Home – New Forums Tech talk Having huge issues transferring WP site offline to live

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bigmouthmedia
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

I’ve been developing my site offline on the Mac production computer with Bitnami, no issues.

I’ve gone to transfer it to the live site and I’m having huge issues with the site drawing properly, and I can’t access the WP backend.

I’ve followed a few guides and even though it all seems to be right in the process, I’m hitting a brick wall – and need someone with more experience to troubleshoot this.

Friendly advice (or paid) would be ideal asap. :)

EthiSEC
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

I’m far from a WP expert but It may be something as simple as a permissions problem on the production server meaning WP can’t access some information, have you checked these first?

I find a good way to start tracking down issues is to have a look at the Access and Error log files for the site.

It is typical for error messages to give you a good place to start looking.

HTH,

Jason

ShadowPro
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

I’ve never used Bitnami, but I assume it’s a desktop web server?

If so you need to do this to move a WP website (you may want to skip right to point 5. first as it’s the most likely cause of not accessing WP-admin correctly);

1. Copy all files to root of publicHTML.
    2. Import database. Either through restore or create a new DB and do an import through PHPmyadmin.
    3. Create new database users in cPanel, user and add to the database with all permissions.
    4. Change wpconfig.php to reflect;
    new database name
    new database user
    new password
    5. go into PHPMyAdmin and change lines in WPOptions. for Mysite and Address (I think). These settings are the same as you’d set in WP admin>Settings>general for site location.

If you’ve done all that correctly it should now be publically available as long as your domain is set right.

Also try from a different PC as Bitnami might screw with your DNS resolution.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

The absolutely easiest way to move a WordPress site is using BackupBuddy.

Cheers,

Matt

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Bitnami is usually a prepackaged stack set up for an auto install on AWS or MS Azure.

Is that how you’re using it?

They build images for different stacks ready for AWS … haven’t used WordPress on it though.

There won’t be any Cpanel.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

While I can’t guarantee I’ll definitely get it working, happy to chat tomorrow and possibly setup a remote session to try and view where you’re going wrong?

Send me a PM :)

niknah
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    bigmouthmedia, post: 192040 wrote:
    I’ve gone to transfer it to the live site and I’m having huge issues with the site drawing properly, and I can’t access the WP backend.

You’ll need the password to the wordpress backend to do anything. You can change it via mysql’s wp_users table.
    The site not drawing properly sounds like a missing css issue maybe, in the browser press F12 and look for errors.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Why did you build it offline?

Best to just do it online, block all SE bots and crawlers, then D/L a copy locally once you’re done.

Working locally is really only essential if the dev work is comprehensive. I guess Xampp doesn’t run on MAC’s?

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 192204 wrote:
    Why did you build it offline?

Best to just do it online, block all SE bots and crawlers, then D/L a copy locally once you’re done.

Working locally is really only essential if the dev work is comprehensive. I guess Xampp doesn’t run on MAC’s?

Bitnami is a little like Xampp, it’s a self contained “stack” independent of the OS;

– WordPress 3.9.1
    – Apache 2.4.9
    – Varnish 3.0.5
    – MySQL 5.5.36
    – PHP 5.4.28
    – phpMyAdmin 4.1.12

The above is what comes in the stack. You can install it locally or they have Cloud “images” ready to roll on AWS or MS Azure. They do the same with server instances.

I think the OP’s issue is deploying it (or getting it to work afterwards) … why I asked how he’s using it … Cloud deployment will be different to a conventional server install, especially one on shared hosting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.