Home – New Forums Tech talk Have you sold Digital Downloads from a Platform?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brionne Naish
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Hello folks,

I doing a bit of research into the digital download market and was wondering if anyone has used any of the digital download platforms?

Reason why i’m asking is because I am currently developing my own platform and would like to know what you liked/disliked about the platform you used (this could be the fees/difficulty in uploading files/ restrictions etc)

And if you are a download seller would you be interested in doing a test run on our platform to give us some feedback? The platform is still in a testing environment but everything can be done on it. More info is found at http://www.docsuey.com

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

I’ve only just started selling digital products, it’s probably too early to give any real feedback for you.

I’ve always found woocommerce / wordpress to be my core combination of tools for selling products online.

I’m also going to try selling through code canyon as well, so that far that process has been very slow to get approval through their systems. I also presume that uploading updates through there system will also be a long winded process.

Brionne Naish
    Up

Hi Byron, thanks for the reply.

May ask, when you sell on wordpress, is it through a wordpress online store/shopping cart or do you use a plug-in 3rd party service? And does it automatically send the buyer the download?

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    Up
    Brionne Naish, post: 251854, member: 100768 wrote:
    Hi Byron, thanks for the reply.

May ask, when you sell on wordpress, is it through a wordpress online store/shopping cart or do you use a plug-in 3rd party service? And does it automatically send the buyer the download?

It’s through self host WordPress and using Woocommerce as my shopping cart. It sends both an email on success with a link to download. The link can be set to expire after a period of time if you like.

It also has a confirmation page when you’ve successfully paid that has a link to download.

I’m trialling a 3rd party (codecanyon) which is an online marketplace for selling code / plugins etc. I’m still going through the approval process for a week and a half onwards or something now.

Brionne Naish
    Up
    Byron Trzeciak, post: 251874, member: 56118 wrote:
    It’s through self host WordPress and using Woocommerce as my shopping cart. It sends both an email on success with a link to download. The link can be set to expire after a period of time if you like.

It also has a confirmation page when you’ve successfully paid that has a link to download.

I’m trialling a 3rd party (codecanyon) which is an online marketplace for selling code / plugins etc. I’m still going through the approval process for a week and a half onwards or something now.

can i ask what you sell online?

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    Up

Custom WordPress plugins at this point.

Will probably venture into banner ads / display advert templates at some stage i.e. zip file of photoshop files etc.

Online courses in the future too, although I’m not sure my current setup will be good for that. Probably would look at something subscription based or more course oriented to deliver that content online.

winwinweb05
    Participant
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi,
    In case you are using WordPress. It is possible to do. There are few good plugins for Digital Downloads.I hope you can try it.

Brionne Naish
    Up
    winwinweb05, post: 251945, member: 87122 wrote:
    Hi,
    In case you are using WordPress. It is possible to do. There are few good plugins for Digital Downloads.I hope you can try it.

Heya,
    Is it difficult to add plug-ins to wordpress?

Do you think it would be easier just selling via a link that can be embedded into a button? (kind of like a paypal button)

winwinweb05
    Participant
    Up

If you know WordPress can able to do it. If you required help let me know.

Brionne Naish
    Up

Hi

winwinweb05, post: 251968, member: 87122 wrote:
    If you know WordPress can able to do it. If you required help let me know.
    Hi Kamara,

Do you get many of your website clients asking for digital download features in the sites you create?

winwinweb05
    Participant
    Up

Hi Brionne,

Not many websites. I create websites based on client need also add our valuable suggestions to it for a better result. digital download features mostly applicable to study materials, Tutorials in the form of PDF.

Kindly let me know if you need any assistance.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

A couple of years ago I was selling digital downloads from a website. The downloads were a package of different file types gzipped (mainly PDF and Spreadsheets).

My solution at the time was ECWID a JavaScript shopping cart you can drop into any web page with a few lines of code, they provide all the backend requirements.

I think they now charge $15 US a month as a minimum entry point for digital download stuff and the file size is limited unless you go for a premium plan. They do integrate with Facebook but I’m not sure about anything else.

When I used it digital downloads were part of their ‘free plan’ (10 SKU, I think).

Their system is easy and intuitive to use imo, but if I was doing it again I’d try your system out if it’s simple to embed and the price was right.

Good luck with it.

Brionne Naish
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 251997, member: 38207 wrote:
    A couple of years ago I was selling digital downloads from a website. The downloads were a package of different file types gzipped (mainly PDF and Spreadsheets).

My solution at the time was ECWID a JavaScript shopping cart you can drop into any web page with a few lines of code, they provide all the backend requirements.

I think they now charge $15 US a month as a minimum entry point for digital download stuff and the file size is limited unless you go for a premium plan. They do integrate with Facebook but I’m not sure about anything else.

When I used it digital downloads were part of their ‘free plan’ (10 SKU, I think).

Their system is easy and intuitive to use imo, but if I was doing it again I’d try your system out if it’s simple to embed and the price was right.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Ian, thats good to know. We looked at how to create something that did not require any kind of coding or fiddling around with integration, so our platform does everything needed such as collect payment and distribute files.

:)

winwinweb05
    Participant
    Up

I know you’re looking for an idea to develop. I think you have a mockup for design.

https://www.customsoftwaregroup.com/docsuey

If you are looking to sell a product or service. It is good to go with Framework.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Brionne,

I sell digital downloads (Document and Training), I’ve been doing this for about 5 years. This is my passive income stream.

I sell documents in Zip files and single documents (Word, PPT, Excel or PDF) – I have used or I am currently using:

WordPress with Woo Commerce – I found that Woo Commerce was too bloated for what I specifically needed with many updates so I stopped this and changed to EDD (next on the list). (Was hosted on my VPS)

WordPress with Easy Digital downloads plugin with PayPal (This is by far the easiest WP plugin for DD and Software licenses – with an addon) It is specifically designed for DD (Hosted on my VPS) – Once again maintenance and updates need to done regularly.

I also use DPD (https://getdpd.com/) for external buttons on social media and landing pages for promotions or launches and their pricing is super simple being that it’s a flat rate and they have PDF stamping and encryption as part of their service. I also don’t have the maintenance to worry about – YEAH.

I also have a Shopify store for DD, which requires zero maintenance and that is why I use it. But this site is used by 4 other people as well, we’ve sort of made a mini marketplace between us all. It has the feature of managing the different authors, so the payouts go to who owns the product.

I like your concept, just make sure to keep your prices simple. I put the link to the DPD site for your reference so you can see the simplicity of their pricing.

Selz with Digital Ninja is another popular one for people without a website or only want a simple landing page for their eBooks.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the features of your platform.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.