• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nick911
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

I am Nick and I am quite new to running a business. Ill be moving into fashion / men’s clothing (business casual, suits etc.) I have decided to give it a go for a number of reasons but mostly because I think if I am successful at it, it will be extremely rewarding to build something from the ground up.

Ill be here mostly lurking and learning for the time being.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Welcome Nick, I hope we can answer any questions you might have, and please feel free to contribute.

Nick911
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 266177, member: 28171 wrote:
    Welcome Nick, I hope we can answer any questions you might have, and please feel free to contribute.

Hey, thanks for the welcome. It is a very neat forum, something that I have been looking for, for a long time to be honest.

I do need a good knowledge base. I mean, I do understand the fundamentals of business (for me, its presentation, consistent good reputation, deliver what you promise.. and of course, balance your books properly!) But I am sure there is 100 other things I am not thinking of.

I will be starting off as an online business to keep overheads low then if people like my product, I will consider moving to a physical business location.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Well done for making it a go. There are people here with a lot of experience in all facets of running a business so take advantage of that experience. be aware though we tend to speak our minds so if you get some negative feedback don’t take it as personal, instead learn from it and tray to take it as help.

It is also expected that you do some of your own research before asking questions. if you find information that is confusing or contradictory then we will help you sort it out.

Nick911
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 266182, member: 28171 wrote:
    Well done for making it a go. There are people here with a lot of experience in all facets of running a business so take advantage of that experience. be aware though we tend to speak our minds so if you get some negative feedback don’t take it as personal, instead learn from it and tray to take it as help.

It is also expected that you do some of your own research before asking questions. if you find information that is confusing or contradictory then we will help you sort it out.

I totally understand about the negative feedback and the research.

I do tend to enjoy doing my own research but I joined up because I find most business blogs and the like to be at times either inaccurate or off point to my question.

Getting a human, personalised response is a lot better.

I doubt I will get much negative feedback :) I know when and how to pose a question to reduce that sort of thing, and I would never give someone advice unless I knew exactly what I was talking about.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Nick911, post: 266183, member: 115130 wrote:

I doubt I will get much negative feedback :) I know when and how to pose a question to reduce that sort of thing,

And that there is the reason a lot of people fail in business and in life, they only seek out positive feedback.

I see it all to often on here, people get grumpy when given negative feedback, but I have always found that my business has grown, when I have taken on and listened to negative feedback. Just as an example when I go to a new client one of my first questions is ”what didnt you like about the previous person”, thats always very enlightening, and when I say why didnt you talk to them about it, ”oh they got grumpy”. So they have lost a client because they didnt take on and react to negative feedback.

You may get 20 people saying something is good, but its more important to listen to that one person who says something is wrong, because thats where you as a person, and as a business will grow.

I see it all to often on here, everyone says great, great, great, but no one points out the big error staring everyone in the face. But I guess that is because most on here are trying to win favours to gain more business, so you have to stay positive.

Seek and be inspired by negative feedback.

Nick911
    Up
    bb1, post: 266184, member: 53375 wrote:
    And that there is the reason a lot of people fail in business and in life, they only seek out positive feedback.

No no. You misunderstand, Sir. Let me put it another way. I want to be good at what I do, I want my business to succeed. I stay up close to 18 hours a day reading and investigating everything I can to ensure my business will take off and thrive. I haven’t gone live yet and wont until I am sure it’s going to lift off. Even then, like I said in a previous post, most likely I would have over looked or forgotten one hundred different things, and I am OK with that because what ever arises, Ill over come it.

The same as criticism. It’s all a bit of a drawing board for me. And like I said. I am here to learn (although now, I see joining this site has even bigger advantages).

This will be my first business and I find human interaction is much better than simply reading a blog or post about what I am looking for. With human interaction comes positives and negatives. I am a gown man. I understand that quite well.

bb1, post: 266184, member: 53375 wrote:
    I see it all to often on here, people get grumpy when given negative feedback, but I have always found that my business has grown, when I have taken on and listened to negative feedback. Just as an example when I go to a new client one of my first questions is ”what didnt you like about the previous person”, thats always very enlightening, and when I say why didnt you talk to them about it, ”oh they got grumpy”. So they have lost a client because they didnt take on and react to negative feedback.

