• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    seb
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    ::

Hi guys! Just thought I’d introduce myself, my name is Seb and I’m from Sydney. I’ve just left a ten year stable career to focus on some of my business interests and go at it alone! I’m keen to inspire confidence in others who may be thinking of starting but aren’t quite sure, and have even set myself a challenge to build a business in 7 days and for under $500. Looking forward to getting to know some other solo-ists!

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Welcome on Board Seb.

That is a very limited budget .. I would love to see how you plan on doing it!

What industry are you looking to start in?

seb
    Up
    exstatic, post: 23941 wrote:
    Welcome on Board Seb.

That is a very limited budget .. I would love to see how you plan on doing it!

What industry are you looking to start in?
    Thanks! Very limited budget (it is a challenge after all!) The project is to build an online service to manage car tax expenses, which you update via sms or email. At the end of a business trip a customer would text in their odometer reading and a comment and the service would record it in their ‘log book’. A the end of the year they would be able to down load a tax statement.

$500 is very very tight which forces me to look at alternate ways of doing things (for example, the SMS gateway…) I’ve started the challenge today (doing research, how I found flyingsolo!) and will be posting pretty much everything on my blog at http://www.semi-blog.com

michellecanda69
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    seb, post: 23947 wrote:
    Thanks! Very limited budget (it is a challenge after all!) The project is to build an online service to manage car tax expenses, which you update via sms or email. At the end of a business trip a customer would text in their odometer reading and a comment and the service would record it in their ‘log book’. A the end of the year they would be able to down load a tax statement.

$500 is very very tight which forces me to look at alternate ways of doing things (for example, the SMS gateway…) I’ve started the challenge today (doing research, how I found flyingsolo!) and will be posting pretty much everything on my blog at http://www.semi-blog.com

Frankly speaking, I am not really familiar with the system because I am into network marketing and on focusing my dreams. But I can sense that you are very serious about this so go on and continue. Good luck!

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Hi Seb,

From a tax point of view – a logbook with odometer readings only needs to be kept for 12 continuous weeks and not for a full year (thank goodness!). As for using cents per km method – taxpayers need to be able to justify upto a maximum of 5000 business km’s

My other queries would be:
    Would your software be recording other motor vehicle expenses?
    Who would this software be aimed for? (On the road professionals?)
    How much would it cost to use this service? (SMS cost only?)

seb
    Up

Thanks for the feedback everyone! @FletcherTax I wasn’t intending to, but there is no reason why I can’t have a table to store other vehicle related expenses. That probably won’t be achievable in the first seven days of the challenge but is definitely a potential upgrade, thanks for the tip. The concept is pitched at small business owners who spend a fair bit of time on the road. I haven’t knuckled down the cost model yet, but the SMS will be standard SMS rate (22c or what ever it is these days), trip updates via email will be free and there will be a monthly charge of around $5-7.

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Seb
    Welcome to the forum and good luck – sounds challenging but fun!

seb
    Up
    Ideas Book, post: 24108 wrote:
    Hi Seb
    Welcome to the forum and good luck – sounds challenging but fun!

:) Thanks! It has been quite tough so far, but definitely enjoyable!

Fred Smith
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hey Seb,
    It’s cool that you’re documenting your process. I’ll be following because I’m interested about the SMS gateway component from a technical POV

Not sure about the business model though. Seems that the technology doesn’t add much value in this case – don’t you think that pencil and paper are just a lot easier?

Also I think it would be hard to convince people to pay a monthly fee. Maybe a one off payment of $30 would work better?

all the best,
    Eli

seb
    Up
    Eli Sieradzki, post: 24446 wrote:
    Hey Seb,
    It’s cool that you’re documenting your process. I’ll be following because I’m interested about the SMS gateway component from a technical POV

Not sure about the business model though. Seems that the technology doesn’t add much value in this case – don’t you think that pencil and paper are just a lot easier?

Also I think it would be hard to convince people to pay a monthly fee. Maybe a one off payment of $30 would work better?

all the best,
    Eli
    Thanks for the feedback! I intend to go into a fair bit of detail on the technical aspects of the gateway on Saturday when I piece it together, so look out for posts there!

The big advantage in my view of using a technology based system is two fold – 1/ you’re less likely to forget to add a trip using your phone as you are less likely to lose your phone, and 2/ you don’t have to type up your 1000 trips at the end of the year!

I think you’re completely right with the monthly fee thing… I’m starting to head down the path of a six month or 12 month package.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.