Home – New Forums Tech talk Have you sold Digital Downloads from a Platform?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brionne Naish
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::
    Mischelle, post: 252042, member: 60404 wrote:
    Hi Brionne,

I sell digital downloads (Document and Training), I’ve been doing this for about 5 years. This is my passive income stream.

I sell documents in Zip files and single documents (Word, PPT, Excel or PDF) – I have used or I am currently using:

WordPress with Woo Commerce – I found that Woo Commerce was too bloated for what I specifically needed with many updates so I stopped this and changed to EDD (next on the list). (Was hosted on my VPS)

WordPress with Easy Digital downloads plugin with PayPal (This is by far the easiest WP plugin for DD and Software licenses – with an addon) It is specifically designed for DD (Hosted on my VPS) – Once again maintenance and updates need to done regularly.

I also use DPD (https://getdpd.com/) for external buttons on social media and landing pages for promotions or launches and their pricing is super simple being that it’s a flat rate and they have PDF stamping and encryption as part of their service. I also don’t have the maintenance to worry about – YEAH.

I also have a Shopify store for DD, which requires zero maintenance and that is why I use it. But this site is used by 4 other people as well, we’ve sort of made a mini marketplace between us all. It has the feature of managing the different authors, so the payouts go to who owns the product.

I like your concept, just make sure to keep your prices simple. I put the link to the DPD site for your reference so you can see the simplicity of their pricing.

Selz with Digital Ninja is another popular one for people without a website or only want a simple landing page for their eBooks.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the features of your platform.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

Hi Mischelle,
    thanks so much for that info, very informative. I jumped on the DPD site and took a look around. Our platform is entirely different in that it does not provide shopping cart facilities or a store as such. We thought we would steer clear of that and make it as simple as possible with the least amount of fiddling around.
    Our platform offers a simple link for people to share on social sites or embed on their own website and that link collects the payment and sends the file and all they have to do to get the link is upload their file and set their selling preferences.
    May I ask, do you think it would be problematic for people to sell with just a link? Can you foresee any difficulties for yourself if you were selling in such a way….imagine, no shopping cart, just a link you send via social sites or embeded on your webpage in a buy now button?

Brionne Naish
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 251997, member: 38207 wrote:
    A couple of years ago I was selling digital downloads from a website. The downloads were a package of different file types gzipped (mainly PDF and Spreadsheets).

My solution at the time was ECWID a JavaScript shopping cart you can drop into any web page with a few lines of code, they provide all the backend requirements.

I think they now charge $15 US a month as a minimum entry point for digital download stuff and the file size is limited unless you go for a premium plan. They do integrate with Facebook but I’m not sure about anything else.

When I used it digital downloads were part of their ‘free plan’ (10 SKU, I think).

Their system is easy and intuitive to use imo, but if I was doing it again I’d try your system out if it’s simple to embed and the price was right.

Good luck with it.

winwinweb05, post: 252036, member: 87122 wrote:
    I know you’re looking for an idea to develop. I think you have a mockup for design.

https://www.customsoftwaregroup.com/docsuey

If you are looking to sell a product or service. It is good to go with Framework.
    hey there,
    We do have the framework, currently under development getting very near finished.
    We are building MVP to begin, not too many features yet, just the ability to upload the file (we are using google firebase as the hosting) set the selling settings, ie currency, price , image, summary details. Once they are saved you can obtain the link to share on social sites or embed in a button on your own website. When the link is clicked, it opens up your sale page and allows the buyer to purchase.

Do you think it would be a difficult way to sell on line doing it without a shopping cart or store facility?

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Brionne,

It is a little similar to Selz and DPD, where I load on their site and share the “BUY NOW” button on social media or a landing page and the payment goes through them and they distribute the product via email/download.

Your Comment: Our platform offers a simple link for people to share on social sites or embed on their own website and that link collects the payment and sends the file

So you collect the payment and send the file and then send the payment to the owner/author? Is that correct?

So when a person clicks on Buy Now and payment gateway is attached (IE PayPal)?

I don’t foresee any issues as long as security is good and payments gateways are well known.

Unless I have misunderstood something :):):rolleyes:

Cheers
    Mischelle :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Brionne Naish, post: 252053, member: 100768 wrote:
    hey there,
    We do have the framework, currently under development getting very near finished.
    We are building MVP to begin, not too many features yet, just the ability to upload the file (we are using google firebase as the hosting) set the selling settings, ie currency, price , image, summary details. Once they are saved you can obtain the link to share on social sites or embed in a button on your own website. When the link is clicked, it opens up your sale page and allows the buyer to purchase.

Do you think it would be a difficult way to sell on line doing it without a shopping cart or store facility?

I think it sounds like a good idea for digital downloads especially without the bloat of a full shopping system a long as you have an existing medium to promote the initial product.

BTW, I’ve started using Firebase (in a very limited manner atm) it’s a very cool gadget so far.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.