You may get 20 people saying something is good, but its more important to listen to that one person who says something is wrong, because thats where you as a person, and as a business will grow.

I see it all to often on here, everyone says great, great, great, but no one points out the big error staring everyone in the face. But I guess that is because most on here are trying to win favours to gain more business, so you have to stay positive.

Seek and be inspired by negative feedback.

An interesting read. I do look forward to more input from you, but honestly I have not reached the stage in my business yet, that warrants feedback. Positive or negative.

LukeHally
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

Good luck with your business. Are you planning on a brick and mortar store, online or mixed?

Nick911
    Up

Hello and thank you, Luke.

The long term goal is a hybrid combination of brick and mortar / online but for now I will stick to online for a few different reasons.

My interest in business started a year ago. I decided to pull up a stake from a 9 to 5 and really start to invest in my own business. It’s always been an interest but I never thought I would ever turn it into a reality.

The reason why online to begin with is because all to often I see brick and mortars open up and then six months later close right back down again, leaving the owner with either nothing or just plain debt. It’s even happened to a family member of mine.

I figure with an online business, I can run it from home and cut down on so many costs and unnecessary hassle, that is of course until I have an established brand and reputation. A good solid client base as it were. Then move on to the brick and mortar.

LukeHally
    Up

I can’t say I know much about retail. I can see challenges in both. Online- how do people know it will fit and that they can trust your return policy? Physical store – as you said, a big investment in store setup and rent.

I wonder if a pop up store would work well to build customer rapport, at least in a specific location?

Nick911
    Up
    LukeHally, post: 266217, member: 68089 wrote:
    I can’t say I know much about retail. I can see challenges in both. Online- how do people know it will fit and that they can trust your return policy? Physical store – as you said, a big investment in store setup and rent.

I wonder if a pop up store would work well to build customer rapport, at least in a specific location?

I do have a reasonably strong background in retail myself. I notice your background is web development (I almost got into that a while back.)

To answer your question though, The products from my store are individually hand crafted to customer specifications. They provide the measurements and anything else they need and my wholesaler does the rest.

If something does not fit as it should, my wholesaler has assured me that returns for alterations are free of cost. If he goes back on his word, I will eat the cost myself and then find a new wholesaler. I am hoping that won’t be the case though.

LukeHally
    Up
    Nick911, post: 266218, member: 115130 wrote:
    I do have a reasonably strong background in retail myself. I notice your background is web development (I almost got into that a while back.)

To answer your question though, The products from my store are individually hand crafted to customer specifications. They provide the measurements and anything else they need and my wholesaler does the rest.

If something does not fit as it should, my wholesaler has assured me that returns for alterations are free of cost. If he goes back on his word, I will eat the cost myself and then find a new wholesaler. I am hoping that won’t be the case though.
    That’s correct, only been involved in the web side of retail – mainly FMCG. Looked after Coles online for a year, built a portal for Budweiser and now small business ecommerce sites for my wife’s business.

Sounds like a great arrangement with your wholesaler. Good luck with it and hit me up when you are ready for a site!

Nick911
    Up
    LukeHally, post: 266219, member: 68089 wrote:
    That’s correct, only been involved in the web side of retail – mainly FMCG. Looked after Coles online for a year, built a portal for Budweiser and now small business ecommerce sites for my wife’s business.

Sounds like a great arrangement with your wholesaler. Good luck with it and hit me up when you are ready for a site!

Those indeed are some big names!

I am using premium wix for now but have found it rather limited in its capability. I haven’t finished the website as of yet (once I do, I would love for you to have a look before a soft opening)

As the business grows I am sure I will be in need of your services!

Let me know if you need a custom tailored suit! ;)

LukeHally
    Up
    Nick911, post: 266220, member: 115130 wrote:
    Let me know if you need a custom tailored suit! ;)
    Put a link in your signature or pm me the address and I’ll know where to go
    Kittyzero
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Good luck with your new venture :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.