, and more often than not. . . expensive.

No, short of sending in a team of mercenaries with names like Hannibal and BA, it will be virtually impossible.

A cash transfer through something like Western Union would possibly be the safest….

These guys have more methods to scam people than you and I have had hot breakfasts. Even sending money via WU is a common scam. Send a fake payment slip as proof of payment, ask for the goods to be sent as there is a bit of a delay in processing, presto, no money and you have already shipped the goods. Only has to work with 1 or 2 out of 1,000. They can even be so brazen as to ask for money to be sent as the goods have been stuck in customs and additional payment is required to release them.

Same type of thing can be done with Paypal.

Get as much info on your customer as is practical and if you are worried request a physical address to deliver to rather than a PO Box.

That may work in good old Oz, but do you really think having a physical address as opposed to a PO Box is going to make any difference there?

And finally, even continuing to communicate with these people potentially adds some problems. The more you chat with them, the more you tell them and the more they find out about you. Even if you don’t do a transaction, next thing they are using your email address to get access to scam others.

I do however agree that not all people form Nigeria are scammers. But for someone who has never done business there before, I am happy telling them to give it a very wide berth. Best to assume the worst and keep hold of your money/products.

Recovery Russ
    Up

Hi Johny,

Thanks for taking the time to dissect my advise, I agree with you for the most part (and you seem to agree with me) . . .however;

With the comment on racism, that’s semantics really, I said a little racist rather than “flat out racist” as my main point wasn’t about racism. Assuming all consumers in Nigeria are scammers is Racist, BUT if I were in the same situation I would be very cautious also, the chances of it being a scam are higher when coming from that part of the world, but not guaranteed. After I wrote the comment about wresling crocs I took it out as I it didn’t think it added anything to what I was saying and detracted from my point. In hindsight I could have left it in there. You must’ve seen it in the 1 minute between when I wrote it and took it out. Although sometime I do wish I had a pet Kangaroo.

Collecting debt overseas is possible and quite a common occurrence these days. When I said it was difficult to collect and often expensive I was speaking about collecting over borders in general. Obviously in different Countries the game changes significantly. Somewhere like Nigeria or South Africa having someone named Hannibal with a machete in your corner would more closely match the laws of the land there rather than a lawyer named Nigel with a Stat Dec who would have very slim chances of recovery there compared to somewhere like The USA, UK, Hong Kong or NZ.

I gave WU as an example of somewhere to send a cash transfer but I did clarify that I don’t know the safest method. My point was that some kind of cash transfer is safer than accepting a credit card, as you can still get a chargeback on a credit card payment after the funds have been deemed as cleared. The rules are definitely set up to protect consumers much more than businesses when it comes to these sort of things and those scammers are a crafty bunch.

My suggestion of getting a physical address rather than a PO Box is one additional thing to do to compare against other information you have, so if the physical delivery address matches the registered address of a legitimate registered business it adds some weight towards showing the customer as being legitimate. Just an address on its own, I agree, proves nothing and offers no security.

However based on what SimplyReplica said about Vitamins not being a general part of Nigerian culture adds weight to concerns that there possibly isn’t a market for a legitimate business to operate in the region that would require an order of that size.

So all in all, if you have significant doubts, as Johny said don’t continue to communicate.

Johny
    Up

Russ,

I wasn’t even going to reply after my original comment in this topic, but to be honest the “racist” comment annoyed me.

There is no “Nigerian” race and therefore the comment cannot be racist. Nigeria is made up of many different ethnicities and there are white Nigerians of British descent, just as there are Australians of Chinese/Indian etc decent.

That’s as per the dictionary and that’s the definition I use. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but ‘ll always respond when my comments are suggested to be racist. Had I said all black people are thieves, then sure hang me, but that’s not what was said.

By the way, I had a neighbour once who had pet kangaroos, and my wife once wrestled a foot long crocodile when I was living in Nth Qld.

Yes, collecting debt is very common, in a country where there is real law and order. As we are talking about Nigeria, that was my reference.

Simply Replica makes a valid point about vitamins, but the reality is that any product can be targeted. I get emails lvery regularly from Nigerian people looking to get access to all sorts of stuff and I am sure for anyone willing to spend some times, they will find heaps of examples of all sorts of different products from jet fuel and scrap metal to toys and stationery. Absolutely anything is fair game for them.

So that is the basis of my comments.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy Johny

Hope celebrations are going well?

Just to clarify, my point about vitamins was really just to raise yet another red flag.. not saying how to ‘justify’ and more tailored to this op. Personally, nigeria = no business zone for me ;) and I run several online presences…

Its hard as a small business, as I always come across those that try and see it as a real opportunity as they may need the sale or whatever. . Not saying this is the case here though. ..

Anyways, all the best mate.. I should be meeting you in april should all go to plan.. bourbon ready?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Recovery Russ
    Up

I never said you were racist Johny, I think you have taken a general statement as being directed at you and are getting sidetracked from the point of this thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.